Jump to ratings and reviews

The Bane Chronicles #9

The Last Stand of the New York Institute

Magnus meets Valentine in battle as the Circle attacks the Downworlders of New York City.

In the time of the Uprising, Valentine’s Circle goes after Downworlders in New York...and the Shadowhunters of the Institute must decide whether to join him, or fight with Magnus and his kind. This is the first time Magnus sees Jocelyn, Luke, and Stephen—but not the last. It is not long before Jocelyn seeks him out...

40 pages, ebook

First published December 17, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cassandra Clare

185 books262k followers
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and a New York Times bestseller. Cassandra lives with her fiance and their two cats in Massachusetts."

You can find me online at

www.cassandraclare.com

I have a blog:

and a Facebook:

and a Twitter:

www.twitter.com/cassieclare

I'll be available here on Goodreads to answer questions for a Goodreads Author Discussion starting September 18 — http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

Go sign up so you don't miss the conversation when it starts!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
330 (3%)
1 star
87 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 792 reviews
Profile Image for Claudia Lomelí.
Author 8 books74.3k followers
April 16, 2017
I was going to give it 4 stars BUT THEN Tessa and Jocelyn and baby Clary AND IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. They even mentioned Will and Jem and OHTHEFEELS.
Profile Image for Beth.
676 reviews572 followers
March 13, 2020
I felt a bit sad reading this... Valentine, y u so mean?!

What Really Happened in Peru - 2 Stars
What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything - 4 Stars
The Last Stand of the New York Institute - 4 Stars
The Course of True Love [and First Dates] - 4 Stars
The Voicemail of Magnus Bane - 4 Stars
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,157 reviews97.9k followers
October 15, 2018
“It was one of the few things he had to believe in, the possibility of beauty when faced with the reality of so much ugliness.”

The start of this novel and the homophobia really surprised me. I actually loved how Cassie Clare blatantly brought it up, rather than using metaphors with the oppression of the Downworlders, even though it hurt to see. But this short story also made me fall even more in love with Catarina, who is working at an HIV clinic because even people in the medical field can hold hateful prejudices. But the middle of this story, we got to see the behind the scenes start of Valentine and his (mostly) brainwashed circle. But the end of this story was the shining light! Seeing Tessa accept Clary with literal open arms made me tear up. Seeing her talk about her loves, her losses, and giving Jocelyn’s child a new start was really beautiful and made me very emotional. I loved this one, friends.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

(I read this in The Bane Chronicles!) ✨
Profile Image for Joana.
604 reviews56 followers
November 29, 2018
This was so heartbreaking!!! Seeing Tessa and all the mentions to Will and Jem.. Is just to much for me. Every time that I see their names it breaks me, it remembers me of everything from Clockwork Princess and I just can't deal with it. Is so much pain!! :'(

I hate Valentine !! And I have to say that Luke was really annoying in this book. I like him now but jeez.. Valentine was his Parabatai and I don't get how could he do what he did to Luke. So many Parabatais... Even Michael and Robert... So sad. :(

I love Magnus and it keeps surprising me how big a heart he has. How he helps everyone even when they done bad things. He is always loosing people but... oh my poor Magnus I love you! He was so brave fighting The Circle.

Ahahah it was nice to meet The Great Catsby. xD

I just love Tessa. I don't even know what to say about her I just love her. I loved how she spoke to Jocelyn, so brave, so fair and so right. I love her. And oh god, when she mentions that she knows a Silent Brother that could do Clary's Protection Ceremony I just started crying. :'(

My boys.. I think that I will never recover from these books. Will and Jem... They just broke me forever.
Profile Image for Lazaros.
271 reviews526 followers
March 19, 2015
This is one of the best short-stories in the series. Not only do we see how the shadow world was affected by Valentine's crusade but we also see how Jocelyn came to be found in front of Magnus' door, years later and what transpired there. Totally loved it.
Profile Image for Pam.
1,093 reviews1,009 followers
May 20, 2015
4 sad sad stars

Narrated by Cecil Baldwin, Jamie Bamber, George Blagden, Gareth David-Lloyd, Jordan Gavaris, Stephen Lunsford, David Oyelowo, Andrew Scott, Michael Trevino, Jesse Williams

