Jump to ratings and reviews

His Kind of Cowgirl

Would he still love her…if he knew?

Tanner Hayes smashed Claire's life to pieces when he chose the rodeo over her ten years ago. And now he'd wrecked her truck! Fantastic. She'd lost her husband, the family ranch was mired in debt, her father was recuperating from a stroke and her son was being bullied. Why not throw a reckless bull rider into the mix?

All she'd wanted was a safe, stable life. But with Tanner back in town—and staying on her ranch—nothing was safe, or under control. Not the feelings she'd fought so hard to forget. Not the son she was determined to protect. And certainly not her long-held secret…

368 pages, Mass Market Paperback

40 books1,583 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 63 reviews
Profile Image for Kathy.
2,073 reviews604 followers
May 24, 2020
I really enjoyed this one!

I love a good contemporary western, I also love a good second chance at love story, and this had both! Tanner and Claire didn't part on the best of terms, in fact Clarie would be happy if she never saw him again. Life has other plans and she is not to happy when they are thrown back together again.

Clarie was a pretty tough character, she'd been through a lot. Sheesh, that opening prologue had me crying! Maybe it hit a little too close to home. Anyway, she was devastated at the loss of her sweet husband and when the book picks up two years later she is desperately trying to save her fathers bull ranch. She's been homeschooling her son since he's getting bullied at school and doesn't need any other distractions. That's when Tanner crashes back into her life. I wasn't sure what to think of Tanner (until we meet him then I started rooting for him pretty quickly), I am so glad we got things from his POV, its obvious he still has deep feelings for Claire, and I loved to see that side of him. I ended up really liking his character, who could resist a swoony bull rider?

I thought the overall story was good, the pacing was great and kept me turning the pages. I was sucked in from the start. I loved the setting and characters. Overall, an entertaining read. I'll definitely be reading more of Ms. Rock's books, fan for life now. :)

Content
Romance: Clean, mild innuendo-passionate kisses that stayed clean
Language: Mild
Violence: None
Religious: None

Similar Books You May Enjoy...
One Summer Day (Prosperity Ranch #1) by Heather B. Moore Mending Hearts (Second Chances, #2) by Kimberly Krey The Accidental Bride (A Big Sky Romance, #2) by Denise Hunter Betting on Hope (Four of Hearts Ranch Romance #1) by Debra Clopton
Profile Image for Aimee (Getting Your Read On).
2,998 reviews251 followers
February 25, 2016
When I saw that Karen Rock had a new book coming out through Harlequin Heartwarming I clicked right over to find a review copy to read! (Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin!) Karen Rock is one of my favorite authors in the Harlequin Heartwarming line. I love her books, every single time. This book is no exception.

I'm telling you, there is just something about cowboys. Bull riding, risk taking, lonely cowboys. For Claire, cowboys are the love them and leave them type and she has no use for them. Her heart has been crushed once and she's not going to allow it to happen a second time- especially by the same man.

Tanner is looking for connections. He is looking for roots. After being hurt riding bulls, he heads back to the one place he felt love. Yes, he's a bit slow on the uptake but I loved how Tanner just jumps in and starts proving himself right from the beginning. He helps Claire grow in confidence.

Oh, the mistakes. The misunderstandings. The secrets and the pride. All of those things add to the sizzle moments, the growing bonds and the truth to make the end product so, so sweet. This was a fantastic clean romance. Love!

Content: reference to a previous sexual relationship, kissing
Profile Image for Renee Entress.
5,156 reviews72 followers
March 4, 2016
4 star

I was pulled right into this story. The story has laughs, pain, secrets, grief, and heartbreak.

This is Claire and Tanner’s story. Claire and Tanner were together years ago but he chose the rodeo over her. Now ten years later Claire is struggling. She is trying to take care of everything. Tanner is in town and working on the ranch. She has secrets that she kept from him what is he ever finds out? With Claire and Tanner both being stubborn about things will the secrets be the one thing that tears them apart for good? Or will finding out the secret bring them closer together? What is all the things Claire is being so stubborn about really just worry over not tying someone to a life they never wanted before? Can Tanner convince Claire that he is a changed man? The he wants to stay with her?

I was able to connect with the characters and the story was a great read.

I recommend this book and can’t wait for the next story from this author.
Profile Image for Lola.
1,569 reviews246 followers
February 7, 2016
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

This is going to be a tricky review to write as on the one hand I really enjoyed this book and on the other hand I also had some issues with it. Karen Rock is one of my favourite romance authors and I am always excited when a new book by her is released and request them if I see them on netgalley without even looking at the blurb first. I like her writing style, how she can make me care and feel emotions alongside the characters. The first chapter of this book was like a punch in the gut and almost had me in tears.

