Jump to ratings and reviews

Our Dark Stars

While she sleeps, the whole universe changes.

Princess Talia Starchaser has it all. Wealth. Status. Adoring citizens. But on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, she’s forced to publicly betray her best friend, a companion mock she’s had since birth, setting events into motion that lead to the destruction of the humans, and the princess floating through space, a remnant of a time when humans ruled over droids.

One hundred years later, half-mock captain Will Perrault and his ragtag crew discover a device floating in space. When a very human Talia emerges from its depths, Will suspects she’s the key to buying his way back into the regiment he once commanded against the last remaining rebel humans—and the ruling mock queen’s good graces.

Both Talia and Will would rather get space-tossed than trust one another, but with the queen’s forces chasing them across the galaxy and the fate of both worlds hanging in the balance, they’ll forge the unlikeliest of alliances to survive.

316 pages, Paperback

17 books1,947 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
90 (9%)
1 star
43 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 216 reviews
Profile Image for Brittney Andrews (beabookworm).
134 reviews230 followers

- Anti-abuse messages ✓
- Anti-racism messages ✓
- Cool space crew ✓
- Down-to-earth romance (muaha) ✓

This book was something out of this world, literally and figuratively speaking. Seriously though, I am hesitant to compare this to our beloved space gospel The Lunar Chronicles; however, dare I say that I might have enjoyed this a tiny bit more? DON'T YOU DARE JUDGE ME!

This is categorized as YA, however, the content is meant for mature readers as it contains swearing, sexual remarks, references of brothels etc. This book is told in dual POVS and alternates from past to present. So Major kudos to both of the authors for making this an easy to follow along novel because that is hella tricky to execute so the reader isn't left confused with a fried brain.

Alright, so you're probably like, "Hey dude, what is this book about?" Welp, you're following a princess that has just turned 18 years old and is betrothed to a horrible prince because he does not believe that "mocks" aka human replicas are capable of emotions. However, the horrible dude tries to charm Princess Talia anyway...

description

But Talia is smart and quickly discovers that this "prince" is a bigot when he demonstrates his hate towards Talia's servant/friend--a mock!! Dun dun dunnnn.

However, Princess Talia Starchaser does not want to disappoint her parents, so she is willing to secure this marriage even at the expense of others and herself in order to create an alliance to prevent another war. Cuz, you know, when you're an adult you got:

description

All of a sudden, things go from bad to worse! Princess Talia's horrible fiance asks her to do something despicable in order to prove her loyalty.

Death is a tsunami, and all the pain in the world can't stop the waves of grief about to crash over you.

After a series of unfortunate events (no, not actually after that series, dingus), Princess Talia's parents and younger brother are under attack and must save Talia, the heir to their kingdom: Talia is put in this space capsule that is meant to freeze and preserve her body, and off into space she goes leaving her family behind.

One hundred years go by...

description

Then BAM. Princess Talia's world collides with the devilishly handsome, half-mock Captain Will Perrault and his super selfless, witty space crew. But, ughhh, these two don't seem to get along at first:

description

Honestly, just mark your damn calendar for 6 March 2018 and grab yourself a copy. This was an awesome read and I will be purchasing a hard copy for myself! And although this book doesn't really necessitate a sequel, I feel like the odds of us getting one are pretty high *crosses fingers*. I will, however, throw a massive tantrum, round up my Rugrat babies and protest if I don't get a sequel to this glorious book, cuz:

description

Thanks a million to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC. Quotes are subject to change upon publication.
Profile Image for Faye*.
315 reviews94 followers
January 9, 2018

I hardly ever read Sci-Fi and I think I can count all my Sci-Fi reads on the fingers of one hand, which is why I didn’t really have high expectations when going into this book. But man, was I pleasantly surprised! Reading this story was so much fun!

In this dual perspective novel, we follow Talia, a human princess, and Will, a half human/half mock starship captain, who forge an unlikely alliance after Talia is awoken from her cyosleep a hundred years after humankind’s dominion over mocks was destroyed. Granted, the premise of the story doesn’t sound very new or original but I had such a good time reading this.
I really liked the way the authors introduced all the characters, the pace of the story, and the conclusion. Yes, the book does have some weaknesses. I had some issues with certain plot elements that seemed just way too convenient and the side characters were a little flat. I really would have liked to see more of this world and our crew, to have them fleshed out more but at the same time, it felt SO good for this to be such a short and quick read. Other authors could (annoyingly) have drawn this out into a trilogy but here we have this standalone (with potential to be continued) that manages to cover the whole story and be wholly entertaining in just over 300 pages.

I thought the writing style was smooth, funny, and fast paced without seeming rushed. And I very much appreciated the fact that our heroes don’t fall into each other’s arms three pages after they meet. Talia is a tough heroine that doesn’t whine, complain, or fawn over boys all the time but not unrealistically so. She is strong but not completely unreasonably badass. Will is sassy but not annoyingly so, and has an inner conflict that makes him even more likable. They do have a quite immediate attraction but none of that nausea causing complete insta-love, where they cannot stop admiring each other’s muscles and curves every 1.5 pages. So, definitely well done!

