Jump to ratings and reviews
TRAGIC is over and Rook is ready for the future—Spencer Shrike and the STURGIS contract!

It’s three months of body art modeling! That means three months of Spencer Shrike’s paintbrush all over her body, three months in front of Antoine’s camera, and three months of twenty-four hour filming for Spencer’s Biker Channel reality show.

Wait a minute…what reality show? Maybe she should’ve read that STURGIS contract a little closer? ;)

Sure, Rook’s bank account is almost overflowing, but Ronin is angry, Clare is trying to escape rehab, Antoine is a worried mess, and Elise is just trying to hold everyone together. Her new family is about to fall apart before she even gets the chance to enjoy them.

Add in a mysterious man from her past, a road trip to the famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and a final show in front of the entire world where all her goods are on display, and you’ve got Manic—a new adult contemporary romance that will definitely make your summer sizzle!

300 pages, Paperback

First published July 23, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.A. Huss

143 books8,633 followers
J.A. Huss never wanted to be a writer and she still dreams of that elusive career as an astronaut. She originally went to school to become an equine veterinarian but soon figured out they keep horrible hours and decided to go to grad school instead. That Ph.D wasn’t all it was cracked up to be (and she really sucked at the whole scientist thing), so she dropped out and got a M.S. in forensic toxicology just to get the whole thing over with as soon as possible.

After graduation she got a job with the state of Colorado as their one and only hog farm inspector and spent her days wandering the Eastern Plains shooting the shit with farmers. After a few years of that, she got bored. And since she was a homeschool mom and actually does love science, she decided to write science textbooks and make online classes for other homeschool moms. She wrote more than two hundred of those workbooks and was the number one publisher at the online homeschool store many times, but eventually she covered every science topic she could think of and ran out of shit to say.

So in 2012 she decided to write fiction instead. That year she released her first three books and started a career that would make her a New York Times bestseller and land her on the USA Today Bestseller’s List eighteen times in the next three years. Her books have sold millions of copies all over the world, the audio version of her semi-autobiographical book, Eighteen, was nominated for a Voice Arts Award and an Audie award in 2016 and 2017 respectively, her audiobook Mr. Perfect was nominated for a Voice Arts Award in 2017, and her book, Taking Turns, was nominated for an Audie Award in 2018. Johnathan McClain is her first (and only) writing partner and even though they are worlds apart in just about every way imaginable, it works.

She lives on a ranch in Central Colorado with her family.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
123 (1%)
1 star
50 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 717 reviews
Profile Image for "That's All" Ash.
158 reviews1,927 followers
July 27, 2013
You know, I’ve been searching for an author like J.A. Huss for awhile.

Because she’s such a wild card of a writer.

And you don’t see that often.

I say she’s a wild card because when you read her stories…

You can’t predict them.

♦She takes a story and decorates it with edge and whimsy.
She takes the damsel in distress and gives her a fuck you attitude.♦
♦She takes the prince and gives him a villain complex.

And that’s just the beginning.

photo untitled.png

One contract.
One mistake.

Rook signed a contract.

And now she has a camera crew following her.
Now she has Ronin angry with her.
Now she has Ford, an enigma of a man who wants her for less than innocent reasons.
Now she has Spencer painting her naked body for every photo shoot.
Now she has the one thing in her life that she ran away from…chasing her.

And now when she needs someone to trust.
She can’t.

Because in a model’s world…

Everyone’s posing.
And no one is who they say they are.

Profile Image for Christy.
3,818 reviews32.4k followers
April 20, 2015
4-4.5 Stars!!!!
 photo 50447468-1418-433d-abfb-890d5c232c39_zps921dbcdc.jpg

Rook’s life has drastically changed in the last month or so. She is no longer struggling. After finishing her TRAGIC campaign, she has more money than she knows what to do with. She has money to start school, a boyfriend she is falling for. What more could she want?
I am so totally in love with Ronin Flynn right now, it’s scary.

With her upcoming Sturgis contract, Rook knows everything is about to change. Not only with Rook be on a three month shoot with Spencer painting her naked body to match his bikes, but she will be under 24 hour filming... something he neglected to tell her when she rushed and signed the contract. With Spencer comes Ford. Ford is an old friend(if thats what you want to call it) of Ronin’s and is helping produce the show.

photo d26313cc-567c-411f-bddf-dbf7a48363c8_zps3cb41cec.jpg

Rook feels conflicted. She is spending all kinds of time with Spencer, naked. Ford is cryptic, spending a lot of time with her, putting idea’s in her head about Ronin...
‘He likes the lost ones, Rook. He likes to swoop in and save them.’

Then there is Ronin. Ronin is back and forth between being there for Rook, and going off to rehab to help with Claire. Rook wants to understand, but it feels like Ronin is abandoning her when she needs him. Not to mention they aren’t on the same page with their relationship...
“You scare me, Rook.”

“Why?” I ask, puzzled.
“Because your future is making itself right now, this very moment. And you have no idea it’s happening. I want you so completely it hurts. But you and I are in two totally different places.”

Rook has to find the strength within herself to pull it all together, get this campaign over with and figure out what she wants to do with her life.

Readers who loved Tragic may love Manic even more- I know I did! We get introduced to a new character. A new character who is my favorite charcter of this series.... FORD
“I’m not trying to fix you, I’m just trying to give you the tools to fix yourself.”

I just loved Ford. Move over Spencer and Ronin... I am all for Ford. I loved the advice, early morning exercise, and once he started reading to her, I was a goner.

Rook is very lucky she has these three men in her life. When someone from her past comes back into the picture- the guys, the campaign, the modeling- these things are the very least of her worries. Ronin knows what they have to do. Even though Spencer and Ford aren’t his favorite people at the moment, he is glad the three of them are in this together.
Spencer is a certifiable genius, Ford is as ruthless as they come, and I’m an accomplished liar.

What a team! I hope in the next book we get more glimpses into the pasts of the three of these guys.