Once I started I finished the book in a few days as I just wanted to keep reading. There's a lot I liked about this book: Claire her relationship with her father, Claire her relationship with her son, Tanner his struggle and how he acted around Jonathan, the trouble with the ranch, the awesome ranch setting and ofcourse all the animals. Karen Rock really knows how to write animals and kids well and she makes em care about them quicker than I care about the other characters.

So I almost immediately liked Jonathan, Claire her son, and the animals, like Roxy the dog, the horses and even the bulls. The two main characters on the other hand took a bit more effort. Claire has been gone through a lot, she lost her husband and is now a single mother. She never told anyone that the kid is actually from her first love Tanner and not her dead husband. Tanner returns to the ranch where Claire lives to help her father try and save the ranch from foreclosure.

There are misunderstandings, secrets, things that don't get talked through and on top of that Claire and Tanner are two of the most stubborn characters I ever met. Yes it was hard to like these two at first, especially as they both had done some stupid things. She never told the father of her son that he even had a son and he left the love of his life to go to rodeo as he though that would make her proud, while she just wanted him to stay with her. Claire is being so mean to Tanner while he comes to help and she instantly reject all his ideas, playing it over cautious and never giving him and his help a chance. Slowly though I began to see the good in them, how Claire just wanted the best for her son, was afraid to tie Tanner to a life he didn't wanted to and was over cautious due to what happened in her past. Tanner was so sued to other telling him he wouldn't amount to anything that he was constantly fighting to prove he could make something out of his life, while only later realizing that the only thing he wanted and needed was love and family.

The romance was off to a rocky start for me, these two could fight and fight and fight and maybe that's because they cared too much instead of too little, but sheesh I just wanted them to stop fighting and making assumptions and instead would talk things through, explained their reasonings and bare their secrets. It took time and patience, but eventually I did see they cared about each other and how they brought out the best in each other. Tanner made Claire more confident and I think that's worth a lot of an anxious and overcautious person. Claire made Tanner realize he was okay the way he was and that he didn't have to prove anything. They made a great couple, but I just wished they fought less. There are some great romantic scenes between these two, especially the scene with the championship, where I really felt their connection and what these two meant to each other But there are even more scenes of fighting, pushing each other away, saying nasty things and lying.

There's also this scene towards the end which just felt like an obvious plot device to throw some more conflict their way and have them jump to their old conclusions. It just felt off and unrealistic. They should know better by then and it just seemed weird how they could say such harsh things to each other and then bounce back. Yes people say things they later regret, but with these two everything felt like a battle. Maybe it's also because a lot of Karen Rock her books follow this pattern that it's become so predictable and I hope she proves me wrong with each book.

Then there were scenes that show the power of family, the sweet relationships between Claire, her father, her son and Tanner and the life they enjoy on the ranch that were heartwarming. I also loved the ranch setting, with the animals, riding lessons and the calm and peaceful setting of the ranch that was their home for so long and the danger they now faced of losing it. There's also a scene at the championship later that I loved and it made me appreciate the live they had build there and how they fought to keep it if they could.

To summarize: This book has a lot of things that I enjoyed, but also some issues that bothered me. The story hooked me form the firts page and I was so invested in the story that I didn't want to stop reading. There is a lot I enjoyed like the relationships between the characters and Karen Rock writes the animals and kids so well you immediately care about them. I did however struggle a bit with the romance and the two main characters, Claire and Tanner have a bit of a past and know better how to fight than to lvoe eahc other. And it just got old how they kept fighting and pushing each other away and being nasty. Claire countered every idea Tanner had and they didn't take time to talk it through. The romance was hard to feel as they fought so much, but later in the book they soften towards each other and I also realized how good these two were for each other. I wasn't a fan of the twist towards the end which felt like a last ditch effort to introduce more conflict and which is pretty predictable for Karen her books. The ranch setting was awesome and it is a heartwarming book that left me with a smile on my face. It's more a 3.5 stars rating, but I decided to round it up to a 4 star as in the end I really did enjoy the book despite my issues with it.
Profile Image for Katrina Epperson.
615 reviews
February 27, 2016
I was privileged to receive an advance copy of the book from the author via Netgalley to read and review.

This is a wonderful story.