Summing up, I had a great time reading this story, my only critique being that it could have been a little longer to give it more depth. If you like Sci-Fi and are looking for a quick, entertaining YA read, definitely check this out.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest opinion!
Profile Image for Louie the Mustache Matos.
882 reviews59 followers
November 11, 2022
This novel is very Asimov, with a little YA sprinkled in, which I would propose is high praise mixed with a little flavor for high-concept, fantasy, science fiction. I have a very eclectic taste, but normally I would have passed on this novel. Since I got it free in my Wrath and Ruin Box Set of 20 science fiction/fantasy novels, and it's the first book in the set, I had to read it. Princess Starchaser is forced to betray her closest friend on the eve of her 18th birthday. Her best friend is an android / mock human. The betrayal of her friend leads to a revolution that casts her in suspended animation for 100 years into the future: (not a spoiler, it's the first few pages of the novel) a future that has humans and mocks in contention, still. The novel has a Star Wars feel, only not as good. (Not a knock, this is a very good facsimile or mock if you prefer.) I'm glad I read Our Dark Stars by Audrey Grey and look forward to many more books like this in the set. Fingers crossed.
Profile Image for Ishmeen.
376 reviews152 followers
June 5, 2018
3.75/5 stars! I definitely enjoyed reading Our Dark Stars - the premise intrigued me when I first came across it and the story did not disappoint. Science fiction and fantasy are two of my favourite genres and Our Dark Stars was a perfect mix of the two. The world building was mind blowing and totally perfect for me as I love to read about stories with interactions between humans and robots! There's royalty, rebellion, artificial intelligence and a hate to love romance which just completes the picture. I loved the characters and the fast pace of this story - I was never bored and finished the whole book in the matter of three hours because I could not stop turning the pages!

I would have liked more romance and for the story to be slightly longer as I found that it ended too soon. I also wish the antagonist would have been introduced earlier as well to introduce more conflict and drama as that would have made the plot more thrilling in my opinion. Regardless, I would recommend this book to all readers if this sounds like your cup of tea :)

Thank you to the publishers for providing me a free copy of Our Dark Stars via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,928 reviews216 followers
February 1, 2018
Received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

I do love a good sci-fi every now and then so trust me when I saw this..

Besides love a good sci-fi (or any kind of genre really) I do love a dual POV too. It just makes a book more interesting when there's a dual. Sometimes with multiple POVs one can get confused quite easily or you can get bored with just one POV. So I really like reading books with dual POVs - this book has it!

Once I finished doing my happy dance I wanted to dive into Our Dark Stars. At first glance, I fell in love with both Will and Talia pretty early on. Will is a starship captain while Talia is a princess. The duo forms an unlikely alliance after Talia wakes up from her cyosleep to a different world. I don't know how I would feel if I was woken up 100 years later (after I went to sleep) but shit would probably hit the fan. This also made me think of the movie Passengers.

Now I'm not saying this book was beyond perfect, because trust me it had some flaws, but I did really enjoy reading it. I really liked the characters and the overall flow of the story. I think I just really loved watching Talia and Will grow throughout the book.

Overall, I loved this book. I'm so happy that I found a new author. I'm beyond ecstatic that this cover looks freaking amazing. The story was entertaining and made me zoom through the book. I kind of feel guilty that I went through it so quickly.

I could totally see myself rereading it over and over again. Also, when it comes out I'm definitely going to go out and buy it for myself and everyone else I know.
Profile Image for Darque  Dreamer .
360 reviews47 followers
December 30, 2017
Our Dark Stars is a fully realized, captivating sci-fi adventure of astronomical proportions! It is fast paced, exciting, and beautiful! With daring characters, unique twists, and a fantastical futuristic setting, this one is sure to have you flying high!

From the moment I read the synopsis I knew I had to read this one! It was immensely satisfying! I devoured it, and the sci-fi lover in me was extremely happy!

There was beauty in the writing. The imagery used was impeccable! I fell in love with the enchantingly elegant metaphors flowing throughout the story, and the vast amount of descriptiveness.

I felt like the writers drew inspiration from Star Wars, Beauty and the Beast, and Dark Matter (television show). The plot was so fascinating and had my heart was pounding the entire time! I was taken on a ride with plenty of twists and turns! There were a couple of predictable moments, but they were well done and fit seamlessly with the enjoyable unpredictable moments!

The world building in this was outstanding! For a story that took place on a spacecraft the majority of the time, there was an immense amount of world building that felt natural and unique. I felt like I was on board the Odysseus with the crew. I could see the cities of the different planets the craft stopped on, and I felt like the world history, and all of its characters, was perfectly fleshed out.

Will really stood out to me, and has taken the place as my favorite sci-fi male character. He was so conflicted inside, and had such an interesting past. He was handsome, strong, and witty. I loved his confidence and personality!

I also really loved Talia. She was brave, strong, and determined. She was also pretty kickass toward the end of the book. She was fierce and moral, and shined like a star!

And, Will’s crew of rag tag, misfit mocks (droids) were incredibly dynamic! They had the fierce loyalty and edginess of Kaz’s group from Six of Crows. They brought humor and intrigue to the story.

This book made me feel like I was floating among the stars! My heart was racing! I smiled, I laughed, I rolled my eyes (in a good way), and had a moment of brief sadness. The writing was lyrical and beautiful and held me like a siren until the very end! I became fully invested in the characters and was taken on an exhilarating ride through space!

