Jump to ratings and reviews

Hellboy Omnibus #2

Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places

Hellboy's complete story is presented for the first time in chronological order for the ultimate reading experience.

This 416-page volume covers Hellboy's adventures from 1998 to 2005, reprinting Conqueror Worm, Strange Places, Into the Silent Sea, and "The Right Hand of Doom, "Box Full of Evil," and "Being Human" from The Right Hand of Doom and B.P.R.D. Being Human.

Hellboy loses faith in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense when they strap a bomb to one of his fellow not-quite-human agents. He gets answers about his destiny, like it or not, in over 300 pages of comics mostly drawn by Mignola, featuring award-winning guests Gary Gianni and Richard Corben.

The four volume Hellboy Omnibus series along with the two volumes of The Complete Short Stories collect all of Mignola's award-winning Hellboy stories in chronological order for a definitive reading experience.

416 pages, Paperback

First published July 3, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mike Mignola

1,307 books2,191 followers
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began working for Marvel Comics, first as a (very terrible) inker and then as an artist on comics like Rocket Raccoon, Alpha Flight and The Hulk. By the late 80s he had begun to develop his signature style (thin lines, clunky shapes and lots of black) and moved onto higher profile commercial projects like Cosmic Odyssey (1988) and Gotham by Gaslight (1989) for DC Comics, and the not-so-commercial Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (1990) for Marvel. In 1992, he drew the comic book adaptation of the film Bram Stoker's Dracula for Topps Comics.

In 1993, Mike moved to Dark Horse comics and created Hellboy, a half-demon occult detective who may or may not be the Beast of the Apocalypse. While the first story line (Seed of Destruction, 1994) was co-written by John Byrne, Mike has continued writing the series himself. There are, at this moment, 13 Hellboy graphic novel collections (with more on the way), several spin-off titles (B.P.R.D., Lobster Johnson, Abe Sapien and Witchfinder), three anthologies of prose stories, several novels, two animated films and two live-action films staring Ron Perlman. Hellboy has earned numerous comic industry awards and is published in a great many countries.

Mike also created the award-winning comic book The Amazing Screw-on Head and has co-written two novels (Baltimore, or, the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire and Joe Golem and the Drowning City) with best-selling author Christopher Golden.

Mike worked (very briefly) with Francis Ford Coppola on his film Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), was a production designer on the Disney film Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) and was visual consultant to director Guillermo del Toro on Blade II (2002), Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). He lives somewhere in Southern California with his wife, daughter, a lot of books and a cat.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 128 reviews
Profile Image for Baba.
3,504 reviews736 followers
April 3, 2022
This second omnibus of presumably the key stories of this cult classic reality of Hellboy captures his last days with B.R.P.D., what he did next and more run-ins from his past, as well as more mostly backward looking reality building. Although I still have little positive to say about the art; as, other than Hellboy I struggle to recognise any character until they're named, the world building although pretty banal - from ancient times, first evil, first man, lots of tentacles and monsters blah blah blah, at least it all is growing into parts of a discernible whole.

I get why a lot of fanboys love this, who probably also like H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore's horror work etc, all of which I am no fan of. For me there's a distinct lack of any real characterisation even for Hellboy himself and certainly no decent long-form story telling, although I do concede that the work is built up over lots of limited run serials and short stories which may make it hard to work on these areas and keep new readers invested. Only two more omnibus volumes to go, and now I am truly wondering if I'll bother reading the B.P.R.D. books? 5 out of 12.

2022 read
Profile Image for Chad.
7,306 reviews851 followers
November 25, 2021
This second omnibus has some of Hellboy's best stories. Box Full of Evil and The Third Wish are 2 of Mignola's better shorter length stories. The Bog Roosh is pretty fantastic in her own way. Conqueror Worm may be my favorite of Hellboy's longer tales. I love seeing Hellboy and Roger team up. It has big ramifications and introduces Lobster Johnson. Plus, Nazis and the elder gods, what's not to like? I'm really enjoying rereading these Hellboy stories in chronological order. It makes the overall story so much clearer.
Profile Image for Lashaan Balasingam.
1,324 reviews4,620 followers
September 5, 2018
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

It’s a cruel world for Hellboy. He lives like a human and yet is treated like a monster. Come to think of it, it’s actually something you could easily draw parallels to regarding some unfortunate folks in our society, but Hellboy’s occult and paranormal universe makes his particular situation far more distressful. Imagine being constantly drawn to an unwritten and universal rule condemning you to a life where you are the key to the end of times. Heavy, right? At least having that accursed right hand still has some benefits, like being able to pummel those relentless creatures back into the darkness where they crawled out from. Now, the real question is: How will Hellboy deal with the burden he shoulders? Clearly ignoring it hasn’t been very fruitful lately.

Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places collects stories printed from 1998 to 2005, including Conqueror Worm, Strange Places, Into the Silent Sea, and “The Right Hand of Doom“, “Box Full of Evil,” and “Being Human” from The Right Hand of Doom and B.P.R.D. Being Human. The beauty of these new paperback omnibus editions is how the stories are presented in a chronological order, making it so, so much easier for readers to follow Hellboy in his quest of self-discovery. For anyone who has ever tried to understand where to start with his stories, Hellboy isn’t the easiest series to follow with multiple series within the same lore (i.e. Hellboy, B.R.P.D., etc.). These omnibuses easily levels the playing field for readers by giving them the unique and equal opportunity to understand what’s up without being lost in the process.

What mostly occurs in this volume is Hellboy’s re-evaluation of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense and their methodology. On one of the missions he was sent on, alongside a new member of the team who was previously encountered in the past, Hellboy was presented with an ethically questionable dilemma that made him question the integrity of the organization. Coupled with this issue, he also runs into more dark and sketchy figures who strongly believe in Hellboy’s role in life (the tool to the end of the world). This throws our friendly and feisty red fellow into all sorts of direction, and one that will bring him to be in exile and explore the sea. If there’s one thing he’s never stopped doing, it’s exploring both the real-world and the paranormal. The things he sees and the things he lives through are truly astonishing.

Most of the stories tend to follow one another and make slight references to past events, or even short stories collected in the short stories omnibuses. I found this omnibus to be even more coherent and a lot easier to follow, even with more world-building going on. There are details regarding Hellboy and his destiny that are better delivered throughout the stories, and it’s nice to see how Mike Mignola blends the whole paranormal and supernatural lore within the narrative. Hellboy however continues to be himself with his snappy one-liners, brutal fist fights and honourable and caring (or care-free?)personality.

The artwork continues in the same vein as the first omnibus, with a more picturesque and sequential style (as in, more choppy between panels), and mostly focuses on the dialogues and the hard-hitting shadow-heavy drawings. Your imagination is sure to be stimulated by the Lovecraftian universe. What was truly refreshing however is the change in style for certain stories, especially with Gary Gianni and Richard Corben as the artists. The style is much more modern and detailed, which really helps in admiring the character even more through different lenses. I can clearly state that there’s plenty to appreciate with Hellboy, both with the character and the world.

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookidote.com/
____________________________
Poor guy just can't catch a break. Destiny sure can be a b*tch.

P.S. Full review to come.

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookidote.com/
Profile Image for Jamie Stewart.
Author 10 books156 followers
May 6, 2022
Strange Places offers up some strange tales that are just as brilliantly told and illustrated as anything in this series.

I think I love the stories of Hellboy at sea the most in the entire series so far.
Profile Image for RG.
3,092 reviews
October 3, 2018
I loved this!! Thr artist changed in a couple of stories but the original art is still the best. Some of the stories because trippy and a little wacky at stages but its still awesome. Highly recommend this
Profile Image for Andrew.
2,115 reviews
July 15, 2018
So here is the second part of the complete Hellboy series - The entire collection of comics / graphic novels are being released in omnibus editions and I am finally getting a chance to read them all (and catch up on the whole story) without having to spend an absolute fortune on the library editions (although they do look amazing).

So what can I say without giving spoilers well the problem there is not a lot - as these are the sequential adventures (there are two volumes of one shots and specials which although may not fit in to the complete time line do still make up parts of his adventures). So what I can say is that they have been printed in a sympathetic manner. For example you still get the pages of designs and preliminary sketches along where necessary the authors notes when references to previous stories where needed (which I suspect as the series carries on will start to become more and more common).

The stories have also been published in their original styles and formats - which means that you can see when an artist changes. For me this helps date the stories as you are looking at a lot of books across this series and although the series does have a definitive end (for those who have read it you know what I mean) however I get the feeling that with the rebooting of the franchise with a soon to be new movie it will be interesting what is "kept" and what is not.

For me this has been a series I have been looking forward to for some time. The stylised artwork and often creative storylines have always caught my attention and imagination. I just hope they decide to do something similar with Abe.
Profile Image for Sud666.
1,895 reviews156 followers
January 12, 2019
Hellboy omnibus Vol 2 was superb. A great collection of Hellboy stories and some great art to boot.