Nine of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

The Last Stand of the New York Institute was such as sad and powerful read, we have all heard the tales of the past of what the circle did and what they were capable of...but this to be there in the moment, made me sad and just angry. This was a gloomy read, and I'm still on the fence if I could ever bring my self to read their story should it ever be released. It might change the way I feel about certain people, but then again for the sake of Jocelyn I may finally warm up to her because she was never my favorite person. A great short read!
Profile Image for Fenia.
253 reviews456 followers
September 13, 2015
Tessa watching Pride and Prejudice with Magnus. Tessa telling her life-story. Tessa meeting Clary. Tessa. I'm not okay. FEELS. ♥
Profile Image for Wren (fablesandwren).
669 reviews1,498 followers
September 17, 2020
THIS is what I needed.

Valentine.

I needed to see the followers as they were before they were caught. I needed to see how Jocelyn came to the conclusion of taking away the things from Clary she did and how Magnus agreed to her terms.

THIS was worth all the other books that I read in this series that I just kind of shrugged about. I’m not really a novella-book type of person. I like my big, thick, deep books. But I needed to read this and see Valentine in the works.

Order to Read this Series:
The Infernal Devices #02: Clockwork Prince
The Mortal Instruments #05: City of Lost Souls
The Infernal Devices #03: Clockwork Princess
The Mortal Instruments #06: City of Fallen Angels

*The next two (The Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy) are optional. They are groups of novellas. I believe in reading novellas so you can pick up different things in the books that follow.

The Bane Chronicles #01: What Really Happened in Peru
The Bane Chronicles #02: The Runaway Queen
The Bane Chronicles #03: Vampires, Scones, & Edmund Herondale
The Bane Chronicles #04: The Midnight Heir
The Bane Chronicles #05: The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
The Bane Chronicles #06: Saving Raphael Santiago
The Bane Chronicles #07: The Fall of Hotel Dumort
The Bane Chronicles #08: What to Buy the Shadowhunter…
The Bane Chronicles #09: The Last Stand of the New York Institute

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #10: Angels Twice Descending

The Dark Artifices #01: Lady Midnight
The Dark Artifices #02: Lord of Shadows
The Dark Artifices #03: Queen of Air and Darkness
Profile Image for Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z..
189 reviews1,420 followers
July 2, 2015
Buy this book HERE on Amazon

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). ONE WORD. EPIC.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a book.)
3 - I enjoyed the book, but there we're flaws that made me enjoy it less.
2 - I finished the book, but there were too many flaws for me to enjoy it.
1 - I could not finish the book, and I probably did not finish it....
Profile Image for Beenish.
306 reviews331 followers
October 9, 2020
Love love love this especially coz it was so good and we had Tessa! ❤️
Profile Image for Althea ☾.
623 reviews1,926 followers
Read
November 23, 2021
Okay this one actually did make me cry... one of the best backstories I didn't know I needed.

COFFEE SHOP JAZZ AMBIENCE ROOM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0_ej...

1. What Really Happened in Peru - ★★★☆☆
10. The Course of True Love [and First Dates] - ★★★★★
11. The Voicemail of Magnus Bane - ★★★☆☆

BLOG | SUPPORT ME ON KO-FI | BOOKSIRENS
October 30, 2016
Voy a decir pocas cosas:

1. ODIO profundamente al Círculo. Valentine, puedes irte a tomar por c... [Y digo esto habiendo leído la saga completa de The Mortal Instruments, claramente, pero igual, ugh].
2. Magnus es uno de los mejores personajes de la literatura juvenil. #HeDicho
3. DIOSES DEL OLIMPO, TESSA ESTÁ EN ESTE RELATO Y ES ESPECTACULAR. Me encanta la fuerza y determinación con la que le habla a Jocelyn. You go, girl! Y cuando menciona a Will y a Jem... AY, MI CORAZÓN.