Thank you to the author, Audrey Grey, for sending me this free e-ARC in exchange for my honest review, and as part of the Elite ARC Team!!
Profile Image for mith.
722 reviews253 followers
March 20, 2018
HELLO yet again, you can also find this review on my blog!
---
I’m a bit surprised by this book. Admittedly, I went into it for a quick read… but I wasn’t really expecting anything. I liked the aesthetic of the cover and the synopsis, so I was a bit optimistic. And then I was surprised because wow, this book was so much more than I’d expected it to be!

This is told from two points of view, and for the first few chapters, they’re a hundred years apart. Circumstances lead to the main characters meeting eventually and it is as wild as you’d expect it. I think my favourite part of this book was the dynamics between humans and mocks. Mocks are sort of like robot companions (don’t quote me on this)? In Talia’s age (which was a 100 years before the story currently takes place in), mocks were beneath humans. A century later, in Will’s time, it’s humans that are seen as lesser and mocks that are at the top of the hierarchy. The changes that led to this were fascinating to me! It was unlike other scifi novels I’ve read before and it made Our Dark Stars stand out.

I really liked the ragtag crew in Will’s ship. I didn’t care for Will all that much--frankly, Talia’s chapters were much more interesting--but by the end, I was rooting for both of them and their impossible mission. They--not just the main characters, but everyone on board--had unique dynamics and I enjoyed seeing that through both Will and Talia’s perspectives.

My only complaint is that they mentioned the auburn of Talia's hair a lot. Too many times. I don't really care about her hair.

Overall, I would recommend this! It’s not overly heavy on romance--there are hints of it but it’s more build up than anything--an intriguing dynamic in the world, and fun characters!
Profile Image for Rebekah.
728 reviews955 followers
March 12, 2018
CALLED IT! TOTALLY CALLED IT!!

First of all I fell in LOOOOOVE with the cover! It's gorgeous!!!! However the one problem I do have with it is, the hair. It doesn't match the color of the character in the book...just sayin...

This is a fun book none-the-less well some of it, sadly I found myself often bored. I like how it started I like the world building and many of the characters. But it just couldn't keep my attention. I couldn't really connect with the characters and I didn't care for at all the main character.

There was nothing surprising for me in the story, I had it all figured out but like chapter 3 which didn't help to keep my interest.

The Main character seemed different between the beginning and the wake up character.

I wasn't impressed with the "twists and turns."

But still can be a fun read even though for me I just wasn't impressed with the story. However I LOVED the world building and the story behind it all. THAT is what gave it a good rating in my book!

Sexual Content: mild
Language: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild
Violence: moderate

***A HUGE THANK YOU to Netgalley and Blaze Publishing for the ARC of this book which I got in exchange for an honest review***
Profile Image for Glory.
350 reviews48 followers
May 18, 2018
3.5 звезды

Есть люди (fleshers) и дроиды (mocks). Первые, разумеется, хозяева, вторые рабы. Их создали по образу и подобию, их запрограммировали на подчинение, но некий вирус дает машинам возможность не выполнять приказы.
Зреет сопротивление. Принцесса Талия должна была выйти замуж и объединить людей, должна была стать символом победы человечества. Но вместо этого ее семья убита, а сама Тал в спасательной капсуле запущена в космос.
Сто лет спустя все иначе. Теперь дроиды хозяева, а люди рабы. И вот не самая благочестивая команда на раздолбанном звездолете, шерстившая космос в поисках наживы, натыкается на непонятную фиговину, больше похожую на гроб.

История внезапно увлекла. Я ожидала некую версию «Спящей красавицы» в космическом антураже, тем более и реклама уверяла (Sleepingbeauty meets Firefly!), но все оказалось куда интереснее. Конечно, основные составляющие в наличии (сто лет проспавшая девица, спасший ее мужик, злая королева), однако книга не только о них. Она о людях и человечности. Без особых наворотов, простым, но красочным языком, авторы рассказывают о ярлыках и сути. Давно всем известные, но оттого не утратившие актуальности истины.
Герои совсем не идеальны. По сути, гибель королевской семьи и последующая победа дроидов стали результатом одного малодушного поступка Талии. И она не оправдывает себя, а пытается что-то изменить. Герой, родившийся человеком, но впоследствии начиненный железками и программами под завязку, тоже далеко не прекрасный принц. И оступается он не единожды, борясь с эгоизмом, пока наконец не расставляет приоритеты.
Команда на корабле тоже занятная – каждый со своей историей и тараканами, и хоть уделено им крайне мало времени, все же персонажи не остались лишь «функциями», а оставили свой след.

Роман читается очень быстро, он небольшой и крайне ��инематографичный. Легко представить себе эту историю на большом экране.
Я не скажу, что пищала от восторга, но удовольствие точно получила и спокойно могу рекомендовать книгу всем любителям романтическо-героического янг-адалта.
Profile Image for Paula (She Sniffs Books).
170 reviews78 followers
March 9, 2018
Song I Listened To While Writing Review

I received an ARC for this on Netgalley for an honest review. Even though the book is already out and I read it a couple weeks ago, I'm just now having time to sit down and write a review. This review will be short, but that's not because I didn't like it, quite the opposite actually, I just don't want to give much away.

Dis book! DISSSSS BOOKIE-WOOKIE was a big surprise for me. The world building, the characters, the action, and the tiny bit of romance got me SHOOK!