This omnibus collects:
The Right Hand of Doom
Box Full of Evil
Being Human
Conqueror Worm
The Third Wish
The Island
Into the Silent Sea

My favorite was the Conqueror Worm, a story I'd often heard about. It is a great story and one of my favorite Hellboy stories. Throughout these well drawn tales, I was struck by the quality of the prose. Mignola's use of Poe and other famous authors gives the already good story a touch of class. I appreciate a well written story and quality prose/dialogue. Hellboy "Strange Places" certainly scores on all fronts. I highly recommend this wonderful comic. I would also like to tip my hat to the art of the "Into the Silent Sea". It was excellent. A must have for any Hellboy fan.
Profile Image for Richard.
972 reviews347 followers
September 9, 2020
This second omnibus volume of Mignola's Hellboy series is a pretty noticeable step-up from the first. It's better written and more engaging than the first. While it still is compiled of several short stories, it is anchored by the longest story, "The Conqueror Worm," which is the best tale of the bunch and the main one that really pushes the overarching story forward. This touches more on Hellboy's mythical destiny and the nature of his Right Hand of Doom, and it also sets up what we'll be seeing in the future with the Ogdru Jahad. I'm still a little lost with what's happening but that might also be due to the fact that the stories are constantly referring to other tales that are included in the Hellboy story collections, so it seems like those should be read first. I'll be jumping to those next and then really following the reading order.

While the monologuing is still a bit much and really only serve as ineffective exposition dumps, it's a great improvement from the first book. And although I do enjoy Mignola's moody art, I didn't realize how rushed his art feels at times (so many of the smaller panels seem really unfinished) until I read the last story: "Into the Silent Sea." The pencilling here by Gary Gianni is so much more detailed and it's colored by the same stellar colorist, Dave Stewart. Gianni draws circles around Mignola!
Profile Image for Shane Perry.
454 reviews2 followers
October 14, 2018
I liked the first half of this Omnibus quite a bit. The stories were exciting and I loved the relationship between Roger and Hellboy. The second half of this was...okay. Some parts were entertaining, but I found most of the second half to either be a bit boring or have too much exposition.
Profile Image for Lukas Sumper.
115 reviews25 followers
April 21, 2019
It started out really strong, with some exciting missions for fellow BPRD members and their newest addition (which I really am a big fan of). And then around the middle of the book, it just all falls apart when Hellboy decides to take a certain journey to somewhere.

Although still interesting, reciting some rhymes and poems overlaying whats happening to hellboy doesn't help the fact that Mignola fell into the trap of repetition. What allready was teased in Volume 1 keeps showing up here without an end. I can't help but notice the constant reminding of what hellboy is supposed to be, or him being feared for that reason by beings he encounters. On a sidenote he also resolves his problems in a very brute and simple manner most of the times, which doesn't add to the overall picture. Instead of keeping it somewhat mysterious he learns more and more about himself till the most slowest thinkers upon the readers realise whats going on, I am sure everyone got a hunch anyway in the beginning of the book.

Its still a entertaining read especially the imagination and creativity that went into the art, I love the creature design but I also wished there was more effort in the writing. Which confuses me a bit because a lot of people said this series keeps getting better. I hope that holds true for the next volume.

I was more the fan of the first omnibus, giving this a 4 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Peter Derk.
Author 24 books329 followers
October 8, 2019
This is such a great series that is worth reading straight through. Why hasn't this made a great movie yet?

The three (live action) Hellboy movies are okay. Well, two are. I haven't seen the newest one. Not for any particular reason, it just didn't happen for me. I don't even mind the recasting. Ron Perlman was awesome, although it felt like cheating. All they had to do was sunburn the guy and bam, he's Hellboy.

I don't really care about the Hellboy movies because we have the comics. And the comics are great. Maybe Hellboy is meant to be a comic, and the ability to translate something to film doesn't mean a whole lot. Plenty of good books have been turned into terrible movies, and sometimes I think it's because the book was the fully realized version of the story. It didn't need the movie to jump in because the definitive version already existed in the form of a book.

But what the hell do I know? I'm the idiot who dropped his water bottle, caught it against his body, and in doing so hit himself HARD in the nuts.
Profile Image for Britton.
351 reviews58 followers
Read
June 11, 2021
In loving memory of Richard Corben (1938-2020)

There's a few authors in comics that bring a literary quality to their work. I don't use the word literary lightly of course, certainly there are comics that aren't meant to be literary that I've found that are just as enjoyable, beautiful, and thoughtful as any other piece of work that I've encountered. But I've found that when comic authors want to test themselves, to see what the comics medium can do, that brings a certain spice to a comic that can be intoxicating and makes you desperate to see