Will Rook be able to finish the campaign, make her relationship with Ronin work, and get away from her past once and for all? Or will it all come crumbling down around her?

photo 1b6e2e20-d617-48fa-854b-fa5f714f822a_zpsa1684634.jpg

I love these books because they are different. They are original. And they aren’t predictable. So many good books out there.. but you can guess pretty much everything thats going to happen. Not this one. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. And those photo shoots... Hot damn. Some sexy scenes! Rook is an amazing and strong heroine. All three of those guys I loved in different ways. A fantastic follow up to Tragic- I enjoyed it even more than the first book! I really hope we get more FORD in the next book, and maybe even some Wade? I loved how this one ended... It left me wanting so much more! I can’t wait for October to read Panic!
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,379 reviews4,627 followers
July 25, 2013

4 ½ Body Painted Stars

description

J.A. Huss' first book of this series Tragic was no fluke my goodread friends!! This sequel is so well done, the story line is mysterious, action-packed and oh so sexy.

The story picks up right where we last left Rook and Ronin in Tragic. Rook and Ronin are enjoying boyfriend/girlfriend status and are now learning all the details of the Sturgis contract which Rook signed at the end of the first book. The contract is not only for three months of body art modeling, but Rook will also be filmed for a reality show as well being paraded around at the famous Sturgis bike rally (This is a real thing –I looked it up).

Ronin is not happy about this contract. It seems that he has a connection to not only the body paint artist Spencer Shrike but the producer Ford as well.

Spencer is the body paint artist and yes ladies I can tell you Rook gets to be hand painted as well as photographed with this sexy man. Spencer is the hot tattoed owner of motorcycle company whose bikes will be featured with Rook in the campaign.

Now onto to Rutherford (Ford) the producer… Ford has to be one of THE MOST interesting characters I have read in a book to date!! I absolutely LOVED him--- SSSH don’t tell Ronin.

”I'm not trying to fix you, I'm just giving you the tools to fix yourself.”

"I won't touch you, Rook, don't worry," he whispers. I'm not a runner and I'm not a cheater, either. Life is long, you are young, and I'm very, very patient."

Ronin is constantly being pulled to Claire’s bedside at her drug treatment center while struggling to manage and maintain his relationship with Rook. He also seems to have a connection other than being old school chums with both Spencer and Ford.

"Your first impression of Spencer should be dumb…Your first impression of Ford should be well-dressed asshole, but maybe a little on the weak side….Your first impression of me should be honest, trustworthy guy…Your first impressions would be dead-ass wrong in all three cases." ~Ronin

Ronin wants out of the erotic photography business. He is frustrated but supportive of Rook’s obligation to complete this contract while running to Claire’s bedside and handling Spencer and Ford’s attention towards Rook.

When Rook’s past comes into play the three former friends work together to protect her. Rook grows during this story and it’s truly through her relationships with Spencer, Ford and Ronin that she is stronger not only physically but mentally. I really loved what each relationship gave Rook through this story.

“I’ve never dated a girl like you, Rook. You are everything I want. I love all your parts. I love the wary parts, the defiant parts, the independent parts, and your innocence and vulnerability. I want you next to me and when you’re not there I feel like a part of me is missing.”

By the end of the story, the contract is fulfilled, a surprise character comes on the scene as well as TWO job opportunities are offered to Rook. What will she choose? So many damn possibilities for the next book!

Bring on third book in this series, Panic J.A. Huss.

I'm asking for much much more FORD in the future!!

description
Profile Image for Amy | Foxy Blogs.
1,414 reviews971 followers
October 2, 2013
The story picks up right where Tragic left off.

Rook impulsively signed a modeling contract to allow Spencer to paint her nude body to match and/or compliment his motorcycles. In her haste to show her independence by taking this deal she fails to realize that the deal includes a reality TV show. Now, her privacy is no longer hers.

Ronin her over protective boyfriend struggles to control his emotions as he watches Rook battle to gain control of her life.

Ford is the TV producer and rubs Rook wrong from the very beginning. Rook is leery of him because like Spencer, Ford has a shady pass with Ronin. This past is something these three shield from Rook.

When the past rears its ugly head and threatens to destroy all that Rook has worked to escape these three men scheme to break Rook loose from her past. They keep Rook in the dark about their plan. Each has a role to play. Spencer the dumb one but really is a genius. Ford the snooty rich guy with soft hands but really is ruthless. Ronin the pretty-face who is eager to please but really is accomplished liar.

Ford stole the book for me. When I first met him I wasn't on board. But with each step he took to insure Rook's wellness he made me swoon a little more. Until he was reading books to her and then he won my heart.

"I'll read to you."

SERIES:
Tragic (Rook and Ronin, #1) by J.A. Huss Manic (Rook and Ronin, #2) by J.A. Huss Panic (Rook and Ronin, #3) by J.A. Huss
No cliffhangers. Continuing story.
Profile Image for Farah.
361 reviews502 followers
August 3, 2013

If you enjoyed reading Tragic than you will Love Manic.

This is a continuation of Rook and Ronin's story picking up at the end of Tragic where Rook has signed up to be the model for Spencer and his bikes on the Surgis contract.

This book starts off with Rook making impulsive decisions firstly starting off with taking the contract without speaking to Ronin only to find out she will be followed by a camera crew for a reality show as well let not forget the naked body painting!

Now as Rook is trying to 'grow up' and accepting and doing her new contract with Spencer and Ford. She is naked and atleast Rook isn't being funny about it.

This book is Rook's journey...

I admit the fact that Ronin was helping Clare so much bummed me out because he featured much less in the book than in Tragic and I missed him and his sexinessssss!!!

There was wayyy too much info on all the body paintings and it wouldve been left out and this book wouldve still been awesome!
But I'm not going to complain because... Ford, Spencer and Ronin kept me well entertained!

There were really awesome moments in this book, surprising truths and facing fears.

Hope and new beginnings and will keep us waiting for the next installment in this wonderful series.

Profile Image for Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~.
797 reviews747 followers
August 1, 2013
4.5 Stars!

This was a great follow-up to Tragic. Rook has started her contract to pose painted with Spencer's Shrike Bikes and eventually show in Sturgis.

photo sexy-spiderman-body-paint-nsfw_zps949ddde7.jpg
 photo bike_main_1607294a_zps73bba705.jpg

So Rook didn't realize part of the contract involved being filmed for a television pilot which causes many uncomfortable moments for her and puts her in daily contact with Ford. Ford and Ronin know each other and do not get along because . Ronin is off helping Clare with her addiction so what does that mean? RELATIONSHIP DRAMA between Rook and Ronin!!!

what are you doing photo 0tGIzkA_zpsa17dca9d.gif

When it comes down to it in the end, Ford, Spencer, and Ronin all pull together to help out Rook and we get our HEA!