Our Dark Stars centers on two main characters, Will and Talia, and starts out with each in a different time, but quickly syncs up later on in the book.

- Will Perrault

Our Dark Stars opens during the year 3731 A.D. with Will, a once-human turned Ender (droid), and his crew of misfits. Will is the captain of the Odysseus in space, and he is in search of something big, something that will return him to the good graces of the Queen so he can once again captain the Athena and his old crew. Because of this, Will is reckless and will do anything, even making crazy decisions to retrieve a mysterious object in a dangerous part of space. But once he retrieves it, he's not so sure he made the catch of the day.

- Talia Starchaser

One hundred years before Will comes across the floating object in space, Talia Starchaser is the junior sovereign of of the 7 seven planets. She comes from the Starchaser Dynasty, which goes back thousands of years when humans were in search of another galaxy to find habitable planets because Earth was wasting away. It is her ancestors who made sacrifice upon sacrifice and came upon 7 new planets for humans to inhabite. In this new galaxy, there are spaceships, droids, a bunch of high-tech savy stuff, and now a war between humans and droids.

Talia has her own droid, a junior mock called Ailat; Talia spelled backwards. Droids were made as mock companions but humans, but a recent "virus" has begun to infect the droids with human emotions, like rebelling. So the humans devised a test to see which droid was infected. The test is to command the droid to cut their finger, and if they hesitate or refuse, they were already infected with the virus. Talia explains that Ailat had a very questionable result; Ailat hesitated for just a moment, and since Talia sees her junior companion as a dear friend, she paid Ailat's tester to keep her from further testing.

While a rebellion continues on, Talia has another problem: She's to be married off to a ruthless prince from another planet. Her family makes it clear that this match must work, and so Talia puts on a brave face. It is during her meeting with her betrothed, their meeting being broadcast to everyone, that Talia is forced to treat Ailat with coldness. Talia's betrothed also commands her to kill Ailat to prove her loyalty to humans and to him. Seeing no way out of this, with everything on the line for her family, she gives Ailat the device that will end her own life, hoping that Ailat will refuse.

Ailat does exactly what Talia expects: She defies Talia's order and escapes. The engagement is called off and Talia begins a search for Ailat. This all dwindles down to Ailat betraying Talia. Talia's family is soon being set upon by the rebellious droids and the only option is to keep Talia, the future of the Starchaser dynasty, alive and safe as she is forced into a sort of coffin-shaped hibernation box and ejected deep into space where Will finds her 100 years later.

When Talia awakes, she doesn't realize how much time has passed and she is shocked to be in the hands of droids; droids that are unnervingly realistic to humans now. Talia comes to realize that the galaxy is no longer run by humans (called Fleshers), but by droids (called Enders).

I'm going to stop right there because there are so many interesting things that transpire after Talia is a awoken, and I don't want to ruin it for everyone else. But I really enjoyed this book. The world building is interesting and unique; the interaction between Talia and Will is believable; the ending makes you wonder if there will even be a second book. I hope there is because it just CAN'T end like that. IT CAN'T!

There are also other likeable characters who are apart of Will's crew: Leo, Lux, Jane and Dorian

Leo is a ladies man; Dorian and Lux are brother and sister, with Lux being a small tough gal; Jane is Will's co-captain, and she is glitching a lot lately, which is a sign that she needs to change bodies.

READ THIS BOOK! Like, NOW! Don't wait!

Instagram - Blog
Profile Image for Amy Leigh.
327 reviews38 followers
May 2, 2018
I really enjoyed this sci-fi space young adult adventure. It kind of felt like a fairy tale retelling, set in space that straddles the young adult/new adult genre line with royal intrigue and betrayal. The cover is so freakin gorgeous!

Talia is a princess and next in line for the throne. She is everything you expect from a princess stereotype. She is entitled, adored, pampered. So when her grandmother tells her what she expects from her Talia does something rash. She betrays her best friend Ailat, an android/Mock who has been by Talia's side her whole life. Ailat takes revenge and Talia is put into a coffin and sent floating in space. The reign of humans is over.

Will is half human and half android/Mock. He is on the space crew that finds Talia's coffin a hundred years later. Possibly a Sleeping Beauty moment? He thinks he may be able to use Talia for his own personal gain and manipulates her. Eventually Will becomes interested in Talia for more than high standing, he wants romance.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ecopy of this book in exchange for a fair and ho eat review.
Profile Image for Carla.
602 reviews97 followers
January 4, 2018
I loved a lot about this book.

First, look at that stunning cover! The colors are so amazing, and just the whole layout of it looks like perfection. (Kinda sad here that I “only” got the e-book version of this, but a big thanks here to Blaze Publishing! This did not influence my rating of the book in any way, though.)
Also I’m such a sucker for good space action and strong characters. The whole plot line was very unique and I loved how the story build up.
We have Talia who is a human princess with a kind heart even though she’s a bit spoiled. Also there is not really love in her family, and she’s forced to marry a jerk.
Then when have a jump in the time line and under certain conditions she meets Will Perrault (he’s the definition of a space cowboy!) and to survive they have to work together.
I love the focus on the mocks (I don’t wanna spoil so I can’t get into any detail here) and trust me when I say, this book is different.