"Mundanes died so easily. No matter how many times he saw it, it never got easier. He had lived for centuries now, and he was still waiting for death to get easier".
December 21, 2016
“You could share your bed with a monster, lay your head on the same pillow next to a head filled with murder and madness. Magnus had done it himself.
But love that blind did not last. One day you lifted your head from the pillow and saw you were living in a nightmare.”
Profile Image for clem.
520 reviews370 followers
December 13, 2018
⭐️⭐️⭐️

I don’t have any strong feelings for this one. Meh.
Profile Image for Sinead.
588 reviews80 followers
September 25, 2016
We have Tessa, a baby Clary, and a young Circle in the midst of their hatred against the Downworlders. I really liked seeing the Circle in action rather than in flashbacks, and seeing how Clary got her last name and Magnus decided to take her memories away.
Profile Image for dia.
304 reviews152 followers
July 15, 2022
at first it wasn’t very good, but the end improved it
Profile Image for Angigames.
1,229 reviews
September 2, 2015
Stavolta il racconto mi è proprio piaciuto!
Mi ha fatto un enorme piacere scoprire qualcosa di più su Valentine, vedere l’umanità di Lucian, la disperazione e l’ostinazione di Stephen Herondale e la freddezza quasi malata dei Lightwood.
Questo tassello della storia è stato interessante e narrato alla perfezione. Belle le scene Jocelyn-Mangus, bello vedere quanta umanità ci sia in realtà nel cuore dello stregone, anche la presenza di Tessa non è stata poi tanto male (ovviamente però, questo personaggio continuerà a starmi sul groppone per l’eternità, proprio non riesco ad apprezzarlo).
Devo ammettere però, che la nascita del cognome Fray mi è sembrata molto costruita. Ecco.
Profile Image for Fiona ✨.
235 reviews103 followers
December 24, 2018
4,5 stars

It's actually really great to see all those connections unfold.
Also, Catarina Loss is a queen and needs to be appreciated more.

-----------------------------------

FAVOURITE QUOTES:

'Jocelyn stroked her little girl’s face, and they all watched as the baby smiled, lit up with the sheer joy of living. She was a story in herself, sweet and full of hope, just beginning.
“Jocelyn and Clary Fray,” said Magnus. “It’s nice to meet you.”'

'Magnus had often considered that Shadowhunter justice was more like cruelty, and he did not want to be cruel. He looked at the woman’s weary desperate face and the bundle in her arms, and he could not be cruel. He believed in redemption, the inchoate grace in every person he met. It was one of the few things he had to believe in, the possibility of beauty when faced with the reality of so much ugliness.'

The life of warlocks was one of immortality, magic, glamour, and excitement through the ages.
Sometimes, though, Magnus wanted to stay in and watch television on the sofa like everyone else. He was curled up on the sofa with Tessa, and they were watching a video of Pride and Prejudice. Tessa was complaining at some length about how the book was better.
“This is not what Jane Austen would have wanted,” Tessa told him. “If she could see this, I am certain she would be horrified.”
[...]
“If Jane Austen could see this,” Magnus said, “I assume she would be screaming, ‘There are tiny demons in this little box! Fetch a clergyman!’ and hitting the television with her parasol.”

'Magnus would rather not look back on the darkness but look forward and hope for light.'

'She was more of a hero than any Shadowhunter that Magnus had ever met. The Shadowhunters had been chosen by an angel. Catarina herself had chosen to fight. “It’s looking like a quiet night,” he said. “Come on. Finish up and let me take you home.”
“Is this chivalry?” Catarina said with a smile. “Thought that was dead.”
“Like us, it never dies.”'

"It’s a truth universally acknowledged that if you watch too much television on an empty stomach, your head falls off.”
“If your head fell off,” Tessa said, “the hairdressing industry would go into an economic meltdown.”

'He had lived for centuries now, and he was still waiting for death to get easier.'
Profile Image for Hana Gashi.
140 reviews9 followers
January 2, 2016
why do I always cry at the very mention of Will or Jem ugh I LOVED THIS ONEEEEEEE
Profile Image for Andre.
1,314 reviews83 followers
August 9, 2015
Really? Based on the Chronicles and Magnus in general so far I thought the life of a warlock consisted out of constant annoyance, sitting on your ass, whining, facades, lying, idiocy, fashion, betrayal, thievery and being governed by your libido and all other whims until you go cuckoo for coco puffs.

Normally I would have prepared spoiler sections, but not here, the only way this can be shown appropriately is in one strike.