"Your first impression of Spencer should be dumb. Your first impression of Ford should be well-dressed asshole, but maybe a little on the weak side. Your first impression of me should be honest, trustworthy guy. Your first impressions would be dead-ass wrong in all three cases."

I just LOOOOOOOOOOVE Ronin!

photo Heshot_zps8d777ec1.gif

"I want you next to me and when you're not there I feel like part of me is missing. I'm so in love with you, Rook. So fucking in love iwth you, it scares me."

This book was nice because I was expecting it to go one way and it went in a totally different direction. And then I get that big ole curveball at the end!
wtf photo tumblr_lo090zWmYX1qludboo1_500_zpsdb5e3b02.gif

I want Panic NOW but I have to wait until October!
 photo Glee-Brittany-Pout_zpse92b73ea.gif
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,082 reviews862 followers
July 24, 2014

This was not just about reading a book, a story - this was experiencing it - being drawn into a whole new world. For me, not long ago J.A. Huss was just another author's name. But after Tragic that changed. She became the flash in the dark - an author that seemed to have created a story that came out of nowhere; became something so much more than what you expected. I think I fell a little bit in love after reading Tragic. I know that I fell completely after reading Manic. The writing style, the complicated story - that doesn't appear to be complicated at first - the characters, even those that are just standing off in the distance - all of it. Every last word grips you. This may be just another book in a popular genre; but there is no doubt that this series is in a league of it's own. Absolutely brilliant.

This is one of those stories that you find it hard to avoid giving something away in a review. So this is kept simple. I can say for certain that I am not sure if I trust a single character after finishing this story. I want to - but after reading this I am not sure I can. Everything I expected was turned inside out and manipulated. And even with the dread that fell over me during this read, this series has been one of my favorites of the year.

Rook was defiant. She signed the contract with one goal in mind.
To be the one in control.
But this contract strips her of her control - strips away everything.
But this mistake might just be what gives Rook a chance to fix everything that is wrong.

Rook is still running from her past. She has had a little taste of the money that can come from modeling and she has a taste just how much of a toll exposing herself - giving up control - showing vulnerability can take on her after the flash of the camera disappears. But this is just another job to get her closer to her dreams.

She will struggle with the relationship she has with Ronin, she will be forced to expose herself (in more than one way) to Spencer and she will meet Ford; a man that she can't quite figure out. These men have a connection through their past, a connection that Rook can't figure out and no one seems to be ready to explain this to her.

The Shrike contract exposes Rook more than just having to standing naked in front of a camera. Being photographed, painted in the most intimate of places, being filmed... it all leaves her exposed. And when you have run from a past that you don't want to find you; exposure is the last thing you want.

In Manic, nothing is as it appears. There are sides to each man that they keep hidden well.

I felt like halfway through this book, it became something completely different. There was a shift to this story and it suddenly turned from something about a girl that was going to have to live with the mistake of signing that contract into a girl that might have saved herself by signing that contract. Rook's life changed after the Tragic shoot, but after this contract her whole world is about to change.

She will have a world of choices before her - she will finally stop running away and start chasing what she wants.

Casting...
Profile Image for Brandi.
633 reviews1,278 followers
August 14, 2016
I'm not a runner anymore. I'm a chaser.

Manic picks up where Tragic left off. Rook is working on the Sturgis campaign - as Spencer's canvas. Her summer includes, lots of body paint, modeling with Spencer's custom bikes and being filmed by Ford's camera crew. Oh, and she is attempting to build a relationship with Ronin - things get a little complicated.

Ronin, Spencer and Ford seem to have history, but no one is sharing with Rook...

description

As the summer progresses, Rook continues to fulfill her contact while growing closer to these three guys. Will Rook and Ronin's relationship survive? Will she fight for what she wants? Or is there more danger waiting in the wings?

description

"I want you in my bed every night. I want you to be part of me forever. I want to make an us with you." - Ronin

This series is original, fun and steamy - with some great characters!! On to the next book :)
Profile Image for Jen.
1,654 reviews996 followers
August 20, 2014
This is book two in the "Rook and Ronin" series, and again I give a 4.5 stars. The half mark is because I did find that Ronin and Rook weren't together very much in the book and that tends to bother me in romance books. In this case though, it didn't ruin the book in anyway for me. I did still find it extremely enjoyable, and the reason for that is Ford and Spencer! These two characters are a great addition to the story, and Ford especially is a guy who I want to know more about. The mystery surrounding him is alluring, and I can't wait to learn more!

In this installment, Rook is working for Spencer and his campaign for Sturgis. Spencer has some major talent, and he spends most of the days painting Rook's naked body with his art. Ford is also involved in this contract and even though he frustrates the heck out of Rook, they develop an interesting friendship through running together in the mornings. Ronin, is gone to help Clare, who is battling her drug addiction..so for a big part of the book he is MIA..I will say though, that when Ronin and Rook are together...sparks fly, and these two have a love that just gets deeper and deeper.

Through all of this though, there are a whole bunch of secrets about the three guys past. These men, have known each other for quite sometime and there is way more than meets the eye with all of them and their connnection! There is stuff with Rook too, and I figure that when we find everything out..shit is gonna hit the fan in a big way!

Once again, I am in love with this series, and I can't wait to find out more about all of the characters. I find that I love them all and am intrigued about them too! THe mystery that surrounds everybody gives an element of suspence to this story.
JA Huss is definitely an author who I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a new author to try out. She writes brilliantly and I love her heroes! SHe knows how to write a very attractive alpha male!!!
Moving on!!!
Profile Image for Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~.
497 reviews183 followers
July 25, 2013
That was awesome, even better than the first book.

The book opens at the start of the STURGIS campaign. Rook finally starts to realize exactly what she signed up for, and it wasn't just to be the naked canvas for Spencer. Ronin is still unhappy about her decision, and Rook finally begins to realize why he was so against her taking the contract.