I loved the writing style and hope to read more about this story!!!
Profile Image for Lu.
156 reviews47 followers
March 9, 2018
This book to me had the makings of a good book, but because of the brevity of the novel, I felt like the multiple unexplored elements stopped the book from being able to delve in deeper.
Character development was very weak and the relationships in the book were not well built or put together well so it all seemed very fake and not very in depth. Not only that but the main female protagonist to me was very annoying and didn’t really have any redeeming traits except for her entitled attitude.
Not only that but there wasn’t really a well built up conflict and it appeared and was resolved very quickly (and very cheesily) so I was left feeling quite unsatisfied with the novel. If the author had taken time to make sure to fully develop the story and the characters it would have gone a lot better for me.
I received this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for *❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*.
414 reviews66 followers
February 11, 2018
I absolutely loved this book!
I love sci fi and I love cyborgs. I think it's almost when I read a book about cyborgs fighting for their rights or when space travelling is involved. But this book had so much more than what I expected!

Yes it had cyborgs fighting for rights and yes it had space travel, but it also had human enslavement, a century old secret, and many more twists and turns!

Talia Starchaser is an 18 year old princess who is engaged to a prince. More like an arranged marriage to have peace between two colonies.
The Starchaser dynasty have been ruling the Seven Planets for many generations, but in Talia's lifetime, the beginnings of a mock rebellion is starting to blossom. Cyborgs, or Mocks, as they are termed here are better and superior than humans in every way, yet they are treated as slaves.
But Talia has her junior Mock, Ailat who she has treated and cared for as a friend, even a sister. However, on the night she meets her fiancé, he demands she proves her loyalty and kill Ailat.
But the simple decision she makes here will determine the future, her future and the future of Mocks and humans

100 years in the future and we meet Mock Captain Will. A Mock who has been stripped from his previous crew and now is a scavenger hunter. He knows if he wishes to have his former job as a captain for The Queen, he must present to her something huge.
And when a large cabinet is floating in an abandoned mine, he knows that whatever is inside is worth more than anything they have ever sold.
But what he doesn't expect is that what's inside it not a what, but a who...

Talia and Will are at each other's throats from the start, Talia lived in a world where Mocks where mistreated but now it is humans who are enslaved by the mocks. They can tolerate each other but the more they know of The Queen and her way of ruling, makes them reconsider of becoming allies is more beneficial than being enemies.

Together they will go through hardship and suffering to make sure both species can coexist.
But can they when so many mocks remember how unfairly they were mistreated when the Starchaser dynasty ruled?

Awesome book, loved the story and I can't wait to see how these authors will continue this story.
There is no sign that it is part of a series, but considering how it ended, I am seriously, hoping that there is more!
Really excited!

Received a copy, for an honest review, thank you!
Profile Image for Alexa.
2,095 reviews10.9k followers
March 1, 2018
3.5 stars, to be more accurate. OUR DARK STARS was just the kind of YA sci-fi that I really enjoy! It was very entertaining, filled with just the right amount of action, romance, story and humor to keep me turning the pages. It starts off a bit rocky for me, with me being partial to one POV character (Will) over the other (Talia), but it evens out into something pretty darn great by the end. I definitely think that if you're looking for something that's on the lighter side of the sci-fi spectrum that this is a book worth checking out!

Also, I wanted to mention a few titles that have similar vibes/elements: Heart of Iron, These Broken Stars, Starflight and The Diabolic.
Profile Image for ~Mandi~.
281 reviews28 followers
February 12, 2018
Our Dark Stars
Audrey Grey and Krystal Wade
5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Excellent story!!! Such a creative and emotional sci-do/fantasy novel. I am pretty picky when it comes to sci-fi books and this one bypassed all my expectations.
Thanks NetGalley for the arc in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Sheila G.
506 reviews97 followers
March 13, 2018
See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

Content Warning: Abuse, Settings in Strip clubs, mention of Brothels, Selling into Marriage Union
”Never forget that, Talia. You are a Starchaser, descendant of the first explorers.”

I almost DNF’d this read at a little under halfway through. I decided to stick with it because the plot became more complicated right at the moments I thought I was going to call it quits. While certain traits were intriguing, in the end, the book was too predictable and lacked the individuality I was hoping for.

World Building

Our Dark Stars is set in outer space, in various settings. It varies between onboard spaceships, and travels from planet to planet, following in the wake of the characters. The story jumps between 3731 AD and 3631 AD, then remains in 3731 for the remainder of the book.

Society is comprised of a mixture of humans and droids--the droids having different variations within their category (i.e. Ender, Permanent) signifying their ability to jump from one body to another, essentially living forever. Everything is very scientifically inclined, as no religions are identified.

Pacing & Readability

The pacing remains steady and rather fast. The only instances it lulled was when Talia first awoke on the Odysseus. Otherwise, it was an easy and quick to read.

Point-Of-View & Characters

The point-of-view not only shifts between Will and Talia’s characters, it also shifts between past and present time frames. Will Perrault is one of the main characters but starts out as an antagonist to Talia. With the relations between Fleshers and Mocks being strained for years, the two don't know what to think of one another until the truth is uncovered.
”But don’t forget what your kind did. When I found you tossed into the mines like a piece of trash, skull split open, you were half-dead. That’s what the fleshers did to you. They’re savage, cruel beasts. It was us who took you in, who made you one of our own to save your life.”