I read through such authors like Spiegalman, Clowes, and DeConnick. But I found them all wanting, desperately attempting to be profound, new, and unique, but as such people like The Wachowskis and Zack Snyder have proven, nothing kills a story more than a profound lack of self awareness. But there are the authors out there who manage to bring a literary quality to their work, and it's often few and far between. Alan Moore is an easy example, and one that's often brought up. His knack for toying with the comics medium itself, playing with its possibilities, and pushing it as hard as he can to its fullest potential with such seminal works as Watchmen, V For Vendetta, and his Swamp Thing run continues to awe and mystify people, myself included, to this day. Neil Gaiman is another example, though a bit more overt than Alan in his literary aspirations, he somehow manages to take the fantastical worlds of Carroll and Lovecraft and manages to make a world in The Sandman that's both inviting and disturbing at the same time.

There's also the authors who are reminiscent of other authors who we love. Grant Morrison's flair for oddities is reminiscent of SF's mad prophet Philip K. Dick, though I don't always find that he manages to ground the insanity of his works as well as Phil could, Will Eisner brings me back to Charles Dickens, though while his wit and sharp social critique may harken to Dickens, I found him to be more melancholic in his irony than Dickens was, such figures like Brubaker and Azzerello seem to be emulating the pulp crime fiction of Chandler and Hammett from the 30s and giving the genre a more modern bent.

But Mignola is from a different school of thought, he comes from the pulp tradition of weird fiction, and all of its idiosyncrasies. Many are quick to point out the influence of Lovecraft on his signature series Hellboy, but I find that a lot of people seem to forget (or even worse not even notice) the influence of Robert E. Howard. Hellboy, much like Conan or Solomon Kane, is a character who wanders about, finds himself in strange and unusual situations, and is forced to get out of it using his wits and ability to think on his feet. He is not quite as driven as Kane or Conan, nor as enigmatic, he feels more human and relatable, despite his demonic status. But there is that sense of wandering and aimlessness and existential angst that one might find in a Howard story to be found frequently in Hellboy, we see Mignola somehow manage to combine the alien strangeness of Lovecraft with the verve and energy of Howard to create something that feels new and fresh to the genre.

Mignola, much like Gaiman, also proves to be one of the most allusive voices in comics. His references and nods to classic folklore, mythology, conspiracy theories, and tall tales tend to give his stories a noted subtext to think about while he subverts and plays with mythological concepts and conspiracies, like with Gaiman. The stories in this volume vary in tone, some are funny, some are creepy, some are tragic and melancholic, some are funny and light hearted, but they're all connected in terms of tone, atmosphere, and mood.

Unfortunately, the second half of the book begins to falter with clunky pacing and a reliance on expository dialogue, which later leads into an entire story where the world is given a large, tidy explanation on how it works, which disappointed me quite a bit. I must agree with Keely's critique that nothing kills a strange, unusual world more than nicely, neatly explaining it to the reader. Mignola would later admit his dissatisfaction with the story in question, stating that he wanted to give an explanation before the Del Toro movies could beat him to it. Sadly, I don't find that it's aged very well and it makes the world seem dull and inflated, rather than mysterious and enticing.

Mignola's art continues to be excellent however, his unusual approach to his art continues to be both intriguing and endearing. It's a rather perfect fit to the tone of Hellboy and it brings an idiosyncratic charm to the series, he utilizes the dynamic action sequences of Kirby with the strange, yet oddly charming anatomy of Ditko, with a tint of the evocative noir of German Expressionism to create a wholly unique vision that is Hellboy. Gianni's art is also excellent as usual in In The Silent Sea (covered here) and is a rather inspired choice for Hellboy, as he made his name illustrating characters that inspired Mignola in his creation of Hellboy. He brings his sketchy, yet charming style to Hellboy, while also staying true to the classic Hellboy style. Corben's art also managed to stand out, while I have issues with his anatomy and look of his style, it was those very things that sometimes work out in his favor, creating an off-putting, yet strangely captivating look that manages to creep me out, which is a rare feat in comics indeed.

All in all, Hellboy continues to be a delight, despite some bumps in the road along the way. Much like a fine glass of wine, it continues to age as well as I continue to think about it...often pleasantly.
Profile Image for Zachary Granat.
64 reviews11 followers
August 31, 2022
The aptly titled Strange Places sees both Hellboy the character and Hellboy the comic journey into uncharted territory. Abandoning the B.P.R.D., Hellboy embarks on a phantasmagorical vision quest across Africa and the oceans around it. No more is Hellboy a homage to pulp; now, it is a full-blown mythological epic.

Though, that’s not until the second half. For the first, a new character dropped into the previous volume, Roger the Homunculus, is fleshed-out (only figuratively) and incorporated into the main cast. His camaraderie with Hellboy brings a touch of depth to the sullen loner, so I was sad to see him go as soon as he did—especially because he was the only thing keeping the comic grounded.