Along with Spencer, we meet Ford, another person from Ronin's past that he would rather not have Rook around. Unfortunately, Claire is in rehab, and Ronin is repeatedly required to go help her, leaving Rook in Spencer and Ford's hands.

This book kept me on my toes! In the last book, I felt like Ronin was holding back, and at times, I questioned his motives. Certainly this book brought that feeling back in spades, along with questions about what Spencer and Ford really wanted. It felt like there was always this subtext with each of them. Not that they were lying, but that there were motives beyond what they were revealing. There is a history (and not a pleasant one) between Ronin, Spencer, and Ford, and I was surprised when I learned what the connection was.

I still love Rook, she's young, but in so many ways, her past has made her far older than her years. Ronin continues to try and protect her from everything, including herself, which leads to conflicts. I struggled with Ronin's feelings. It is obvious that he wants a future with Rook, but both he and she know that she's not in the same place as he is now. In some ways, Ronin still feels like a mystery to me.

Ford! I was all over the place with my feelings about him. I hope he plays a large role in the next book. I really want to know more about him. He was a fascinating character.

Overall, a fantastic read, that kept me glued to book from beginning to end. I cannot wait for book three.
Profile Image for *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time.
1,921 reviews3,444 followers
July 26, 2013
"Because I'm not a runner anymore. I am a chaser."

Manic picks up right where Tragic left off. Rook is completing the Sturgis campaign under the hands of Spencer Shrike. Rook spends her days having her body painted, being photographed on bikes, and filmed by Ford. All the while, trying to navigate and explore her relationshp with Ronin.

Things between Ronin, Ford and Spencer....AWKWARD!

What's going on with these three?? Hmm....no one seems to be who they say they are....and let me tell you, who they really are....NOT. WHAT. I. WAS. EXPECTING.

Things get really exciting when makes an appearance. We really get to see what Ronin, Ford and Spencer are capable of now.

Rook and Ronin seem to survive the summer and have almost completed the Sturgis campaign. But of course, things just can't end on a happy note can they....HELL NO!

The ending....

Why???? Why????

Bottomline--if you loved Tragic, you'll love Manic! Team Rook and Ronin forever! Though I would most definitely read a Spencer and Ford book. Write fast JA Huss--

I need Panic ASAP!!!
Profile Image for MELISSA *Mel Reader*.
1,347 reviews1,419 followers
July 26, 2013
Another fantastic book by J.A. Huss! Even though I was tempted a little by Ford, their is just no competing with the mouthwatering model perfection that is RONIN!!!

-I realize my fingers just walked their way down to the waistband of his shorts right along with my eyes and when I look up at him he's grinning.

-I know it's just your basic flirt, but actually, Ronin does it to me at all times. I have to take a deep breath to quiet my heart rate a little because everything about him sets me off. "Kiss me."

-This girl makes me feel more than good. It's like every touch, every look, every sound that comes from her mouth is something sensual and perfect.

-I want you next to me and when you're not there I feel like a part of me is missing.
Profile Image for Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog.
1,260 reviews9,964 followers
January 1, 2014
4.5 Stars

Manic is the continuation of Rook's story.
I still pretty much like her.
She's healing little by little and giving away some control by trusting Ronin.
She may even be falling for him.

photo image_zps8a5c241a.jpg

So far I'm Team Ronin!!!
He's gorgeous.
He's madly in love with Rook.
AND he gives her intense sexual pleasure. Oh yes, I love him!!

photo image_zpsa3c6bbf2.jpg

Rook is working on the Sturgis modeling project right now.
Spencer paints her body everyday and Rook is also being filmed 24/7 for a possible reality show.
I have to say, Rook is pretty tough because it just seems extremely embarrassing to be completely naked in front of so many men and to have this hot guy, who was also her man's high school buddy, getting so intimately familiar with every inch of her body.
There were a couple of photo shoots with Spencer and Billy that were hot and don't get me started on the showers!!
But Rook is always honest about everything with Ronin.
I loved her for that!!!

I wished Ronin had put her first more and am hoping he finally stops trying to help Clare.

Ford is introduced and there are some tender moments between he and Rook, but so far I'm not seeing what the fuss is over him.
BUT I've been told Ford will become lovable in book three!

There's a bit of action towards the end and it's what caused me not to give this one a five.
These guys are supposed to be the best at what they do and they make such a stupid mistake leaving Rook alone.
This part annoyed me and reminded me of another book that had the guys doing the same thing.

I still very much enjoyed this one!!!

photo image_zps74e9139c.jpg

"You scare me, Rook."
"Because your future is making itself right now, this very moment. And you have no idea it's happening. I want you so completely it hurts. But you and I are in totally different places." - Ronin

"I've never dated a girl like you, Rook. You are everything I want. I love all your parts. I love the wary parts, the defiant parts, the independent parts, and your innocence and vulnerability. I want you next to me and when you're not there I feel like a part of me is missing. I'm so in love with you, Rook. So fucking in love with you, it scares me." - Ronin

"I'm not a runner and I'm not a cheater, either. Life is long, you are young, and I'm very, very patient." - Ford

Profile Image for Jacqueline's Reads.
2,772 reviews1,472 followers
September 6, 2016
3.75-4 Stars

Manic was good, it wasn’t as enjoyable as Tragic, but it was different.

Manic begins right where Tragic left off. Rook is now on the STURGIS account it comes with a lot of rules. She will be on camera, she has to do many photo shoots naked and she has to be photographed with other men. On top of all of this Ronin has to leave Rook and go help Claire who is in rehab in another city.

I didn’t read the summary and if I did, I am not sure I would have bumped up Manic. I originally started this series because I was interested in Ford’s spin off novel. I’m a sucker for the rich broody and emotionless type, but I didn’t want to read the spin off novel until I read the Rook and Ronin series.

I’m on the fence with Rook and Ronin. From Tragic, I wasn’t fully convinced on the relationship, to me there is some chemistry, but I’m still iffy on Ronin. Now after reading Rook and Ronin, I am still not sure on how well they mesh, but I’m iffy on both of them equally.