Will's character holds the most complexity, as his human and droid counterparts are constantly warring against one another. This aspect comes out more and more as the plot moves on, and he begins to develop feelings for Talia. He constantly tries to deny his human origins and emotions, trying to prove that he is a Mock. It is through Will that his rag-tag diverse crew of scavengers, including Lux, Leo, Jane, and Dorian are introduced.

Talia Starchaser grew up in a life of privilege. The next in line to the Starchaser dynasty, the princess is made into a makeshift scape-goat for the Starchaser family to patch up their reputation with the rest of the royals. Her abusive grandmother makes Talia's position very clear and is part of the reason why Talia decides to betray her best friend, even though she doesn't want to. Talia's character acts privileged, and this is clear when she meets Will and his crew. It is a trait that makes her rather unlikeable, as she comes across as snobby.

Major Themes

⇒ Diversity

Diversity plays a large role in the casting specifically in race and sexual orientation. In general, the plot rotates around the idea of station-reversal between the Fleshers and Mocks, ultimately driving them to work with one another in the end.

⇒ “What goes around comes back around.”

This was the aspect of this book that I disliked the most. The way this book ended was so disappointing. I was hoping for the moment for reconciliation between Ailat and Talia, but it never happens. Ailat’s character becomes unredeemable, which I don’t think is a great message to enlist. Yes, Talia did Ailat wrong. In turn, Ailat did Talia wrong as well by killing the rest of her family. Talia still went through lengths to find Ailat after the incident at the gathering. While what happened to Ailat after she became a fugitive was tragic, she never gave Talia the chance to explain her side. Both parties were are fault here. Yet, neither of them fully humbled themselves before the other in order to understand and forgive, resulting in this “payback” mentality (mostly seen from Ailat’s character.) It made the ending feel incomplete and somewhat unjust for me. I get that this is Sci-Fi, and disagreements are often settled by battles, but I hoped for more from these characters.

Overall Feelings

Things that I liked:

⇒ The layout of the book, and how it alternated point-of-views between Talia and Will in the different eras.
⇒ While the romance between Will and Talia is obvious (immediately when he says that Talia isn’t his “type” I knew they'd end up together), it managed to be realistic and not over-the-top. It didn’t take away from the main focus of the plot and helped to give further incentive to the characters’ decisions.
⇒ Will’s character overall, mainly with how he is both a Mock and a Flesher.

Things that I didn’t like:

⇒ This book felt like any other Young Adult Sci-Fi. There wasn’t anything that set it apart.
⇒ The brashness of some of the characters, and the overall sexually-charged interactions. Personally, this aspect made this another reason why this may be a read more appropriate for the New Adult genre.
⇒ The “what goes around comes back around” mentality. Payback over reconciliation.

Overall, Our Dark Stars didn’t really impress me. While there were some elements that I enjoyed, there was nothing that made it distinguishable from its genre. It felt like a mix of Heart of Iron with a dash of The Hunger Games towards the end.

Vulgarity: Moderate. I counted 50 words total.
Sexual content: While there's nothing explicit, some characters were crude with making sexual remarks. There's also a scene in a strip club, and mention of brothels and escorts.
Violence: Mild-moderate.

My Rating: ★★

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook
Profile Image for Jamie  (The Kansan Reader).
542 reviews77 followers
February 10, 2020

A sci-fi that goes back and forth between Talia and Will every chapter. Fleshers are humans, mocks machines. Come to find out later a human that ends up with machine parts becomes a splicer.

Fair warning spoilers!!!

You are a Starchaser Princess. Pain is not only expected but welcomed.

Talia is being married off to a prince for an alliance. The mocks are in a rebellion with the humans. Talia’s life is changing but it all comes down to one crucial moment when her future husband demands her to make a decision between her family and her best friend.

That’s when Will realized the bastard had tricked him into acting.
He was human.
He was savage.
And he just confirmed it.

Will use to be human. Then his mock father found him and made him part machine, made him a splicer. He lost his position as one of the top flies when he missed a ship full of fleshers. Now he’s trying to prove his loyalty only his mock brother isn’t making it easy. He may have found something though that might help. He just can’t screw it up.

I love the characters in this. It almost felt Star Wars at times but it also felt original at the same time. I have been having a pretty icky year coming to books but right now this one broke through.

It almost became my first five-star review but the ending with the queen was a bit lackluster. But I still loved it! On to the next book!!!
Profile Image for Kelsey .
220 reviews41 followers
January 5, 2018
I received this E-arc from Netgalley in return for my honest opinion
Actual rating: 4,5
This book was good. Not good in a way of: 'Yeah it was good, just good' but more like: 'This book was so good that I need to recover for a month or so.'

The characters were really cool. I loved them. the only problem for me was that there wasn't really a lot of information about how all of them looked, their backstories and stuff like that. I would have loved to know a bit more.

The story felt rushed too. Some events and things were written too fast. There were also a few this that were unbelievable. Like, why not ask the new girl where she comes from and what she does on your ship? Why not ask the crew where you are? Some things were just not believable.