I think ever since "What really happened in Peru" there has not been such a blatant example of the franchise's way of saying one thing but doing the other. The summary of this book as of 19Jan2014 (it had changed before) is:

False advertisement
The only truth in that summary is that Magnus meets Valentine in battle and that later Jocelyn seeks him out. The rest is total crap and the title doesn't even fit. The Uprising was only one battle on one day, not a time, and in the time of the Uprising is downright lying, you can't even say "stretch the concept" since the first story happens in 1989 and the second in 1993, not even near the Uprising which, clearly stated in the Shadowhunter Codex to have been in 1992. Which also leads us to the problem of Clary's age in the second story: How can she be almost two if she was born after the Uprising (which was only mentioned in passing here)? Only if the Uprising was in January 1992, Clary was born shortly afterwards and the second story happens in December 1993 (there is mention about the weather being cold but that was it) could this be remotely possible. Also Jocelyn is only in the second story (the summary suggests that she is in both) and the Shadowhunters of the New York Institute never make any actual decision, they burst in and since the Circle had clearly broken their serious Law, it was clear that they would be on Magnus's side. Btw. Magnus allegedly always expected some sort of Hunter youth revolt – he once again "knows so much". The whole "fight" and "drama" was a charade typical for this franchise and despite being the local authority figure, the leader of the New York Institute does not even try to order the Circle to lower their weapons. She and her family (experienced fighters) are just there to be slaughtered "heroically" by the Circle (teenagers so gullible they might as well be robots).

Story in 1989
Nothing here makes remotely any sense and from a narrative point of view there is no reason for it to exist in the first place. It answers no open questions, adds nothing and only makes everything worse. That the Lightwoods become the heads of the Institute of the people they murdered makes no sense. The Codex makes it clear that murdering Nephilim is the greatest crime they have and these guys not only did it at the Uprising but also 3 years earlier and they still get to live? None of the Circle members here think to abandon Valentine after this? Why? You can't even say, that the Clave didn't know about this since it is established fact that they have mindreaders and a magical sword that can force you to say the truth.
This whole story about Valentine going after some werewolf family and torturing a werewolf girl (instead of the mother) to get the whereabouts of her escaped brother, is among the same line as the attempted rape of Clary by Jonathan in City of Lost Souls (to make Valentine look more "evil"), it actually has the same impact of the in-book-universe as a whole: NONE! We already knew he killed Nephilim, killed and experimented on Downworlders and what he thought about them. We know how influential the circle was so what is the point of this story mentioning that they are going from Institute to Institute to seek aid (how does Magnus even know this and other stuff?). And considered that Magnus seems to side with those that break the Accords (the Accords they willingly sign and agree on, they regularly break in those stories) on a regular basis, probably more often than not Valentine would have acted in accordance with the Accords. Plus the guy had unleashed hordes of demons on Alicante killing who knows how many. So why on earth is this here necessary? To show the other Hunters did bad stuff as well and that they are all connected via and met Magnus? Why would Luke not tell Clary about this? This is completely out of character for him. And the rest are useless. So what does this add in any way? That Luke being Valentine's parabatai means he was basically his underling? So what? Where is the difference to Jace and Alec or Will and Jem? The one being described as more handsome is in charge and the other supports, same old story.
We have also time and again seen Magnus insult and infuriate people when it's better to keep your mouth shut and generally antagonizing people for no good reason and then of course trying to sound sympathetic and victimized by coming with some sort of bullshit excuse that wouldn't work for a 14 year old. But of course no one would ever change him. Magic is still just for showing off and a poorly used plot device and what they show here suggested that Magnus does not know the range of his power or even abilities (just like Catarina). And that he basically accepts stuff to go his way and does shit to actively change stuff but always claims to be wanting to help people was well established in earlier books as well (here: no providing of the plenty of evidence and testimony against the Circle, not establishing any security measures or emergency system in case the Circle attacks, no attempts to clear the names of the accused werewolves, nothing at all; he rather considered it the sensible thing to flee prior to arrival of the Circle and seems to prefer to whine that Downworlders were allegedly always on their own). Trust me, even when he is supposed to be the hero he basically acts like a moron: he doesn't even consider an ambush attack or some sort of trick to defeat the Circle instead hoping he could sow doubt among them. The Circle comes around as pretty incompetent anyway (no alleged killers and bullies would ever react to Magnus's rude tone and sloppy tactic this way).
Of course we get the usual Magnus shallowness: he immediately notices how the Circle were heartbreakingly young, instead of trying to save the captured werewolves. He also described Stephen Herondale (of course he must have met him as well) as a beautiful boy with the golden hair and the deep sweet blue eyes, once again showing that blonds are the most beautiful people in the world. The book actually spends sentence after sentence on describing these Shadowhunters, of course noticing the handsome ones (btw. if the Lightwoods have fierce hawk-like faces why don't their kids?), but doesn't waste a single syllable on weapons or fighting potential. Nope, all useless talk with some "future twist" (since Magnus refers to the mentioned Alec as a repellent brat) and so much idiocy (too much to even list here) it is inconceivable to me how any reader can be so gullible to refer to this as "awesome." And considered how quickly Magnus turns psycho and wanted Stephen gone from this earth it is pretty clear that Magnus behaves like a villain and not like a hero from one second to the next.
And speaking of villains: Magnus found Valentine’s blade in his heart and can still fight and cast spells. In City of Lost Souls he was protected by armor and nonetheless a simple wide stab wound under the right side of Magnus’s ribs (with no lung injuries) by a dagger can bring him down but in this book a stabbed heart does not hinder him (not to mention that no text seems to suggest that Valentine removed his dagger from Magnus's body)? This must be the biggest consistency fail ever since the author forgot that her vampires can turn into bats, rats and dust.
See what I mean when I say, this is useless and only makes everything worse?
If these authors had wanted to retell a story we already knew than they should have made it about the actual Uprising, where it would have worked just fine. This was rather bad fan fiction than anything else.