As always in every second book a series, the main characters separate. You have no idea how much this pisses me off. However it’s not too huge in Manic. I would say between the 10-50% Ronin leaves Rook. I think I wasn’t so upset with this was because I was kind of interested in getting to know Spencer and of course Ford.

Spencer is the owner of STURGIS bikes, so he paints Rook and even goes on the photo shoots with her. Rook thinks he isn’t into her and I guess he’s not, but there are some nearly close calls that say otherwise. Usually this would make me cringe because I hate cheating, but I suppose if it’s for the sake of the job.

Then there’s Ford who is the producer and it’s always around saying rude comments and boiling people’s blood. I love it. I love Ford. I just love his dominance, his control and how he loves to get under people’s skin.

I would say this book has a love triangle, but there are some parts where you question the love Rook and Ronin have for each other. I was frustrated with some parts because I felt the story line was dragging a bit, but the climatic ending was pretty awesome. The book kind of shifts towards the end and I was like, oh yeah, I’m like this.

So overall, Manic was decent and I will be moving forward with Panic.

Tragic (Rook and Ronin, #1) by J.A. Huss REVIEW | AMAZON
Manic (Rook and Ronin, #2) by J.A. Huss AMAZON

For more reviews, http://jacquelinesreads.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Georgia ♥ .
420 reviews1,118 followers
March 26, 2014
4 Runners and Chasers Stars

The journey is the only thing that counts because once you reach your destination, there's always somewhere else to go. Another journey to take. Life is like that.

In life we run away from nightmares, people and situations. Scared and scarred we afraid of confrontation and we are not brave enough to prove to ourselves that we are free. To live, to dream, to live like we want. To make our dreams come true.

description

In life we also chase our dreams, the ones we love, the goal that we think is always a little out of reach. That is the brave choice. To fight dirty. To fall seven times and get up eight. To go after the thing that makes you happy with all you got.

description

This is the sequel of the story about a runner meeting a chaser and together the mix is EXPLOSIVE!!!!!

description

Rook and Ronin are back and with a bang. Hotheaded, stubborn and vulnerable they are making stupid decisions, trying to make the most of what they got and they fall irrevocably in love. After the TRAGIC campaign, Rook signed the STURGIS contract and now she has a lot in her plate.

Bikes, body paint, reality shows, a mysterious drug addict niece with a Ronin addiction and two mysterious men from Ronin's past that she let mess with her head, emotions and heart. On top of all that she takes advices from anyone, she questions her relationship and decision to go on with the erotic photography business and she is being stalked by her asshole of ex-husband. Thank God, she has 3 evil masterminds to her disposable with more secrets than she could ever hope to handle. And Ronin is once again beyond HOOOOOOOOOOT!

description

This book had lulled at the beginning, not able to really connect with anyone because I kept questioning their motives and actions. Then I just accepted that this is a book about villains in a story with a moral code and a huge heart and I fell in love! J.A. Huss handles masterfully a cast of evil characters making them likeable and adorable. They are manipulators, sex-addicts, liars but they own it. It's sexy, exciting, emotional and a dash suspenseful... so go on and give it a try.

I am on to Panic!!!!

Profile Image for Kim Bailey.
Author 9 books609 followers
May 3, 2015
5 Stars

JA Huss has managed the near impossible ... a sequel that surpasses the first! I did NOT think it was possible to be more in love with Rook & Ronin - I was SO wrong.

Manic picks up right where Tragic leaves off. I was completely caught off guard by the intensity of this story. It bursts out of the gate, takes off running & never lets up. Right to the very end. I'm not a runner anymore. I'm a chaser.

There was nothing predictable about this book - I absolutely love that I could't guess at what was coming next.
All the characters are amazing ... every single one of them. And I love the way they interact. But most of all, I'm pretty sure that I'm completely in love with Ronin Flynn ... so much more than he seems.

Can't wait to get started on Panic.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,997 reviews85 followers
July 29, 2013
**ARC kindly provided by author in exchange for honest review

Review also posted on www.bookbitchesblog.com

RATING CLARIFICATION :: 4.5 Stars

WOW....What can I say. I truly think this was an excellent second book to this series. I can even say that I enjoyed this book more then Tragic (book 1). I fell in love with Rook and Ronin in Tragic and that love just continued to grow throughout this book. What I really liked about Rook and Ronin in this book, is that even though they encounter some bumps in the road...they somehow come together and work them out together.

Manic starts off right where Tragic ended. Rook just finished the Tragic contract and now is getting ready for the Sturgis contract. But what she is truly starting to see is that she might have made a huge mistake by signing the contract. Rook is still all about living for herself and not letting a man have control of her again, but she has released some of that control to Ronin.

Let me just say that i thought there was mystery surrounding Ronin in Tragic...well the mystery factor was bumped up a whole nother notch. Between Ronin, Spencer, and Ford...the secrets are plentiful. It almost seemed like all three guys were fighting to keep the attention of Rook, based on past events that happened between the three guys. I was truly glad to that as the story continued in this book we got the answers to some of the dispute between the three guys. I think that will make it easier going into book 3 knowing why they don't get along.

I have to say that Rook kind of annoyed me in this book. I really liked her in Tragic because she was a strong girl who didn't want any man controlling her and was determined to make her own decisions. In Manic she was still that strong girl to an extent, but she was also kind wishy washy when it came to Ronin. I liked that she was willing to trust him enough to start giving him some control in their relationship, but she also allowed both Spencer and Ford to influence her thought process by things they said and did. You just need to read the story to truly understand what I am saying. Ronin on the other hand still stole my heart in this book. He even got more swoony in Manic. Don't get em wrong Ronin is still very secretive in this book, but to me that just adds to his appeal. Ronin does have a slight lapse in judgement when it comes to Clare, but truly I believe that has more to do with Elise than it does Clare. I kind of wish Ronin would've stood up to Elise and Antoine more in this book when it came to Clare. Spencer and Ford are the other two guys in Rook's life. Spencer to me is adorable...I really like him, but I have to say I don't believe he would be a good fit for Rook, except maybe as a friend. Now Ford on the other hand....I couldn't stand him for the majority of the book. I didn't trust him and I thought his intentions toward Rook were kind of shady. He did kind of grow on me by the end of the book, but I am still leary of him. We'll see if he changes in Book 3.