Untethered from the B.P.R.D. and its procedural plotlines, Hellboy is lost in a series of deceitful dreamscapes. Mignola trades the tropes of the pulps for the tropes of ancient myths, which he emulates with impressive authenticity. But he does so without trading in or at least enhancing the character of Hellboy, who remains as stoic as ever.

Yet the quality of the art is also unchanged, even as its style is altered by the arrival of guest artists. They provide in abundance the element that has until now been purposefully absent from Mignola’s illustrations: texture. I appreciate the novelty, although I already liked Hellboy just the way it was.

Not until the next omnibus does Hellboy return to dry land. But he does not fully leave the terra incognita he explores here, and his comic, for better and for worse, does not abandon the storytelling tricks it has picked up.
142 reviews1 follower
February 7, 2019
I'm probably going to upgrade some of the volumes to five stars after a reread. I'm currently giving them all a cautious four stars because I find it hard to rate the collections separately. They all kind of blend into each other in my mind at the moment. There's definitely parts that I'd rate five stars in each of them, but I'll have to think a bit more about which of them are five stars as a whole. (I may even end up rating the whole series five stars, eventually, who knows...)

Not that these silly star ratings matter all that much. This isn't how we should judge books.
Profile Image for Thomas.
1,901 reviews55 followers
November 4, 2021
Hellboy is the perfect kind of character on which to hang a bunch of horror stories. He's so off-the-wall and demon-adjacent that a lot of weird, dark shit can happen around him without you having to suspend your disbelief any further. When I was reading the first omnibus and starting to get a handle on the series, it kept reminding me of another series I had read, but I couldn't put my finger on it. This time, it clicked: Swamp Thing.

And if that's not high praise for Hellboy, then I don't know what else to tell you.
September 22, 2018
Anung Un Rama
Aight I am neck deep in Hellboy right now and I am halfway done all the omnibuses if you don’t count the short story ones. I once again really enjoyed myself reading this book. Not quite as much as the last one but very very close.

The Right Hand of Doom was not a great way to start this omnibus. It is if you want to just start on this book without reading the last one. Because this story is basically is a re-cap of Wake the Devil, The Chained Coffin and Almost Collosus. Sure we get the idea that Hellboy’s right hand is really frickin important, but other than that this issue has nothing else to offer.

The Box of Evil is a story I wasnt really enjoying at first but by the end I realized it was a pretty bad-ass page turner. Here is yet another person trying to take advantage of Anung un Rama. This is also a very stylish story with a lot of cool little details thrown in. I would say this is probably in my top 10 so far.

Being Human is not what I expected it to be. I thought this story was going to delve into Hellboy and his life among other humans but we actually get a deeper look into Roger the Homunculus. And this is a perfectly entertaining and grounding story until the end when my interest was lost.

Conqueror Worm is said to be one of the greatest Hellboy stories ever made. I’d have to agree. This is a super action packed story that I also found to be quite emotional particularly with the character of Roger. Something I didn’t know I’d love was a new side character we got. Lobster Johnson. HO this guy’s a bad-ass. There is one panel that floored me. I think you know the one I’m talking about. It just screams bad-assery. The BPRD play a big part in this story and its not a good one. They do something real shady and in fact Hellboy puts the entire BPRD title in perspective. They really are just using Hellboy, Roger, Liz, and Abe as mercenaries for extremely horrible situations. The entire concept of the Conqueror Worm is of course really cool but I am now really noticing something that has been nagging at me since book 1. Hellboy on more than 4 separate occasions goes to a big Nazi or demon filled tower and fights the villain(s). I think Mignola should have branched out from that formulaic setting. I can stress this point all I want but I think you have to read these books to REALLY know what I am talking about. And I have one more problem that pretty much translates to all of the Hellboy I’ve read so far. We DO NOT get to see enough of the BPRD and their relationships with each other. If you dont count the separate BPRD stories Mignola wrote, I’m just talking the main Hellboy universe. I SO wish that all the characters would have more time together. We get to see one story with Abe Sapien and we barley see Liz Sherman what so ever. But overall I thought Conqueror Worm was extremely entertaining and really impactful on some fronts.