I loved Claire. She is a beautiful, young woman who's strength is about to get tested even more. She has recently lost her husband and now her father has had a stroke. She and her son have returned home to care for him and the ranch. Unfortunately after their arrival Claire finds out that the ranch is deeply in debt and ready to be foreclosed on. She sees only one out and that is to sell the ranch for much less than it's worth, but they would be out of debt. Also it would allow for her dad to go into an assisted living facility just down the road. One problem, her dad has his own thoughts about ranch and how exactly to get it out of debt and it doesn't even call for selling it. Needless to say tension was very thick at the ranch between Claire and her dad. Added to that her son is having difficulties. She has taken him out of public school and is now trying to homeschool.

Just when she thinks she's got everything lined out a vehicle comes out of no where and strikes her vehicle. It get's better. The other vehicle was driven by Tanner the one person she really doesn't want to see. Tanner and Claire have a history. Yes, they do. Years before he was the love of her life, but he chose his career over her. Was she over the heartbreak, what do you think?

Tanner, a world champion bull rider is now on a medical leave from the circuit due to an injury. He knows one more injury and he's in serious trouble. He has had plans in his head about starting a bull riding school, but hasn't really had a chance to see it to fruitation. Now he has agree to help Martin save his ranch he might be able to see if he can put some plans in motion. Just one problem, Claire.

As I said this is a wonderful story about second chances and forgiveness. I loved Claire and Tanner's characters which are strong and well developed. This is a sweet plot that will draw you in immediately and keep your turning the pages. This is a story that will evoke both laughter and tears.

This is a story I would recommend to anyone looking for a good romance interlaced with humor.

Profile Image for Jessica.
2,099 reviews50 followers
January 22, 2016
Things seems to be going from bad to worse for Claire. The death of her husband, her father had a stroke and she finds out her family ranch is in a load of debt. As if that wasn't enough she ends up crashing her car into the last person she would like to see again, Tanner the man who got away and chose his career over her. Little does he know that her child is actually his son but she'll refuse to let that guy know. Things get complicated when she finds out that her father and him are in cahoots to save the ranch, which leaves it where she, her son and tanner are going to be around each other.

I enjoyed this story it was a sweet book. I loved that even though Claire can seem overbearing sometimes, its was with the best intentions as a mother to her son. I thought that there was enough of a bit of drama to keep things interesting. I liked the connection between Claire and Tanner. I thought that the book was well written with no dull moments. Overall I great story, I really enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Katie (hiding in the pages).
3,006 reviews232 followers
March 1, 2016
When you take some pretty hefty misunderstandings and add them to an undeniable attraction, family, a ranch, and loyalty, you either need to go big or go home. So who's all in?

Claire's had a rough life. Ten years earlier, Tanner left her for rodeo and her husband was recently killed in Afghanistan, leaving her with a father, who just had a stroke, a young bullied son, and a ranch that's almost belly up. A chance encounter brings Tanner back into her life and Claire isn't sure she can weather the storm of emotions that he brings with him.

Learning to trust someone again isn't easy, but there were times when I felt like Claire would take two steps forward and then one step back, which is very frustrating. She's stubborn--when she gets her mind set on something, it's hard to sway her--I will give her that. She's a very good mother and daughter, but she needs to move on. Tanner isn't perfect, but his intentions are good, if a little misguided. He's got nothing to lose and is willing to gamble everything. They are a good complement to each other--nonchalant versus sass. I absolutely loved each of their qualities and their interactions with each other were full of sparks, both good and bad.

Ms. Rock, one of my favorite authors, does a fantastic job of capturing emotion in a neat plot with a very realistic setting. There's something about cowboys and their hardworking nature, fierce allegiance, an unrefined edges that completely warms my heart and draws me right in. Well done!

Content: a few mild cuss words; mild romance (vague implication to pre-marital relationship that resulted in pregnancy, kissing); mild violence. Clean!

*I received a copy through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•.
2,406 reviews208 followers
February 29, 2016

This is a second chance love story that is overshadowed by a secret. One of those secrets that the longer it is kept, the worse the outfall is going to be. That is what kept me a bit frustrated and feeling a bit on the edge as I mosied along through this story. This isn’t a little white lie in the scale of secrets, it is a life changing one.

I really liked Tanner, he is a young man that has man some mistakes but has learnt from them. His willingness to help turn the ranch around says a lot about his character and they way he takes Jonathan under his wing is really sweet.