Story in 1993
Gosh, this story alone has so many plotholes it nearly gave me a headache.
You know, I had lost all respect for Magnus already and here I hated him; and I have never done this before with any other fictional character.
This story was not quite as pointless as the first one, but still pretty pointless (after all we saw Magnus being a dick and sitting on his ass far too often already). The only actually new and "necessary" info we get are the introduction of Tessa's Blackthorn descendents (whom she allegedly cares so much about, makes you wonder where she was in TMI) to lead into Cassandra Clare's "new" series and how Jocelyn got the name Fray (Fairchild +Gray = Fray). The rest only shows what a dick Magnus is, makes no sense (since when did Jocelyn kill "innocent" Downworlders and since when does Magnus care [about anything, so I didn't give a crap when Magnus stated here that he didn't care anymore about this or that]) since it didn't bother him with the other Hunters he was friends with), shows this franchises patriarchal nature, and basically its nothing but an extended rewrite of the story how Magnus met Jocelyn that we already got in City of Bones. Apart from several things, that the characters had to figure out/discover, being totally obvious it answered no questions or anything. And everyone halfway smart would have guessed several elements already (like Tessa and Jem being the two who prepared baby Clary). Naturally this story's attempts at feminism are just as ridiculous as the previous ones. And no idea why Jocelyn means trouble for Magnus simply for not being on official Hunter duty, since all other shown Hunters so far seemed trouble, even the ones he fancied. Also maybe I would give a damn about Magnus stating Valentine to be evil and Jocelyne to be "the monster's bride" had Magnus ever shown to be a capable judge of character and considered his alleged past of bad relationships shouldn't he be a bit more sympathetic to Jocelyne's plight? But nope, other things are far more important to Magnus, and partially Jocelyn as it seems since she seemed transfixed by his pajamas. Magnus was frankly offended. He had not invited any wives of crazed hate-cult leaders to come around and pass judgment on his wardrobe. Are there any heights of shallowness and arrogance that this idiot does not reach? The wife of a "crazed hate-cult leader" stands before him and he worries about his wardrobe. And not just that, oh no, he even tries to portray himself as some sort of perfect lover: If he wished to forgo a shirt and wear scarlet drawstring pajamas patterned with black polar bears, and a black silk bed jacket, he could do so. (Seriously, is this supposed to be funny?) None of the others who had been lucky enough to see Magnus in his bedroom attire had ever complained.
And as if this shallowness and idiocy so far wasn't enough, it is also clear that Magnus's priorities are clearly revenge and nothing else, since we are told that It was in that moment that he remembered there was a child. Never mind that he had seen Clary and if Clary actually is nearly 2 years old… how can I say it? There is no way you could just overlook a 2 year old in someone's arms. Two year olds are actually pretty big and very visible when carrying them. If Magnus just forgets Clary is there although she must be directly in front of him it only shows how hateful he is against a woman he never met and knows nothing about. And considered his demonizing of Camille, if there is any truth to that by the way, he should be sympathetic to people making the wrong relationship choices, but nope, not Magnus he is far too occupied with being a judgmental asshole. Jocelyn literally said that she begged for his aid, with a child in her arms, which sends a pretty clear message as to whom she begs for, but Magnus (being aware of Clary) says "no" right away, no hesitation and had Tessa (who suddenly has an air of authority she allegedly always had) not been there nothing would have changed. My mouth actually dropped at this behavior of his and I have no idea how Magnus fans can truly justify this. Sure they might come with the claims of this book that Jocelyn had killed Downworlders but not only do I wonder when that was ever stated before and also since when does Magnus actually care? His actions in the first story do not actually speak this language and it's not as though these other Shadowhunters, those he had the hots for (all guys of course), had killed Downworlders as well and he didn't act that way. No, he is such a whiny ass that he projects his hatred for Valentine on his ex-wife and child. Actually he acts as though he never had any Shadowhunter friends, throwing them all in one pot and not even considering another point of view. He is just as hateful as he always