Jump to ratings and reviews

Nancy Clancy Chapter Books #2

Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer

For young readers who grew up with the bestselling picture books, Nancy Clancy is now starring in her own chapter books!

Love is in the air! Nancy and Bree decide to play matchmaker, but nothing works out as planned. Will love conquer all in the end?

Fans of Fancy Nancy will delight in joining Nancy Clancy as she takes on love in the second chapter book in the series. Perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day of the year, this story shows the beauty of true friendship.

112 pages, Hardcover

Published January 2, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jane O'Connor

313 books336 followers
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 132 reviews
Profile Image for Tia.
876 reviews322 followers
February 5, 2023
Cute! Love the friendship between Nancy and Bree. Also the illustrations in these books are beautiful!
Profile Image for Chloe (Always Booked).
1,851 reviews120 followers
January 16, 2022
3.5 stars. I really like the fancy nancy books, I just didnt love all the emphasis on dating and teen love. Nancy is a romantic at heart so its not surprising, I just don't want my girls to think they need to or should find eternal love as a teen (or that its even likely to happen). Still a cute valentines day story.
Profile Image for Christian Fiction Addiction.
689 reviews317 followers
February 12, 2013
Nancy Clancy returns in an all new chapter book, and love is in the air! Nancy and her best friend, Bree, are learning about the human heart in science class, and they start wondering, what makes people fall in love? When Nancy's guitar teacher, Andy, and their favourite babysitter, Annie, break up with the people they had been dating, both Nancy and Bree decide to take on the role of matchmaker. But they soon discover that making them fall in love, even on Valentine's Day, isn't quite as easy as they thought it would be.

Jane O'Connor's latest Nancy book is sure to please girls who have grown up on Fancy Nancy picture books and are ready to move on to chapter books that deal with issues more appropriate for older girls. I must admit that my oldest daughter is still very naive, and that although she's 8, she didn't quite relate to Nancy's quest to make 2 teenagers fall in love. However, I also know that she's not typical for her age and that many girls in that age group are very focused on thoughts of love and what it means to date and find your perfect match. Like other books starring Nancy Clancy, the book is well-written and easy to read, featuring Robin's splendid and lively pictures that make Fancy Nancy a truly wonderful character. I love that these books continue to highlight themes of friendship and families who stick close together, making Nancy a character worth returning to.

If you are looking for a fun book to give your daughter, aged 6-10, just in time for Valentine's Day this year, then consider Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer. I give it a solid recommendation of 4 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of publicist Sonya Koson with HarperCollinsCanada, Ltd. Available from your favorite book retailer from Zondervan, a division of HarperCollins.
Profile Image for Tracey.
498 reviews16 followers
November 27, 2017
Nancy is a very sweet little girl and a true romantic. She has a super teacher, Mr Dudeny - who encourages the children to expand their minds and encourages his learners to rather seek out the best in children by changing the exchange of valentine's day cards to appreciation cards. Each child must write an appreciation card for each child in the class. Lovely lesson! Any-ho, Nancy and Bree come up with an idea to get the music teacher and the babysitter together, as they feel that they would make a perfect pair.
Profile Image for Judy.
436 reviews
April 9, 2019
If only true love can just pop out of the blue and remain eternal (another word for forever) we get a blissful (another word for happy) ending always. This 2part book made my weekend. Yay!
Profile Image for Margaret Chind.
3,130 reviews210 followers
May 16, 2014
scheduled: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...

Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth was a great read and a fantastic early chapter book so I couldn't wait to jump into Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer . However, Secret Admirer took us much longer to read because the interest just wasn't there. In the earliest reader books I'm not too interested in matchmaking and romance for my girls and they're were more into requesting The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Uncle Wiggily's Story Book and of course the new Amelia Bedelia Road Trip! chapter books. We LOVE Fancy Nancy and cannot wait to get our hands on Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy Sees the Future as some how we missed that one and the latest Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret of the Silver Key has just arrived. I have much higher hopes for these. There are plenty of ways to tell a mystery for young readers that is not all caught up in the romance.

However, with all that said, in the end I do enjoy how the book was written and the things that the girls did. Since these books do not truly have to build upon each other in a series... I'd suggest that this one would be find if you had an older, preteen reading it, but would skip it for the youngest section of Fancy Nancy chapter book readers.

Reviewer copy.
Profile Image for Elissa Schaeffer.
387 reviews9 followers
January 20, 2013
While I liked the first one better, this is another cute albeit frequently done story about setting up friends using the secret admirer method. Nancy and Bree are as charming as ever (although I wish the relationship with Grace was better). These are great books for those that are done with early chapter books but not necessarily ready for the longer chapter books. Of course recommended for fans of Fancy Nancy but also for those that aren't familiar with the picture books or early chapter books.
Profile Image for Shelli.
4,991 reviews41 followers
January 13, 2013
I enjoyed this Fancy Nancy or "Nancy Clancy" book much more than the first in the series. Nancy and Bree's personalities fit more with the wonderful picture book characters that I have grown to love. In this book Nancy and Bree concoct a plan to get Nancy's teenage guitar teacher and Bree's babysitter together. A great series for fans of the Fancy Nancy picture books and for young girls who are ready to start small chapter books.
Read
December 8, 2020
Eleanor and I love these Nancy Clancy books and I am so glad we found them. We are getting a lot of reading done while we are in this quarantine and I had to order the rest of the series on Amazon and Eleanor is about to lose her mind because they’re not here yet.