Claire is the character that frustrated me. She is so fixated on selling the ranch, putting her dad in a nursing home and doing so with as little interaction with Tanner as possible. It annoyed me that she couldn’t seem to see that this wasn’t what her father wanted at all and she takes a long time to see things from his & Tanner’s point of view. She was too scared to take a chance until Tanner gave her the confidence to and when she does she sees that this is where she was meant to be.

This was a lovely second chance love story.
Profile Image for Heidi.
Author 33 books410 followers
February 2, 2016
I'm a fan of Karen Rock's work and always intrigued to see what she comes up with next. I loved the ranch setting and struggling bull rider role that Tanner played so well. Claire's grit and determination to move past the death of her husband and try to raise her son, save the ranch, and look out for her father's health kept me immersed in the story. Tanner's arrival definitely complicated her well-ordered plans and it was fun to see the romance develop between Tanner and Claire again, despite her best intentions to keep it from happening. Tanner's tender care for his biological son and dedication to helping save the ranch made him a great hero. His Kind of Cowgirl is a clean, heartwarming romance that will leave the reader satisfied and looking forward to more from this talented author. Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin for the complimentary copy. All opinions stated here are my own.
Profile Image for MK.
1,329 reviews18 followers
February 20, 2016
Loved this book. So very touching. Can the heart love again?
Claire Shelton has just lost the one man who was there for her when she needed it. He was the best husband anyone could ask for, especially when she was in dire straights.
When the news came she was devastated. She was left raising her son by herself. She took care of her father..Then a man she vowed never to see again came back into her life she didn't know what to do.

When Tanner Hayes and Claire saw each after 10 years it was in the middle of an intersection both getting tickets. Him smashing her car..He came back home for a reason. It was to help out her father, but things changed along the way. Both were hiding things.

Highly suggest you buy the book to see what happens. My first book by Karen Rock and won't be my last..

I was given a copy from NetGalley.
Profile Image for Darlene Avery.
939 reviews4 followers
February 22, 2016
His Kind of Cowgirl by Karen Rock took me by complete surprise. The emotions of loss, and the need to find forgiveness, are paramount in this storyline.

Claire Shelton has lived a life making hard decisions, but decisions she felt were best for her and her family. She has always put her family first, however she has also let her own fears get in the way of happiness.

Tanner Hayes has always felt he had something to prove. To prove he was more than his hometown thought of him as a youth. And now he's a star bull rider. With the whole world at his feet.

Claire and Tanner's past collide and now the question remains; will they be enemies or lovers.

Rock laid out so many issues in this book with a steady hand and a strong story line. She deals with loss, bullying, caring for those we love, and overcoming our past and our fears.

A definite 4 Star read for me !
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews151 followers
January 19, 2016

This was a sweet book I loved Tanner he was a great guy, “I want to be with you, period. No matter the terms.” Then, as if he couldn’t help himself, he captured her lips again and she lost herself in his arms."
Profile Image for Gaby.
226 reviews
February 28, 2016
I was really excited to read a new book from Karen because I’ve grown so fond of her stories.
His Kind of Cowgirl has a very emotional opening, Claire has been living a good and happy life with her husband and child but sadly the former passes away so her life and that scene was right in the feelings, it was so sad and I think it’s impossible not to cry so be sure to have some tissues for that. Claire could very easily crumble but she has a son who needs her now so she can’t dwell in her grief, she has to figure out what it will be of her and Jonathan from now on. They go live at her father’s ranch but life will not be easy there either since the farm is in a critical situation which has taken a toll on her dad’s health. As if that didn’t seem enough her old boyfriend Tanner is back and she’s scared about him discovering what she hid from her when he decided to leave but also that her old feelings return.

Tanner is back on town hoping to recover from a wound so he can return soon to his career as soon as possible but he’s also here to help Claire’s dad with her farm, something she doesn’t agree with since she wants him as far from them as she can but seeing Claire and her son Jonathan leave Tanner wondering about his life choices, he has never really gotten over Claire and he starts to care deeply for her son.

Claire’s a really strong woman, she’s had to care of her son, her dad and try to do what she thinks it’s best for the far. I sometimes got mad at her because she can be really stubborn and is set to think in a certain way but it all comes down to her being scared of her and mostly her son being hurt so I guess I can’t fault her for that. I loved Tanner, he’s sweet, charming, protective… it’s hard not to fall for him. He has his own demons to face but he can’t deny he has never gotten over Claire, and that he’d like nothing more but for her to give him a second chance.