I have to say the twist that JA Huss put into the story towards the end was totally unexpected. I thought part of the twist would've happened earlier in the story but the rest of it I didn't see coming at all..It sure did explain a lot about Spencer, Ford, and Ronin. But I will not expand on that, you will just need to pick up a copy of the book and read it to find out what I am talking about. I will also tell you that the steam factor is stepped up a notch in this book compared to Tragic, between the photo sessions and the passion between Rook and Ronin....I thought my kindle might melt. ;)

I would definitely recommend this book/series to everyone. This was a book like no other that I have read before. The storyline is totally unique, which I found totally refreshing. I can't wait to see what happens in Rook and Ronin's world in book 3....Panic...which comes out in October. It should be interesting to see what effect Spencer, Ford and the surprise visitor at the very end of the book, have on their relationship.

Favorite Line:
"I want you in my bed every night. I want you to be part of me forever. I want to make an us with you."...Ronin

Profile Image for Jac K.
2,010 reviews225 followers
July 27, 2021
**These are not standalones, for more deets on the series click HERE**

2.5 “Rook’s milkshake brings all the guys to the yard” Stars

Manic is probably my least favorite of the bunch for two reasons. 1- I don’t like when the h & H spend large amounts of the book separated. (looking at you New Moon) I want a romance, and smut which is difficult when they aren’t together. AND 2. I’m not a fan of love triangles. I struggle to “buy in” to a relationship where it feels like the character is keeping options open. (why I hate The Bachelor) Technically, Rook doesn’t stray, but it’s hard to get motivated to take on this reading commitment while the h is constantly having feelings for OM. We have Rook + Billy, Rook + Spencer, and Rook +Ford… all while trying to believe in Rook + Ronin. If that’s not enough, we also get a wannabe OW that tries to start shit.

All this made me struggle with most of the characters. Rook is annoying AF. She wants to be strong, but wants everyone to coddle her. She wants to be independent, but makes terrible decisions. Like, she freaks out after she gets pulled over for driving like a lunatic because the cop ran her DL, and her abusive ex is looking for her…BUT she’s been posing as a model for national campaigns. (cuz he won’t see her there 🤦‍♀️) Ronin is too nice and gullible. He puts up with all Rook’s shit, and is so blind with Clare’s machinations. Elise is a flip flopper. She guilts him to take care of Clare, then guilts him into not being there for Rook. Ford is a smidge creepy, and trying to steal his buddy’s girl.

Bottom Line- I struggled with Rook; she feels like a user. She uses Ronin when it suits her, she uses Ford for friendship even though she knows he wants in her pants, she even uses Veronica to get away…which was such a coward/shitty move. I think part of the problem is that the author repeatedly tells us how perfect she is, but she’s not, so it gets annoying.
Profile Image for ❤Casey❤.
142 reviews27 followers
June 28, 2015
Like the first book, I'm not going to fully review this book. It's been done, wonderfully many times. Just gonna add my thoughts........

Still in love with Ronin. Be still my beating heart. He did piss me off in this book, running off to "help" Clare, which amounted to saying a few sentences to her during one visit. Literally he chose Clare over Rook several times. I wanted to beat him. But I still swooned over him.

Rook is getting stronger by the chapter but I'm hoping the event towards the end of the book with Jon doesn't steer her off course.

Love, love, love Spencer Shrike. I think I'm most excited to read his spin off book next. He's hot but still down to earth and funny.

I'm not a huge Ford fan. I'm told that will change during the 3rd book, but idk? I'm not a fan of the guy who tries to steal the heroine away from the hero, even if said "guy" is hot, smart and reads to me. Yes, the reading got to me. How freaking sweet. I'm sure I will LOVE him in his own book..........chasing after another girl........ just not Rook. Lol!

Clare........I'm sure when or if she gets out of rehab, she'll be lots of trouble for Rook and Ronin and that makes me dislike her very much. Not looking forward to her in the third book.

I am very much looking forward to Rook and Ronin having their HEA AND dreams come true!

Great writing, great story, great characters. What more could you want?
Profile Image for Bella.
599 reviews109 followers
October 5, 2013
Manic is an awesome sequel to Tragic.

In Manic, Rook's circumstances are completely different. She is no longer homeless and desperate. She has signed on to be Spencer's canvass - which is a bit more confusing than she thought it would be. And for someone that was homeless, I would think she would be a bit more responsible in reading her contracts and showing up on time for things. Why would you risk losing your job?? And if you're running from an abusive ex, why would you take a modeling job where you'll be on tv??

Ronin is more than meets the eye. There is this air of mystery to him - is he a good guy? Is he a liar? Is he Rook's HEA?? I feel in my gut that he is good, but there is more to him than we know. And I NEED to know more!!

Spencer & Ford play a big role in this book.

Love Spencer!! Can't figure out Ford - good guy? Bad guy? Devious intentions?

This book keeps me guessing!!! Not to mention it's totally hot. And has some really suspenseful scenes that had me on the edge of my seat. What is happening!!!???

All I know is I want to do a photo shoot with Ronin. Sigh.

OK, peeps. If you have read Tragic, you MUST read Manic. And if you haven't read Tragic - WTF are you waiting for?? This series is awesome!!

Thanks JA!
Profile Image for Coco.V.
48.6k reviews4 followers
March 27, 2021
💝FREE on iBooks today (6/11/2018)!💝

Blurb:
TRAGIC is over… and Rook is ready for the future--Spencer Shrike and the STURGIS contract!

It's three months of body art modeling! That means three months of Spencer Shrike's paintbrush all over her body, three months in front of Antoine's camera, and three months of twenty-four-hour filming for Spencer's Biker Channel reality show.

Wait a minute... what reality show? Maybe she should've read that STURGIS contract a little closer? ;)

Sure, Rook's bank account is overflowing, but Ronin is angry, Clare is trying to escape rehab, Antoine is a worried mess, and Elise is just trying to hold everyone together. Rook's new family is about to fall apart before she even gets the chance to enjoy it.
Profile Image for Jen O'grady.
210 reviews15 followers
November 1, 2013
The continuation of Rook and Ronins story, in this book we see Rook modelling for Spencer with Spencer, Billy and Ronin, and it gets hot in the studio !!
Twists and turns in this book as an unwanted visitor from the past turns up.
It's unputadownable I'm just loving these books almost as much as I'm loving Ford !!
Profile Image for Gitte TotallyBookedBlog.
1,970 reviews942 followers
July 26, 2013
Jointly Reviewed on: http://totallybookedblog.com/2013/07/...