Eleanor says: I LOVE THIS BOOK! I loved it because it involves their friends and it was about love. Andy and Annie knew each other for a long time. Maybe they will fall in love. My favorite part was EVERYTHING!
Profile Image for Lorri.
178 reviews5 followers
March 30, 2013
This is a nice story for the older kids, with more pages and fewer illustrations. Nancy and Bree decide to become matchmakers, but it isn't as easy as they think it will be. After all their hard work, will Annie and Dave get together?

This post was written for the sponsor who provided the complimentary product for review in exchange for my honest opinions.
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,179 reviews316 followers
February 24, 2016
My daughter and I had a great time reading this one together. I love that the Fancy Nancy books are aging with kids. This one's Valentines Day theme of love and matchmaking was particularly adorable. (Though I do wish we could have seen more of the Clara storyline, with her actually sitting at Nancy's lunch table).
Profile Image for Piper Bolin.
10 reviews4 followers
March 2, 2016
This book was fun because Nancy and her friend Bree helped two teenagers fall in love, Annie and Andy. Lovebirds.
February 21, 2019
I can't believe this book has a kids' book. The book has an inappropriate content for children. It is very surprising that it has such positive comments.
Profile Image for Brooke.
124 reviews
May 14, 2013
this book is awesome i can't wait to read the 3rd book
March 17, 2021
I liked when the heart beats with Grace's heart beating 96 times, and Clara's beating only 7 times. Annie is Nancy and Bree's babysitter. Andy taught Nancy an old rock classic called "Wild Thing." Nancy couldn't play "Wild Thing" anymore. Andy and Annie fell in love. Andy was playing his guitar at the Candy Cafe for some little kids' birthday party. All Nancy and Bree heard were kids singing "Happy Birthday" to guitar music. The Candy Cafe was next door to Belle's Fashion Police. Nancy asked "Can we please go to Belle's Fashion Police?" Her mom looked ready to say no. Annie, Nancy, and Bree went to an all-dessert party. We waited for Annie and Andy to arrive.
Profile Image for Sean Harding.
3,259 reviews22 followers
July 24, 2018
This is the second of the Nancy Clancy books and it is another mystery lite book, for younger readers with similar issues to the first book, but entertaining enough.
Interestingly I had not realised that Nancy was involved in a long running series set when she was younger called Fancy Nancy, so there you go, I come without that back knowledge, not that it would be a pre-reuisite though.
The lead character Nancy Clancy is charming and really lifts the story above average.
Profile Image for Mandy.
6 reviews4 followers
October 21, 2019
My daughter and I loved the first book in the series, so I was disappointed that this one was too mature for being an early chapterbook. Way too much talk of love, boyfriends, and romantic themes.

Also Riding their bikes across town without permission, then riding in a truck with her guitar teacher prompted some big conversations about safety for us!
Profile Image for Sienna.
16 reviews1 follower
February 26, 2018
So they were trying to make Annie and Andy fall in Love, and at the end they thought maybe they thought maybe they would fall in love later. I think it was 5 stars because I think I am more like Bree.
Profile Image for Karla.
190 reviews
May 3, 2018
The second book of this series was cute. I loved that there was a story throughout that I could see and my 6 year old realized in the end that the whole book led up to that moment. It was great to read it with her.
Profile Image for Bonnie Dennis.
56 reviews14 followers
June 3, 2020
Nancy Clancy and the Secret Admirer

I chose 5 stars

I chose this book because it's a really good book
I like it because I like love and secret admirers
I think this is a good book for little girls and boys
Profile Image for Destiny.
30 reviews
August 13, 2017
Super fun and easy read! Read it in about 35 minutes and absolutely enjoyed this quick read!
101 reviews1 follower
October 3, 2018
My kids loved it. Perhaps a bit too much for my almost 5 year old. But she loved all the “love talk.”
25 reviews
January 2, 2019
Nancy Clancy makes 3 more new friends in this book. Nancy formed a new club with Bree to scare her sister. They never say bad words.
Profile Image for Renel Ralston.
192 reviews6 followers
March 27, 2019
This was our least favorite of the series. It’s not really appropriate content even though it’s innocent? I just would have rather skipped this one.
Profile Image for Paige.
187 reviews3 followers
April 3, 2019
Enjoying reading this series to my 6 year old.
Profile Image for Lily.
20 reviews
January 3, 2020
Love was in the air. Though Nancy and her friend Bree want to get two teenagers together.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 132 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.