Since Claire is hiding something from Tanner and both are afraid of their feelings you can expect tension to be between these two, there’ll be misunderstandings but also romance and forgiveness, like I said it’s an emotional read but it’ll leave the reader satisfied and hopefully with a smile on their face like it did with me. If only I’d like for the ending to have a few more paragraphs I needed more romance! Great book!
Profile Image for Michelle Pickett.
Author 10 books901 followers
February 25, 2016

This review was originally posted on Michelle K. Pickett

I’ve read a lot of Karen’s books, and I’ve enjoyed them. But one thing stood out to me as I read His Kind of Cowgirl. Her writing skills have improved dramatically since her first book. This is not to say that her writing skills were poor, they weren’t. On the contrary, they were very good. Which is why the marked difference surprised me. I wouldn’t have thought she COULD improve. She was an excellent author to begin with; she's a superb one now.

I enjoyed His Kind of Cowgirl. I’m not really big on the western romance genre, but the story was more character driven, in my opinion. So the setting, while it worked, wasn’t an issue for me. So if you aren’t a big lover of western romances or the cowgirl/boy themes, don’t let that keep you from reading His Kind of Cowgirl.

The plot was good, and Rock did a fine job presenting it. It’s been done before, but Karen was able to give it enough of her own unique spin to keep it fresh. And, as a former military wife of an airman who served during the Gulf War, I was sucked in, already swallowing back tears before I’d finished reading the prologue.

The characters were well done. Tanner was easy to love, but, like some other readers have mentioned, I had a little difficulty understanding Claire’s thought processes. There were times I wanted to smack her upside the head, but I didn’t dislike her. I think Rock did an excellent job of showing how taxing being a single mom can be, especially with the added responsibility of her father’s health and the family’s farm. Did she make some questionable decisions? Well, yes. But who of us hasn’t?  Was she whiny at times? Again, yes. But who of us has never had a whiny moment? Overall, I think the characters were written well.

Bottom line: this was a quick, emotional, and ultimately satisfying read. As always, Karen can be counted on to write an emotion driven story that leaves the reader with feel-good-happy-thoughts. His Kind of Cowboy is perfect for anyone who is a sucker for second-chance-at-love stories. It didn’t disappoint and I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Judy.
1,705 reviews
February 15, 2016
This is my first Karen Rock book and I enjoyed it!!

Claire and Kevin are married and have a son, named Jonathan. Kevin is in the service as a mechanic, and he's never on the front line. However, he does get killed overseas.

Claire is now a single mom. As tough as it is, she must carry on with life because Jonathan needs her. Her dad's house is up for sale before it gets foreclosed on. Her dad has a stroke so she's taking care of him. She is distracted while driving and winds up in a wreck with none other than her boyfriend from years ago, Tanner. Why in the world is he in town?! He's on the PBR circuit....and famous. He decided fame was more important than her and left. However, there are things he didn't know when he left..like Jonathan. She didn't want to hold him back by telling him she was pregnant, so she let him go.

Tanner left town to bull ride. He's back in town to help Claire's dad save the ranch (although her dad failed to tell her this). He also wants to start a rodeo school on the property and save the ranch. He's in an accident and is surprised at who the other person is.

Now that Tanner is back how is she going to keep her secret? Will her and Tanner finally admit they both messed up in the past and admit they still love each other?

This was such a sweet story! I loved the characters. Claire was a little annoying, but I loved that about her. Tanner was such a good guy!

Review on behalf of Once Upon An Alpha
Profile Image for Sera.
2 reviews
February 9, 2016
I'm a big fan of Karen Rock books and this one did not disappoint. The romance between Clair and Tanner was well written and made my heart melt a little when they finally got together. I especially enjoyed the building relationship between Johnathon and Tanner. It was very sweet to see them bond. Clair could be overly stubborn at times but always with good intentions. I really enjoyed her arc over the story of going from stubborn and anxiety ridden to being willing to compromise and fearless. I noticed some of the usual Harlequin tropes of unnecessary misunderstandings. I don't know why that tired trope needs to be in every single Harlequin book, but whatever sells books. I think that this author did a really great job of making these misunderstandings and the reasons for secrets believable. Like I said, it's a trope as old as time but this novel has managed to integrate it and make it realistic in such a way that I don't mind. Tanner was a good hero. He was so sweet, brave, and supportive. I liked that he grew as a character and also helped Clair to grow as a person. It was a big part of what made their relationship so sweet. Also on a more personal note, as an avid equestrian I really enjoyed all the accuracy in the horse riding and other ranch happenings.
Profile Image for Tammy Sowards-Sanchez.
1,815 reviews8 followers
May 9, 2016
This book was good.