Gitte:
The excitement to be back with Rook and (sigh) Ronin was almost too much wasn’t it Jenny. We loved Tragic and couldn’t wait to hear what was in store for them next. Upon starting ‘Manic’ we find Rook just about to embark on the Sturgis contract. Dragging her feet, regretting her decision to be involved, a decision made out of ‘childish spite.’ She’s been warned yet has no idea what she’s let herself in for and to begin with she’s regretting that all important ‘yes’. However, as the story moves on she takes charge of herself, her body and her environment whilst making many self-discoveries. It all comes to a head when Rook’s past clashes with her present and we make discoveries that B.L.E.W my mind!

Throughout the journey we go on with Rook in ‘Manic’ it’s quite apparent that she’s changing. She was vulnerable yet self-aware; looking out for herself.

“This girl has been in denial for so long she can barely process the truth.”

Now, she has self-confidence and questions everything around her. This does not mean her vulnerability and appealing sweet nature is forgotten, it comes out in several scenes. Rook forms and enhances a connection with our three main men, ‘the gorgeous three’s’ – Ronin, Spencer and Ford. Each offering her something she needs.

“…Not only am I young….I’m also pretty fucked up in the life department…I was tragic. So tragic they had a campaign with my name on it. So fucking tragic I was living in a homeless shelter when I turned up here.”

‘Manic’ was Rook’s journey and sadly this meant that Ronin didn’t feature as much…and I missed him…a lot! This guy just amazes me, he isn’t afraid of voicing what he wants or how he feels.

“…He likes the lost ones…He likes to swoop in and save them…”

Mind you, a certain Mr. Ford gave Ronin a run for his money for me and I may have fallen in complete lust, oh and the man reads…LUSH! But I digress…You missed Ronin too didn’t you Jenny?

Jenny: We were definitely more than ready to be back with Rook and….yes…(insert major dreamy sigh here!) Ronin. Seriously, that man can do no wrong in my eyes. I am in book boyfriend love with him. Oh yeah…where was I? Right, so Manic takes us a step further after Tragic when Rook is embarking on the Shrike contract – involving lots of body paint and hardly a stitch of clothing. If Rook thought the Tragic contract was erotic photography…well…this definitely takes things to another level!

Rook is wading her way through the job which also came with an “added” bonus of a reality show she wasn’t aware of, establishing a new relationship and learning who she is in the process.

“I want you to take care of me, Ronin.”

Oh yes please! Manic really was Rook’s journey and yes, you’re spot on G. I really did miss Ronin for a bit of this book. I love his voice, I love the interaction between him Spencer and Ford and most importantly I love the sparks that fly between him and Rook, so yes, I missed that DIVINE man. Don’t get me wrong, exploring the relationships between Rook, Spencer and Ford was fun but well….Ronin is it for me in case you haven’t guessed!

“Then let me, just let me put it all together for us. I can make you happy.”

Gitte:
So whilst Rook is getting on with the Sturgis contract which involves nudity and stunning paintwork, Ronin is called away. This leaves her in the company of the hot Spencer, the gorgeous and cheeky Billy and the enigmatic, highly intense and intriguing Ford. Her feelings are all over the place and at times her thoughts and behaviour regarding Ronin peeved me off a bit. I understand she’s a young girl who’s had a horrific past; however, her thought process and actions were confusing at times.

“It’s work, Rook. Not love.”

As her past catches up with her, she needs her strength and new friendships more than ever. Did you feel the same about Rook as I did Jenny?

Jenny: I really do love Rook. She’s a feisty little thing and she speaks her mind. She’s put up with enough crap in her life and she’s going to do things on her terms. Underneath she’s still that vulnerable young woman and I did have to keep reminding myself she was only 19 because, as you said, her thought processes were so jumbled at times that she did give me whiplash and now and then her reactions and inner thoughts in that regard frustrated me. Rook is a contradiction, she keeps you on your toes…very much the self assured woman one minute and the questioning young girl the next.

Gitte: So, I really enjoyed how ‘Manic’ began and I loved the last third of the book. The middle fell short for me however and it became a bit of a filler book. I understand that the journey Rook made through the Sturgis contract was important to her, however, there are only so many modelling scenes you need to or can read about before it becomes repetitive. Nothing much happened and I felt it dragged. The last third of ‘Manic’…well what can I say? The revelations were brilliant. The discoveries we made, the dynamics of relationships and secrets revealed. Just FAB! LOVED it! If only they had not been rushed in right at the end and been delved upon deeper. Well, then the middle bit of the book dragging would have been null and void in my opinion.

“Your first impression of Spencer should be dumb…Your first impression of Ford should be well-dressed asshole, but maybe a little on the weak side….Your first impression of me should be honest, trustworthy guy…Your first impressions would be dead-ass wrong in all three cases.” – Ronin

My only concern now is book #3. I have no idea where it’s going as the actual last few pages had me baffled, though at least it didn’t end on a cliff-hanger as such. I just hope we get to not only see more of ‘the gorgeous three’ but also learn more about them and their past and yes I am hoping for that elusive HEA for Rook and Ronin.

“I want you to take care of me, Ronin.”

“Then let me, just let me put it all together for us. I can make you happy.”

I love this Authors writing style and her characters are intense with so much depth and appeal. I would definitely recommend adding this series to your tbr and cannot wait for the next instalment! It’s a real passionate, sensual, intriguing, emotional and thrilling ride.

“I’ve never dated a girl like you, Rook. You are everything I want. I love all your parts. I love the wary parts, the defiant parts, the independent parts, and your innocence and vulnerability. I want you next to me and when you’re not there I feel like a part of me is missing. I’m so in love with you, Rook. So fucking in love with you, it scares me.”

What did you think Jenny?

