Jump to ratings and reviews

Snakes & Stones

A myth that has withstood the sands of time tells of a beautiful woman turned hideous beast.

Some say she was punished because of the lust of a man. Others believe it was her own beauty that brought on the curse.

However, there are some who believe her curse was actually a gift.

Hear the story of Medusa as told by six popular young adult authors:

When I Fell by Christina Benjamin
Medusa by Kaitlin Bevis
The Case of the Missing Soul by Susan Burdorf
Lies of the Beholder by Erin Hayes
Medusa’s Curse by Suzanna Lynn
Favor of the Gods by Ali Winters

Brought to you in one anthology...
Snakes & Stones

***All proceeds from the sale of this anthology will go to LoveIsRespect.***

300 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Suzanna Lynn

19 books110 followers
Author Suzanna Lynn is a full-time mom of three beautiful, energetic children and spends her days with them and her husband in a small town nestled in the deep rolling hills of Missouri.

Growing up in the Ozarks, as a child Suzanna spent her days wandering the fields and woods surrounding her home. While most children avoided the dark corners of the woods, she sought it out, imagining them to be filled with fairies, dragons and all number of creatures.

Having not lost her childhood imagination, Suzanna has written numerous poems, songs and short stories that won various awards in high school and college.

However, in 2014 she decided to stop wishing she could publish a book and made the dream a reality when she released The Bed Wife.

That first novella gave birth to two more books, completing the series, and stirred the embers of a new five-book series called The Untold Stories, which is currently in the works.

When she's not busy writing or spending time with her family, Suzanna loves to draw and paint, as well as scrapbook. She also has been known to volunteer with her children's school, the local Ladies Auxiliary veterans group and even the local zoo!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
1 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Kelly Stepp.
361 reviews9 followers
May 23, 2017
Snakes and Stones Anthology
I'm a huge Greek mythology fan and this anthology didn't disappoint! I loved seeing how six very talented authors created six very different tales based on one single character, Medusa. These stories drew me in with their tales of love, friendship, trauma, mystery, hope, and perseverance. Their message that the power to overcome trauma, betrayal, insecurity, and bullying lies within yourself is much needed and a great reminder to the YA audience. I'd highly recommend this for anyone that loves to read!

When I Fell-Christina Benjamin
This was a great story that pulled at the heartstrings and ended with a bit of a cliffhanger (great for sequel potential). I loved how the concept of family was challenged and how the characters demonstrated this to Calista. It was well written and I'd love to know what happens next.

Medusa- Kaitlin Bevis
Absolutely loved this heart-wrenching and poetic story of betrayal, loss, and unexpected friendship. I also admired how the main character found power and hope in the midst of a bleak situation. It reinforces that a “monster” is what you do, not how you appear. A very unique spin that offers an alternative perspective on the classical Medusa tale.

The Case of the Missing Soul- Susan Burdorf
An intriguing steampunk detective story featuring a modernized Medusa. It was well written but since it's not really my genre of choice, I had a harder time connecting to it. I did like that it was unpredictable with several twists and featured Medusa's abilities as more of a benefit rather than a curse.

Lies of the Beholder- Erin Hayes
This story was probably the most contemporary and reality-based story of them all. It is applicable to everyone that uses digital media to connect and also shed some light on cyberbullying. However, it was pretty intense at times and felt a little unbalanced in favor of the bully for most of the story. It did speak well to the seen and unseen effects of cyberbullying and gave insight into some of the personal and social reasons one might engage in it.

Medusa's Curse- Suzanna Lynn
What if Medusa's curse wasn't a curse at all? This is a beautiful story with an interesting spin on Medusa's character. It focuses on Medusa overcoming trials and trauma to become stronger and to learn to use her “curse” for good. The ending was very powerful and moving and solidified this as one of my favorite stories of the anthology.

Favor of the Gods- Ali Winters
Mean Girls meets She's All That Greek style. It was a very sweet story with a fun switch-up in the Medusa-Perseus relationship. The author did a wonderful job drawing me into the story, so that I was experiencing it as Medusa did. There was strife, bullying, friendship, comedic relief, and ultimately a satisfying ending.
Profile Image for Shayay.
2,293 reviews40 followers
June 2, 2017
So far really enjoying this boxset! I've read Ali Winters' story, Favor of the Gods, and Christina Benjamin's When I Fell! Each of the stories in this boxset, multiple authors each write a story that has to do with the story of Medusa, they are all short stories, and the 2 I've read so far lean towards YA.
In When I Fell, Medusa's daughter is held prisoner by her mother because she is too good, the daughter escapes and tries to live as a normal teenager. This one was sweet, and I was really hoping everything would work out for Calista, she has had a difficult time with her mother, and just wants to find acceptance. Calista has a wonderful adoptive family, great friends, and a perfect boyfriend, but someone is set on bringing her back to her mother.
In Favor of the Gods, Medusa is a teenage gorgon in a high school with other teenage mythological people, she pisses off mean girl, Andromeda, when she talks with Perseus, so Andromeda makes it her mission to make Medusa's life Hell. I liked Medusa, and it was sad how she was treated! I would've liked for her to stand-up more for herself! The story has some sweet moments, and I would've liked for there to be more of an ending, but the story presented was interesting, and I enjoyed it!

Looking forward to reading the rest of the stories! I'll update the review as I finish!
Profile Image for Michelle Fritz PA.
1,095 reviews79 followers
December 11, 2017
Favor of the Gods Review

Loved this twist on a classic myth! Ali Winters posses such a magical and inventive way with her words. Her stories capture you and take you hostage ♡ She's absolutely gifted and every story is such a beautiful present that gets more enthralling the more you open it ♡♡♡♡ Reading her novella about Medusa makes you feel for a creature that I never thought to feel empathy for before ♡ This is the ultimate tale of understanding a monster that most shy away from spending their reading time upon. The whole twist of our hero saving the day was such a creative turn of events!! For a whole new and refreshing view on Medusa, make sure you read this!
Profile Image for Riley K. .
472 reviews8 followers
June 4, 2017
Snakes and Stones Anthology-
This anthology was amazing. Every single story put a different spin on Greek mythology. Each author made me fall in love with their stories and the characters. Each tale of Medusa was unique and had its own voice, and style.
No story is alike which is amazing. All of the stories were my favorite. I will recommend this story to others. I give it 5/5 Platypires.
Profile Image for Ashley Cestra.
955 reviews21 followers
August 2, 2017
ohhhhhh Medusa, where do I start? Suzanna Lynn had a great take on Medusa's story. I loved everything she brought to the character and really enjoyed reading. This is not a new author for me, in fact I love her take on the classic fairyfales so I have been slowly reading all her work.
August 6, 2017
I'm a big fan of mythology and Snakes and Stones did not disappoint. I really enjoyed reading all the different authors takes on Medusa. I highly recommend this book especially if you enjoy mythology. It's always great to find new authors that you can fall in love with.
Profile Image for Felicia Semmler .
366 reviews
October 18, 2018
Lies of the Beholder by Erin Hayes
This one hit the creep factor right on the head! I loved how fast paced it was but kept you wondering and guess. Great fun read.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.