We meet Claire and her son Jonathan. They are waiting for her husband to come back from Afghanistan when her son mentions seeing military men in the front yard. She learns that her husband died and she feels like her life is falling apart again. She moves back to the ranch she grew up on.

A few years pass and she is celebrating her anniversary and comes to terms with the fact that they are losing their home after her father had a stroke she is learning how much they are in debt. She ends up literally running into her Ex the man who broke her heart Tanner and wants nothing to do wit him.

She learns that her father asked him for help and she doesn't want it. She wants him gone but is it because of the secrete she has been keeping for the past 10 years that he is really her son's father? Will she let her past go and move on so they can save the farm or will she let it keeps blinders on an lose out again?

What will happen next? Will they work things out? Will he leave the rodeo for her this time? Is he ready to be a dad?

I received this ARC from the Author for an honest review.
Profile Image for Dee/ bookworm.
1,359 reviews4 followers
January 25, 2016
I didn't really like Claire's character and found her hard to relate to. She was whinny and selfish. The plot was really not surprising to me. She lies and then when its convenient she wants to tell the truth. (Basically after the truth is staring at Tanner in the face.) I feel that given Tanner's childhood and his feelings about it, she should have given him the truth.

I felt like Dani was a "fade into the background" character. We didn't get to know her at all, she had almost no input, I don't know if she was needed for the story. I don't know why Claire's accident and fear are really never explained in detail but glided over, and how after 10 years she is all of the sudden ready to get back on the horse? I don't know a lot about horses, but I would think for most this would take more than one time….

I did like Tanner, he was really good with Jon.

Good book, for me not a book I would read over and over.
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review from NetGalley.
5 reviews
February 9, 2016
This romance made me cry, laugh, cheer and swoon. I love second chance love stories and Karen Rock did a great job making me root for Claire, a single mom, and Tanner, an injured rodeo bull-riding champion facing the "what's next" question about his future. The opening was a tear-jerker and already had me emotional and that didn't stop as I read this book in just a few days. I couldn't put it down. I wanted Claire and Tanner to get it right this time and the ending was beautiful. I cried again. I also loved Jonathan, Claire and Tanner's secret child. Although I understood why Claire kept him a secret as she didn't want to force Tanner to give up his dreams and settle down with her, I felt bad for Tanner that he missed out on the early years with his son. However, their times together in this book were touching and real and I felt like they were going to make up for this time. I highly recommend this book as an uplifting, sweet romance that reinforces the values of family and everlasting love.
Profile Image for Lynn Brooks.
3,094 reviews32 followers
March 4, 2016
4 1/2 STARS!

Such an emotional book! I cried for her loss, I felt sorry for her having so much thrust on her at once, I felt angry at her attitude towards Tanner, and most of all, I felt joy that they were all getting a second chance.

Claire Shelton has moved back to her Dad's place to get things settled after he suffers a stroke. She's discovered that he's been hiding mountains of debt from her and the only option is to sell to get out from under it.

Tanner Hayes broke Claire's heart 10 years ago to follow the rodeo. She's very unhappy to see him because she's afraid he'll find out her secret ... and once she hears the plans he and her father have to save the place, she's even more angry.

Will Tanner be able to heal her broken heart and earn a second chance with her? And when he finds out what she's been keeping secret all these years, will he be able to forgive her?
700 reviews5 followers
February 6, 2016
Claire and Tanner were in love. Then an accident happened to Claire while riding a horse. Tanner wanted to be a famous bull rider and left Claire to tour the rodeo circuit.
Ten years later, Claire's husband is killed in action. She and her 9 year old son, Jonathan, move to her family ranch to help her father. When problems arrise, Tanner gets a call to return to the ranch to help. Can they work together to save the ranch?
I enjoyed reading His Kind of Cowgirl. I understood the fear Claire was living with. She's a strong character. I just loved Tanner. The way he stepped up and challenged Claire and Jon. Also a strong character. I was able to emotionally attach to them.
The writing was great. It was told in both Claire and Tanner's perspectives.
Reviewed on behalf of Once Upon an Alpha.
Profile Image for Stacy.
1,013 reviews19 followers
February 8, 2016
ARC provided by NetGalley for honest review.

This is the first book I have read by Karen Rock and I enjoyed this book.