The Third Wish Now that’s what I’m talkin about! This is one of my favourite Hellboy stories so far and my favourite in this omnibus. This one kept me the most consistently entertained and we get yet another crazy villain and another look into Hellboy’s eventual fate he is hoping to avoid. This story was just so awesome because he selflessly puts him self through a beating to save some mermaids he previously got kidnaped by. The dialogue between Hellboy and the Bog Roosh is also just hilarious and bad-ass to the enth degree because Hellboy is such a smart-ass and can see right through a corny villain monologue. So ya definitely one of the best so far. But one more thing I don’t really understand is to have another villain just show up out of nowhere swearing to wage get his revenge and wage war on Hellboy. I wished that Mignola maybe could have used a previous villain.

The Island. Uuuuuuuuuuu.........Alright look. I’ve read dozens of confusing ass acid trippy stories in this genre, and I’m not even gonna try to understand this one. I feel like its unfair for me to say I didn’t like it because I don’t understand it but I will always say there is better way to lay out a huge universe changing story than to have it melt your brain with a million things going on at once that just overlap and criss-cross and smash and meld altogether. Yeesh!

Into the Silent Sea is exactly what I thought it would be. Especially the ENDING. WINK WINK FRICKIN NUDGE NUDGE FRICKIN NUDGE. Sorry I just don’t like the cliche the ending takes. But ya a very fun pirate story with Hellboy that doesn’t really do much to move the plot forward at all. The change in art didn’t bother me. Most people would be like “NO! HOW DARE MIGNOLA NOT DRAW THIS STORY!” But I thought Gary Gianni did a really job and his style was perfect for this kind of story.

In the end I really liked this collection of Hellboy stories. Not quite as good as the last book but definitely close. Conqueror Worm and The Third Wish are truly great stories with great concepts. I still stand by my 2 big problems with the Hellboy universe though. One being the super formulaic plots and two is the absence of the main characters interacting with each other. (Other than Roger the Homunculus. He is a bad-ass who has plenty of time in the book) But we are getting to the 3 biggest stories next and I am hoping that I love them. Letter Grade: (B+)
Profile Image for Adam Spanos.
637 reviews124 followers
October 19, 2018
Highly Recommended: A Nice, New, Organized Approach Here...in chronological order. The overall Hellboy story continues in this second volume. For those who always enjoyed Hellboy, but was confused about the timeline, these new paperback volumes can alleviate much of the aggravation involved. Thank you Mike Mignola.

Shouts out to Baba Booey.
January 5, 2022
I didn't expected Hellboy to be such an interesting comic, this volume is full of weird stories in which I mostly didn't understand anything 😅 but also some cool revelations about the true nature of his arm. I enjoy original drawings, but it is impossibile to not notice how wonderful the last story is drawn, every page a little piece of art. Can't wait to continue the story!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Matt Maielli.
214 reviews1 follower
July 25, 2019
it's becoming harder to pick out my favorite Hellboy story but Mignola professing his love for the very specific genre/niche of old-timey sea tales (The Third Wish, The Island, Into the Silent Sea) makes for just a wonderful read.
Profile Image for Adam Williams.
227 reviews
April 12, 2020
One or two of these stories were a little more difficult to follow, but the Hellboy magic is still utterly enthralling. I have to say I prefer Mignola on art over the guest contributors showing up here as well, but if you're into Hellboy at all you won't be disappointed here.
Profile Image for Michael.
97 reviews1 follower
September 6, 2021
It was good to finally get onto stories I haven’t read with this book and I enjoyed it a lot! I feel like the last two mini stories at the end got a bit confusing but overall Hellboy is continuing to be a fun, unique read and I’m looking forward to the very large next book…
Profile Image for Derek Moreland.
Author 1 book5 followers
January 17, 2022
Theres a certain magic to Hellboy. The folklore, mythology, and history all all so deeply researched and tied together...the Hellboy gets bored and punches stuff with his giant fist. It's absolutely amazing, and it works every time.
Profile Image for Germano Marrello.
137 reviews22 followers
September 20, 2021
Adesso ti trovi nel mezzo del cammino della tua vita...

Abbiamo lasciato il nostro Hellboy dopo lo scontro con il monaco Rasputin, suo creatore, e la dea Ecate: entrambi hanno cercato di portare il demone rosso dalla loro parte ma hanno fallito miseramente: dopotutto cosa ci si può aspettare da uno che ad ogni pericolo sulla sua strada reagisce con calma e un pizzico di strafottenza?

Eppure Hellboy sarà costretto suo malgrado ad affrontare le rivelazioni sul suo ruolo di portatore dei peggiori incubi che il mondo abbia mai conosciuto: tra liti di famiglia, scimmie assassine e vermi giganti il nostro eroe farà di tutto per non essere ciò che il fato ha in serbo per lui, dovesse morire provandoci.