But, despite my critics, I need to admit that this book was really good. I loved the writing and the world building was really really cool. I'm not a sy-fy, space book lover. Not at all. I normally never read books set in space. But this one was worth it!
Profile Image for Jamie.
Author 16 books160 followers
December 18, 2017
I’m a huge Audrey Grey fan, no surprise there. This woman writes incredibly good and this book isn’t any different. great job ladies with this captivating, exciting and breathtaking novel 😍
Profile Image for Mehsi.
11.5k reviews359 followers
March 21, 2018
I received a review copy for the blog tour.

So I was really excited about this book. Been meaning to read it for some time so imagine my delight when I spotted the blog tour and the chance to review it before it came out! I just had to take it! And in the end I quite loved this book, I flew through it. There were some parts that I didn’t quite like, but for most the good parts won.

We have two characters; Will and Talia. Will’s parts take place in the now, a world ruled by mocks. Talia’s parts first take place in the past, a world that was at war, a world where mocks were servants or looked at with distrust. Later on it merges with Will’s timeline. And that is when the true fun and excitement starts.

I was a bit confused by Talia’s behaviour. In the past parts we can clearly see that she is a princess, but she isn’t treating anyone wrongly (like so many others do). She is actually pretty fun, kick-ass, and I loved her there. I loved how she was kind towards mocks, Ailat especially. How she actually didn’t feel like being a princess that much, how she just wants to hug or talk to her dad normally. She was just a teenage girl with a crown. Plus I loved the fact that she could fly a figher plane with ease. My heart broke when she had to do that to her best friend. I wish that she could have whispered something to her friend, told her it wasn’t meant to be like this. That she was doing it to save Ailat.
However, the Talia in the now was just a totally different girl. I get that what happened traumatised her, but for some reason she started to also act like your stereotypical princess girl. Asking the mocks (Will and his crew) for all sorts of things (sandwiches and such), being disgusted that she had to help out, being a total bitch towards the crew. And also making so many stupid mistakes that almost cost them all their lives. It was like during that time she was frozen she also lost a few of her precious kick-ass braincells. I just found it such a shame as I really loved Talia of the before. :(
Thankfully, around the middle/near the end she slowly started to show more of those kick-assness again, and I saw that she was caring for the crew, for Will especially. The ending it was just the old Talia again, and I was so happy, so delighted. Welcome back, don’t leave us again!

Will was just a delightful character. He also didn’t have a good past, so where Talia is distrustful of mocks, he is distrustful of humans. I loved Will from the start, he was interesting, plus I was curious to see how he would grow. Would he be able to stand up for himself? Would he tell his brother and father to stuff it? And what about his growing attraction to Talia? Would something bloom between them? Sure, he made some stupid mistakes, but I can forgive him. There is so much manipulation, so many lies, it is hard to see what is good and what is the truth. Plus he just wanted something better for him and his crew.

Then there is the crew. At first I didn’t like Lux, but that girl just grew on me until she was one of my favourite characters. Followed by Tandy (I get that she was a holo, but dang that girl is just too awesome and feisty, I wish we could get a book about her), and then Leo and Jane.

Who the Queen was? Gee, I knew from the start who that was. Though I was also secretly hoping there would be a twist, something different from all the other books with the same idea. But no, so in the end I probably startled my neighbours when I shouted: “I KNEWWWWWWWW ITTTTTTT!!” when the “revelation” was there.

I did like the mocks and the fact they could jump out of their bodies into a new one. That must be pretty awesome, though I am not too sure if I am into living forever.

Big plus points to the cover, I just adore it to bits, it is so gorgeous.

There is tons of action, and the book is really fast-paced. You won’t be bored one moment while reading.