There is something about a good cowboy romance that just makes me happy. This book was a quick easy read. I like how the author depicted the character, however I wasn't a fan of Clair. I never understood why authors feel the need to have the women keep something important from the man. I know that they do it for the plot, but man it drives me crazy. Tanner, man I love that name, just the description of him drives me crazy. He sounds like the ideal man if your into the spurs and rodeo thing.

This book is just what I needed to clean my book palate.
1,122 reviews7 followers
January 18, 2016
His Kind of Cowgirl has all a western romance promises - a handsome cowboy, a beautiful, but damaged heroine, wide open Montana spaces, a ranch that is under the threat of foreclosure, a neighbor who wants the ranch for a song, and an old love that has never, truly died. There are times when a romance is just the escape I want/need. This book did it it for me.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
2,613 reviews4 followers
January 23, 2016
I pretty much wanted to smack Claire the entire time. She lied, didn't want help to save the ranch, and overall was a brat. Tanner was a fantastic hero. I really enjoyed his half of the story.
Profile Image for Kathy Jo.
726 reviews122 followers
March 14, 2016
Ten years ago, Claire Shelton gave Tanner Hayes an ultimatum... her or the rodeo. She was heartbroken when he chose the rodeo. But Tanner knew he needed to make something of himself and prove their small town wrong if he was ever going to be worthy of Claire. Little did he know the heartaches and hard decisions that would come from that one choice.

Fast forward to present day and Claire's life is far from easy. She's a widow, a single mother, a caregiver for her father who recently had a stroke and is dealing with her father's ranch that is about to be foreclosed on. She does not expect Tanner to come crashing back into her life... literally.

And now with her deepest, darkest secret on the verge of being discovered, she would give anything for Tanner to disappear again. Little did she know that fate had something else in store for these two. Sit back and hold on tight as Claire and Tanner embark on a journey filled with adventure, family, self discovery, forgiveness and most importantly love.

Tanner was such an amazing hero! He had a tough life growing up but was determined to be a better person than either of his parents were. I loved the way he interacted with little Jonathan. He was so good with him and for him. I loved watching these two develop their relationship. Any scene with the two of them had me grinning from ear to ear. Absolutely adored them! :)

Sadly, I had a hard time connecting with Claire. I have to admit I spent a lot of the book disliking her. I get that she was trying to protect everyone around her because of her fears but I think she went about it the wrong way. She was doing more harm to others than good to herself. I wish that her secret would've come out a bit sooner than it did. I was really hoping to see Claire and Tanner work things out more and maybe see her take the initiative rather than Tanner jumping in and fixing it like he did. I personally think she got off too easy.

I also would have loved to see an epilogue. Maybe a year later to see how everyone was settling in. :)

This was my very first book by Karen Rock and I have already added other books of hers to my list Any author who can evoke so many feelings in just one book is definitely one to keep an eye on. I can't wait to read more by her.

And now for my casting... what do you think? ;)

description
Profile Image for Jen.
586 reviews14 followers
February 29, 2016
Claire's heart has been broken more than once, and that has made her extremely cautious, especially when it comes to her son. With her family's ranch and her father's health on the line, she wants to take the easy way out and sell. Tanner left town to pursue his rodeo dreams thinking that success would make Claire want to accept his career, but instead it kept them apart for 10 years. Now he's back in town to help her father keep the ranch and help secure a future for himself, but once he sees Claire again, his plans start to change. I loved the way he instantly bonds with Jonathan, Claire's son, even though he doesn't know that he is his son as well. Tanner knows he wants a second chance with the only woman he's ever loved, but Claire does not make it easy for him. She is constantly putting barriers up, both with his plans for the ranch and for their relationship. Sweet and emotional second chance romance, I enjoyed it from start to finish, with the exception of Claire's constant worrying/complaining.

I received an ARC via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. I was not compensated for this review, all conclusions are my own.
Profile Image for Debbie.
902 reviews166 followers
January 28, 2016
2.75 - 3 stars

I haven't read Karen Rock books before but this one caught my eye so I requested it from Netgalley. I waffled over what to rate it because on one hand I love the hero Tanner but on the other hand I despised Claire.

Being a single mom I tend to be a sap over single mom heroines but I was surprised that this author managed to make be really dislike Claire. She was whiny, always feeling sorry for herself and spun every situation to suit her view. At first I thought Tanner had run off and left her with the baby but then we find out he never knew about the baby. She tries to justify not telling him by saying she didn't want to force him to stay with her but honestly other than her own fear I don't see why she couldn't have followed him when he wanted to leave town. At points Claire also gets angry over the way some townspeople always looked down upon Tanner and yet she does the exact same thing. She really got me mad when she started pointing out all the reasons Tanner would be a bad father despite everything he did that proved he would be a wonderful father. She was the one smothering their son, letting him run away from difficult situations (just like she does) and then when their son rebels because he's been so sheltered she still lashes out and blames Tanner. She makes some small steps towards redemption at the end but it was too little, too late for me. She's one lucky woman that Tanner is such a sweetheart.