Io non sono nemmeno umano

Una delle novità di questo secondo volume è quella di cambiare i comprimari di Hellboy: lasciamo una Liz Sherman debilitata e un Abe in congedo per conoscere Roger l'omuncolo, comparso nel precedente volume come antagonista secondario.

Con Roger viene affrontato il primo tema della storia: la natura delle persone; Hellboy e Roger non sono umani (demone e uomo artificiale) ma tentano in tutti i modi di esserlo: il primo cercando di salvare quante più persone possibili dai suoi stessi simili, il secondo cercando di capirne alcuni tratti caratteristici come il senso di giustizia e il coraggio (notevole è la prova di Roger contro il Verme Conquistatore).

Ma nonostante i loro sforzi capiscono che gli umani non si fideranno mai totalmente di loro due, ma Hellboy non demorde e per quanto sia doloroso decide di andarsene e affrontare i propri demoni, cercando di salvare quelli umani che forse non lo amano ma che per lui sono importanti.

...e tutte le strade portano verso strani luoghi

Nell'ultima parte del volume vediamo Hellboy affrontare pericoli sempre più assurdi ma tutti legati tra loro quasi come se fosse una prova prima dello scontro finale.

Ne Il terzo desiderio affronta la strega dell'acquitrino (nome davvero originale!) che vuole impedire al nostro eroe di distruggere la terra (gesto nobile dopotutto!); inutile dire che Hellboy riesce a scamparla grazie alla fortuna.

L'isola è forse la storia più confusa del volume, ho fatto un pò fatica a capire cosa stesse succedendo ma alla fine si capiscono molte cose sul passato del nostro eroe e sulla creazione di Odgru - Jahad (certo che un nome più semplice non c'era eh!).

Nel mare silente è stata una bella sorpresa con tanto di plot twist finale: ottimi i disegni e le scene d'azione; qui possiamo capire quanto questo viaggio abbia portato molti traumi al nostro eroe e che forse ora vale la pena tornare a casa e combattere per l'ultima volta.

Conclusione

Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places porta Hellby ad affrontare una serie di sfide sempre più gravi che lo mettono davanti alla sua vera natura e a farli comprendere come può (forse) evitare la fine del mondo.

Capire tutte le trame dei vari racconti può sembrare complicato ma leggendolo lentamente si riescono a capire molti dettagli importanti; utilissime inoltre sono le note a fondo pagina che indicano a quale storia ci si sta riferendo (nella maggior parte dei casi a quelle contenute in Hellboy Omnibus Volume 1: Seed of Destruction.

Ottimo il disegno, soprattutto nell'ultima storia dove devo ammettere è stato davvero ben fatto, se tutto il fumetto fosse così sarebbe un capolavoro (beh già lo è ma si può sempre migliorare).

La storia continua in Hellboy Omnibus Volume 3: The Wild Hunt
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
722 reviews8 followers
September 17, 2020
"Strange Places" sees Hellboy transition from chasing monsters and punching Nazis with the B.P.R.D. to venturing off on his own, disgusted by how the agency has treated a fellow agent (and a fellow monster).

The first set of stories is more lively. We encounter shapeshifting demons and monkeys with pistols, zombies and old tales of retribution. The art throughout is excellent, dark, detailed and compelling, although some of the Richard Corben sketches in "Being Human" seems to edge dangerously close to stereotype.

"Conqueror Worm" is the turning point. The story centers on modern-day Nazis trying to recall one of their own astronauts, a dead man who has been zooming through the heavens since World War II, communing with dark forces. What lands is something inhuman, and with it, the apocalypse that the whole series prophecies really begins.

What follows "Conqueror Worm" is a series of stories that are slower, more mythical and deeply invested in the prophecies surrounding Hellboy and his power. These are compelling too, and the art is generally excellent, particularly when Mignola heads under the sea for the "Monkey's Paw" inspired "The Third Wish."