Jenny: Yes Gitte, when discussing Manic, we both did feel that the middle did fall somewhat flat due to the overuse of the modelling assignment descriptions. They felt a little overkill at times and did give this book a somewhat filler feel through the middle…but wow! were we absolutely knocked off our socks towards the end of this book. I was gobsmacked, knocked sideways because the author managed to take this in a different direction I DID NOT see coming at all and I love nothing more than being surprised!

“Now my fucking girlfriend’s stuck in the middle, she’s got no idea what I used to do, and the whole fucking things is about to blow up in my face.”

The relationships, the intrigue and the plot twist really did keep me on my toes though I did feel, like you, there was one element which felt rather rushed and I would have seen this part of the story that drawn out a little more at the expense of the lengthy modelling scenes in the middle.

Despite this, I have to say I really enjoyed Manic. This author really does write her characters so well and Rook’s relationships with Spencer, Ford and Ronin are all so very different and each is explored so beautifully and yes! I’m dying to see where she takes us with Rook and Ronin and what awaits them down the track. These two are so passionate, their chemistry consumes you.

“I want you next to me and when you’re not there I feel like a part of me is missing."

In Manic we are drip fed just enough to keep us guessing, then whack…we’re hit between the eyes with revelations when you least expect it! This is a series I would absolutely recommend picking up. I can’t wait for book three and we are indeed left asking what on earth is going to happen next, because I have no idea where she is taking us in Panic, but what I do know I’ll be first in line to take a seat on the next ride with Rook & Ronin…oh.. And Ford….I want to know a whole lot more about you buddy! Yummmmm!
261 reviews10 followers
December 17, 2013
You, my dear sweet Rook are not tragic anymore. That is over. But you went and fucked it all up didn't you. Just to prove a point that you don't have to list to Ronin. But now look what you did, you have gotten yourself so far in the deep end who will pull you out. Pull up your fucking big girl panties and deal with your issues. You made this decision. you have to live with it.

Let him paint your body, let him make you his muse. Get on that bike, get turned the fuck on and the god damn picture. Ford pisses you off, shut the fuck up and get paid. That's what your job is. You should have read the fine print. But you didn't and now you have to live with the consequences.

Ronin is dealing with Clare. So what. How many times does he have to tell you he loves you. He does, but you are insecure and he isn't here to hold your hand. So let Spence be your friend and try and keep your clothes on. Oh wait, you have no clothes on 3/4 of the book, just paint, well keep the nipple tassels in place, will ya.

Ford doesn't want you to figure him out. He wants to remain a mystery and I all for letting him fuck me. I love this man. Rook you have Ronin, you can't have Ford too. Give him to me. Ill deal with his issues. Can be the one that breaks Ford. I will make him my bitch. Just wait and see

I loved this book. I loved it hard and I want to marry Ford. This might have been a book about Ronin and Rook but Ford stole the spotlight for me. I surrender to him.

Profile Image for Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••.
987 reviews1,827 followers
January 14, 2016
I couldn't put this book down. Not at all. Had to finish it, all in one setting just to find out what happens. I'm not gonna lie, I read most of the reviews so I was nervous coming into this second book. I got the vibe from the first book, and the book reviews, that this story would possibly turn. It did, in a way I didn't think it would. Let's just say, I'm sucked completely into this series and I can't concentrate on a review when I have to finish it ;-) so far a must read series!

A line that stuck out to me in this second book:
"See ya Sunday. Love you."
Profile Image for Kara.
1,297 reviews20 followers
August 9, 2016
This was book 2 of the series.

What a great 2nd book! I loved every bit of this story (well every bit but the Claire story line). Rook is a great female mc. Ronin, Spencer & Ford - what a web they weave. I can't wait to read more about them in the next book!

Book 300 in 2013!

***UPDATE This is one of my Top 5 Reads for 2103***
Profile Image for Janey.
1,287 reviews
August 11, 2014
4.5 OMFG stars

Wonderful surprise of a story. The MC's continue their journey..we have a wealth of fantastic supporting characters..a gripping storyline...& there's still more!

Onto Panic...
Profile Image for CeCe.
3,393 reviews109 followers
August 3, 2013
4.5 out of 5 Stars; Maniac started a little after Tragic left off. The TRAGIC contract shoot was over and Rook was starting the STURGIS contract. Rook is having doubts that she made the right decision when she signed the STURGIS contract since she did not realize that part of the agreement was having cameras in her apartment and follow her to tape a reality show. Rook sitting naked while Spencer paints her everyday puts a little strain on Rook and Ronin’s relationship, but can they overcome it? Besides the STURGIS contract, Clare is in rehab and Ronin is asked to help her get back on her treatment.

Characters: We got to meet Ford in this book. He is a high school friend of both Ronin and Spencer’s. They have a history that I think that “history” made the story interesting.
Regarding Clare, I know I am going to sound like a bad person, but honestly, I am getting more and more irritated with that whole situation. I almost feel like it is an excuse for Clare to see Ronin otherwise he would not give her the time of day. I completely understood how Rook felt “your just going to leave??” Ronin is a good person and he wants to help Clare and I understand she has been like family to him, but her “needing” him is getting to be too much.

We see Rook become a little bit more confident. Rook knew that certain issues she was having with her relationship with Ronin were only due to the bad experiences with her ex, but I love Rook. She is funny, witty and I just like her character.

I hope Spencer and Ford get their own stories. Actually, I hope Veronica gets her own story.

“She’s like a live-action cartoon character. She’s the real-life Jessica Rabbit.”

Positives: I love when a story has me on edge and I do not know what is going to happen. This book was a great sequel to Tragic.

“You make my heart happy right now. So totally and completely happy. I see a lot of things in our future.”

Oh, I hope.

Negatives: At the beginning until about 35% or so, I was worried that the entire story was going to be about Rook feeling weird about doing the painting and feeling guilty since Ronin was not around. I love Rook, but some things that were going on at this shoot were making me uncomfortable. However, that was not the entire story. So much more happens and we find out a lot more about Ronin. At about 40%, I could not stop reading.

Bottom line: I could not put this book down. I was reading until 2:30am. I had to know what was going to happen and how all things would end. That ending, I am not sure what direction the author is going go with in Panic. Also, I loved the author’s End of Book Shit.
Book Format Read: A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 717 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.