Now in contrast I adore Tanner! He has his own set of insecurities wanting to prove himself to those who looked down on him but he still manages to be charming and doesn't lash out like many others would. I expected him to be more torn up and angry about possibly having to leave the rodeo behind but he even handles those choices with a maturity and calmness I would have expected more from Claire. I honestly don't understand his attraction to grown up Claire. He talks about how brave she is but in every situation she's placed in she tries to take the easy route. Even when she does stand up to him and try to thwart his plans it's because she's trying to keep herself and her family in this protective bubble because she's afraid to live life.

So in the end I settled on 3 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed Tanner's half of the book which saved this from being the 2 stars that Claire's character dragged the book down to.
Profile Image for Becky.
3,059 reviews124 followers
February 29, 2016
His Kind of Cowgirl is a very sweet second chance romance/secret baby story. It had some frustrating moments and at least one scene that felt fairly forced, but overall I really enjoyed this story. Plus--we've got a widow who found love again (or is it still?) without having to find out some horrible truth about her first husband that negates all their years of happiness--whoo hooo! Thank you, Karen Rock :)

Ultimately, I liked both Claire and Tanner. Claire made it a bit tough at times--her past experiences have made her cautious, and she isn't willing to give Tanner even a millimeter of a chance at first. She's sure she knows what's right--for her father, for the ranch, and for her son--and she doesn't even want to entertain any other ideas. Especially if they come from the ex that chose the rodeo over her ten years before. I got where she was coming from, and though I didn't always agree with her, I understood why she was thinking and doing the things she did. What drove me crazy, though, was how gosh darn long it took her to tell Tanner the truth--and the whole time, she knew it was wrong to have waited so long, which made it doubly frustrating.

Tanner was an awesome hero--confident, great with kids, supportive of Claire when she needed it most--though he too had his own issues to work through. His biggest one was needing to figure out who he could be if he wasn't a big rodeo star anymore. In the beginning of the book, he couldn't see himself living any other life and was practically counting the days until he could go back. He originally comes to the ranch to help himself, but ends up staying to help others...and finding more than he ever imagined was possible in the process.

Jonathan, their son, was all kinds of adorable. He and his grandfather (Claire's dad) actually had my favorite quote from the book:
"I'm good at being annoying. It's one of my superpowers" (Jonathan)

"Never works on me. Always like having you around. Guess that means I'm your kryptonite." (Martin)
All kinds of adorbs right there!

So, yeah... I liked this one. Doesn't mean I didn't want to sit various characters down at times for a talkin' to, but in the end it left me with warm, feel-good fuzzies and a smile on my face.

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for E..
1,905 reviews19 followers
July 11, 2016

“His Kind of Cowgirl” by Karen Rock follows Claire Shelton as she meets and overcomes the blows that life hands her, including widowhood, a father incapacitated by a stroke, and the threat of losing the family ranch. Having bullrider Tanner Hayes forced back into her life adds to her stress, and the secrets swirling around them only complicate matters even further. Tanner is destined to walk out Claire’s life again, but this time she refuses to let it destroy her and her family. The problem is that her goals may be worlds apart from what Tanner is determined to achieve.

This contemporary romance with a western twist starts with a tear-jerker of a prologue that grabbed my emotions and entangled me in the lives of Claire and her adorable son as they learn to deal with multiple challenges. Then I struggled to form a connection to Tanner after that impactful opening and learning of the past history between them and unresolved issues that made Claire’s distrust understandable but frustrating. Things piled on until I was almost suffocating under the burdens that all of them were struggling with and frustrated at the lack of transparency and reluctance to be honest with each other. I am impressed that the author was able to create such realistic characters and invest me in their lives so much that I found myself fussing at them, but I was relieved that things eventually work out, even if it wasn't quite as smoothly as I would have liked. This was an intriguing perspective on the challenges of a condition such as ADHD and its impact on lives and the importance of finding a way to cope. Kudos to the author for sharing both her story and Tanner and Jonathan’s challenges.

A copy of this title was provided to me for review, and a version of this review was submitted to Night Owl Reviews
Displaying 1 - 30 of 63 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.