claims Shadowhunters to be. And Tessa joins into this screwed anti-hate message and it makes just as much sense. And for some reason this made: Jocelyn looked lost, in the way that people did when they learned something so strange that the whole world seemed unfamiliar. The Accords had been signed several times by now and she came to Magnus and all, so why is that so strange to her? All this stuff here makes no sense whatsoever. Not even why she goes to Magnus of all warlocks or why she is in New York anyway. If she wants her daughter to be as far away from Nephilim as possible, why being in New York, where there is an institute, are we to assume she doesn't know that? And when Magnus was all "So you come begging to us... The monsters", I was all "Stop whining you hypocritical, judgmental and racist/speciest asshole!" Jocelyn even said she had no quarrel with Downworlders, so what crimes did she talk about before? Is she referring to Jonathan? And where did those rumors about her cooperation with Luke come from? Did Luke tell anyone? Or was it some minor detail from these convoluted books?
And of course afterwards Magnus suddenly talked about not wanting to be cruel and believing in redemption although he prior to this and based on the books happening chronologically after this he surely doesn't act like it.
He literally stated:
Magnus had often considered that Shadowhunter justice was more like cruelty, and he did not want to be cruel. I was: "Well congratulations asshole, because that is what you are. You are one of the biggest assholes that I have ever seen. Even Dolores Umbridge is better than you, she is at least honest in her contempt. And for the most part Shadowhunter justice is only cruel to lying and thieving assholes like you!!!" Seriously, I often fail to see the cruelty in their rules.
So I am not even remotely buying his he could not be cruel crap. Since when he said that, it was the same situation only minutes ago (btw. Tessa was remarkably silent) and there he was about to throw the door in their faces so what was different now? And he can cut the "believe in redemption crap," it is clear from the way he treated and treats Alec and Camille in other books that he didn't act accordingly. And Tessa's hypocritical whine-rants are just as bad as Magnus's are and damn her whining about how with Stephen's death her and Will's line had ended despite the fact that their Blackthorn descendents are still alive and well (whom she mentioned only moments before) was annoying. I guess since that line is connected to her via her daughter apparently it doesn't really count. So Tessa is thinking patriarchal at her core. And if this wasn't enough after her little pity tantrum Tessa claims that nothing is Clary's fault and that the choice was all Stephen's, which begs the question why she was so adamant about Jocelyne only moments ago. Seriously, what changed? No one did or say anything to bring about this change. Magnus even suddenly says that Jocelyn had no right to his help (and could not pay for it) despite only moments ago saying he couldn't be cruel (trust me there is more of his cruelty, recklessness and "Valentine's evil" after it), not to mention he could just have asked for a contract and payment later. This is hypocrisy in its finest and it doesn't even have any source dammit. Heck, we get told that Jocelyne calls her daughter Clary but we still do not get told why. And if you ask me Magnus' and Tessa's "change of heart" has nothing to do with consistency but all with Clary's "specialness", she is so special she apparently had already lost the roundness of baby faces. Wtf?! Have these authors ever so much as seen a 2 year old? What is Clary suddenly, Renesmee Cullen? She even makes Magnus feel the knot of resentment in his chest ease, she is that special, and the book doesn't spare to tell us. Not to mention that much other stuff here makes no sense with her. And the statement about how she might grow up to be an adventurer might have merit in other franchises but not in this one that apparently doesn't know the difference between an adventurer and a reckless idiot.
And the worst part of this story might be this:
Perhaps none of the children of the new generation—not this small stubborn redheaded scrap, or half-faerie Helen and Mark Blackthorn at the Los Angeles Institute, or even Maryse Lightwood’s children growing up in New York far from the Glass City—would ever have to learn the full truth about the ugliness of the past.
Apart from the fact that this is obvious advertisement for Clare's "new" series, again, I have no words for how dangerous this is. Just don't talk about the ugly truth of the past and everything is alright? That is what this whine little asshole thinks is right?
Magnus fans: what do you like about him?