That said, I've always thought Hellboy missed something without his supporting cast. When he's alone, the storytelling can become a bit bullish and self-centered, diving into Hellboy's pathos into it's time to punch something and overcome. The character moments are subsumed to the overarching plot, and while I enjoy the latter, I miss the former.
Profile Image for Gabriell Anderson.
311 reviews15 followers
February 16, 2019
Druhý omnibus má pátou hvězdu s odřenýma ušima, ale Červ dobyvatel si ji za mě zaslouží tak moc, že zachrání i mé zklamání z některých slabších kousků. Co se tu bohužel ukazuje je totiž fakt, kolik z Hellboye a jeho kvalit tvoří Mignolova kresba. Jsou tu hned dva příběhy od jiných kreslířů a i když bych je neoznačil za špatné, tak bych pořád rozhodně byl radši, kdyby Mignola nadále sobecky držel svého kluka čistě ve svých rukou. Co se naopak povedlo, tak je jak už zmíněný Červ, tak i ostatní delší kousky, protože navzdory mým očekáváním Mignola servíruje víc a víc informací z Hellboyovi minulosti a hlavně víc vysvětluje (vůbec mi přijde, že v dnešní době se hodně jede na tajemství a člověk má štěstí, když se v průměrném volumku víc odhalí než nakousne a navnadí). Zase se tu objevuje starý dobrý mix bájí a špetek reálné historie (a upřímně řečeno, kdokoliv kdo do svých příběhů mixuje nacisty a hraje si s jejich posledlostí mystičnem, tak má mojí plnou pozornost) a poprvé se nám tu představuje Humr Johnson. V druhé půlce mi přijde, že už se začíná trochu moc skákat z místa na místo, ale něco mi říká, že to do sebe postupně zapadne.

Mohlo by se vám líbit:
- pokud vás první nálož Hellboyových příběhů navnadila a vy teď toužíte po další dávce a po prvních odpovědích
- pokud chcete zjistit, jak Hellboy vypadá v rukách jiných kreslířů

Spíš vás zklame, pokud:
- nesnášíte, když příběh skáče z místa na místo a mnoho věcí do sebe zapadne až časem
Profile Image for Nate.
1,419 reviews15 followers
Read
May 14, 2020
“Conqueror Worm,” the centerpiece of this collection and major turning point for Hellboy, is probably the best story of the series so far. Mignola effortlessly balances action, character, and plot progression while continuing to drop fascinating hints for Hellboy’s past and future. We get a great outing from Roger (who also stars in “Being Human”) plus Lobster Johnson’s introduction. The art is stellar, with some of Mignola’s best visual storytelling to date. Yeah, I had a blast with this one. Incredibly thrilling stuff.

The two stories of Hellboy in Africa - “The Third Wish” and “The Island” - are definitely important to the overall story, but I think they’re both a little too crammed. It’s like Mignola had to include all this information and couldn’t deliver it cohesively in the space he allowed himself. They’re infodumpy, in other words, answering many questions but in slightly confusing ways. Ah well. There’s still cool stuff here and good character moments for Hellboy.

“Into the Silent Sea,” a pirate story, rounds out the book. Gary Gianni handles the art and co-writes with Mignola. While this one isn’t as vital as the few before it, there’s still fun to be had. I’m a sucker for pirate stories so I really enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Guilherme Smee.
Author 19 books105 followers
November 8, 2019
Tenho sentido que o meu tipo de leitura em quadrinhos favorita deu uma "evoluída" neste último ano. Muito em função da ausência de títulos novos de quadrinhos adultos mainstream americanos para eu me agarrar. Uma das soluções que se abriu, tanto no mercado como no meu "gosto", foi optar por materiais mais alternativos, mas ainda assim, mainstream. Tenho adorado cada vez mais ler fumetti e eles tem me agradado imensamente, como os quadrinhos de super-heróis costumavam fazer. Hellboy nunca foi muito minha praia. Costumava achar as histórias bobas. Mas a iniciativa da Mythos Editora em trazer para o Brasil a coleção de Omnibus do vermelhão dos infernos, em ordem cronológica, foi uma sacada também... dos infernos. Agora comecei a curtir Hellboy para valer e tudo que me fez me apaixonar infernalmente pelo vermelhão no primeiro volume, eu passei a continuar curtindo neste segundo volume, que parece estar ainda mais aventuresco e maravilhador ainda por causa das tais "paragens exóticas" que Hellboy visita. Por favor, se você for como eu que não gostou de Hellboy numa primeira olhada, olhe de novo, dê mais uma chance. Não vai se arrepender!
1,199 reviews5 followers
December 23, 2019
This book took an obnoxiously long time to become available through my library; a two month delay kind of ruined the momentum I had revisiting this series.

Still, it is good to have a chance to read it. Though I generally like having the stories close together in chronological order, I also kind of miss the way the short stories underline themes in the main story, or provide details on an event mentioned in passing in the narrative. There were two stories here that I didn't really recognize: "Being Human" and "Into the Silent Sea"; my guess is they came out in some unusual order or in a special collection, especially since they are non-Mignola art.

Late in this volume, after Hellboy had been wandering in story for a few years, there is a hint of trouble impacting his friends from the BPRD; I sort of want to know the whole story, but I did try reading that series and didn't really get into it. Even with Hellboy proper, reading it now I'm not sure how much I like it, and how much I remember liking it, and pressing forward with reading it because I want to have the sense of the whole arc as I read the conclusion.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 128 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.