I am not gonna go into the topic of the screwed anti-AIDS hysteria message, after all the franchise's screwed pro-LGBT, racial and gender equality and anti-drug messages are already bad enough. And the fact that Magnus did, once again, do shit to help anyone suffering from HIV infection is also typical for this asshole. But of course I am supposed to think that he cares and that you never get used to seeing death. If it just were so in real life, but hey what can you expect from a book that thinks completely forgetting the horrible past is something good.

Conclusion
This book is nothing more than a complete waste of time, space and money, except for the writers since apparently enough people still buy this crap. It has no redeemable qualities, nothing to balance its flaws out and how anybody can like this book will forever be a mystery to me.
At least Johnson's influence kept the weird wording at a minimum, well by the standards of this franchise at least, after all it is pretty obvious plenty of times that the authors don't seem to know what they are talking about and are practically torpedoing their own world with what they are writing.
I think only someone going by "all Magnus does is great no matter how dumb" would enjoy this stuff.

PS. The guy on the covers is apparently Godfrey Gao. Really good choice to have a guy with barely (if any) Malay ancestry but probably exclusive recent Chinese ancestry represent a guy that allegedly represents a first generation Dutch-Indonesian mix.
Profile Image for Margarida.
329 reviews68 followers
December 25, 2013
AWWWWWWWW! TESSAAA! When Jacelyn showed up with little Clary at Magnus house and Tessa was there and now we know the meaning of Clary's surname . Tessa was so adorable with Clary *-*

Now Magnus! I loved when he fought Valentine(SON OF A BITCH)so courageous! Oh and when Magnus was face to face with the Circle he called Maryse's son "doubtless repellent brat"...Magnus Magnus in a few years you won't be thinking that..

Magnus's cat The Great Catsby eheh
Profile Image for Leah Blacklock.
139 reviews10 followers
August 28, 2017
Damn, i didn't really click how hardcore the circle was back in their day, they were brutal!
Profile Image for phoebe ☾.
124 reviews326 followers
December 28, 2021
[update december 28, 2021]

i’ll pretend that the first half of this chapter doesn’t exist because i just hate valentine so much 🥰 bye-

but the ending tho, IT WAS THE SWEETEST THING I’VE EVER READ. i love tessa gray with every single piece of my heart.

please tessa adopt me. i’ll keep manifesting it until it happens, idc 🧘‍♀️✨🕯🧘‍♀️🕯✨

[november 9, 2020:]

when Jocelyn went to magnus and tessa tho, with baby clary, i loved it, it was so so cute
Profile Image for Jeannette.
650 reviews139 followers
December 8, 2015
My favourite out of the entire series. To be fair I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's 89% connected to The Mortal Instruments. Which on its own shows that I'm much more invested into that story than I was with The Bane Chronicles on their own.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 792 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.