I would definitely recommend this book to all.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/
Profile Image for Seraphia.
1,712 reviews19 followers
January 2, 2018
Our Dark Stars by Audrey Grey and Krystal Wade is a science fiction story that takes place deep in the depths of space and follows the changing evolution of power and a young girl’s struggle to reclaim what was once hers. In this book we are introduced to Will. The year is 3731, and he believes that he has made a big find that will get him back into good graces with the Queen; so that he can reclaim what he believes is rightfully his. He has discovered something deep in the darkness of space, and the fact that it is guarded by mines, he believes it is truly worth something. Will’s crew simply wants to find something less dangerous, so that they can make some money and make repairs and restock. Will and his crew are mocks, artificial humans, but Will was once human. Then we are jumped back in time to 3631, and there we are introduced to Talia. Talia Starchaser is a princess preparing to be “sold” to prince as part of a way to establish strong alliances with another family. Talia’s family, the Starchasers, have ruled the Seven for generations. Right now, they are in the middle of a war with the mocks. A virus has spread through the mocks causing them to no longer be loyal to their masters. The mocks are rebelling. Talia has a mock herself, named Ailat. All the mocks have been tested for this virus, but Ailat is only kept from further investigation because Talia steps in with a hefty bribe. On the day of her engagement to this lesser prince, a terrible situation unfolds that throws all of Talia’s life into chaos and brings about an end that few saw coming.
Our Dark Stars is a unique story that will keep you engaged as it goes back and forth between Will, in his present, and Talia, in her present. The two storylines soon converge into one time after a major tragic event. Talia has no idea that so much time has passed since the last event that remembered, but things are dynamically different now. A shift has happened and the mocks are no longer the servants that they once were. The roles have been reversed. The characters are well done and engaging. I like that we get some glimpses into Will’s past and how he came to be the way that he is. Talia overall is a good character as well. She has several good qualities, though there are moments of where I wish that she had been more inquisitive sooner. I like how the authors give us different planets and environments to view and visit with the crew as they look for answers.
There isn’t much that I don’t like about this book. I was mildly disappointed when I learned that it wasn’t another book in the Shadow Fall series that I’ve been following by Audrey Grey, but this book is just as engaging. It’s interesting how the authors give us the mocks being rules by the humans who created them, to the humans being ruled and mistreated by their very own creations. The differences are both similar and yet dynamically different at the same time. There are some predictable elements to this story, unforeseen consequences the characters fail to see, and then there are some moments you don’t see coming until the pieces begin to fall into place.
For those who are fans of Audrey Grey, this is a book that I think that you will enjoy. The story starts off a bit slow, but it soon becomes engaging and interesting. I enjoy the dynamics between the characters of the crew and also of some of the side characters in the story as well. I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. I’m curious to see if there will be of this story to come.
Profile Image for Macy Klingerman.
255 reviews4 followers
March 5, 2018
Y'ALL. The first month of 2018 isn't even half over when I'm typing this, and I've already read one (well, two, but more on that later this week) of my absolute favorite reads of the year. 2018, Audrey Grey, and Krystal Wade have all blessed me.
First off, let's take a moment to appreciate that absolutely gorgeous cover. I know I've talked about my usual distaste for people on covers thing before, but I can't help but make heart eyes at this one. It's what drew me to this title to begin with, so major props to the cover designer. Now, I'll admit, the synopsis made me hesitate a bit. I'm not usually one for sci-fi, so I had to have a little internal debate on whether or not I should took a chance. I figured "2018, new year, new me, blah blah blah" and went for it. Shoutout to past me, because I didn't have any of the problems I usually run into when reading sci-fi.
If you're sci-fi hesitant like I was, rest assured that this isn't your run of the mill sci-fi. For one, it's not crazy dense with off the wall technologies and hard to understand worlds. The world building is still great, and you still very much feel like you're in space, with all of the good stuff that entails, but it's not too much. There wasn't a single moment where I felt overwhelmed or confused. The writing flows so nicely, and the pacing isn't too slow or too fast, so you'll be turning pages at a steady rate and devouring this one like I did.
Now, for the characters and the romance. I don't want to gush too much, but the romance aspect was done absolutely perfectly. There was angst, but not too much angst. I dig the whole "enemies to lovers" kind of deal, so I was automatically on board for it. As for the characters themselves, I felt like they all had very distinct voices and personalities. You get invested in their lives, and genuinely start to freak out (audibly squeal and flail) when they're in danger. I freaking love Will, but y'all know I always end up going for the rough around the edges boys, so that shouldn't shock you.
I won't ramble too much more. Just trust me when I say that you want to read this book. Expect to see this one pop up again in recommendations posts along the line. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Hannah L (Reviewer).
325 reviews44 followers
January 27, 2018
description
A lost kingdom, a hunted princess, androids, AIs, and killers. Princess Talia is lost in time and space. She is supposed to be dead, dead as her people, dead as her kingdom and dead as her family. Adrift in the universe, when she is finally saved, nobody knows who she is and the new galaxy is compleatly changed. Androids have taken over and humans are now their slaves, if they were even left alive. Talia has to fix this, she has to save her people and fix her mistake that launched it all. Intermixed with romance and adventure, Our Dark Stars tells a story that traverses time and the universe.
From the get go, the story jumps from the past to the present fairly frequently. It was a little jarring, making some parts of the story feel more like fluff to balance the past and present parts then anything. I found Talia to be an okay main character. She was not very unique, but she was in no way a badly written character. Story wise, the romance was pretty weak and the inter-character relations were also just meh. Nothing terrible, but nothing great either. I also noticed that there were many exciting ways the story could have gone that would have been mind blowing and exciting, but it ended up being a mostly predictable plot. That aside though, it was still pretty fun to read, and because of that, I give Our Dark Stars FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS!!!
description
Want more of me? Go to: http://thenotsopubliclibrary.blogspot.ca
Profile Image for KayCee K.
320 reviews93 followers
January 9, 2018
Yes, this is another space book! I'm kinda really just crazy for space books right now. (Haha) This crazy space story is a page-turner. I always wanted to know what would happen next. The world building is my favorite part of this book, the writing just paints this world with starts and action scenes.

Leo is my favorite characters. I enjoyed the story more whenever he was in the scenes. I don't know why he just lightings the story.

This story is great. I enjoyed the 'space life'. I do wish there was a little more about the technology used in this world. There is a little bit of love that never overpowered the story.

The push and pull between humans and mocks is what makes this book. The line between humans and mocks. And how the roles switch throughout the story makes it an interesting read. The main message I get from this read is that friendship and love will and can happen wherever, that it doesn't matter your skin or race.

If Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza and Amid Stars and Darkness by Chani Lynn Feener had a baby it would be something like Our Dark Stars.

I hope there is going to be a book two!

I received a NetGalley ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This doesn't in any way influence my opinion on it. So, this is a 100% honest review by me.
Profile Image for Samantha Fabris.
373 reviews22 followers
February 26, 2018
Space. Princess. Space ships. Ragtag crew. Robots. I mean, you had me at space.

This book is so much fun! Talia Starchaser, heir to the throne is left floating in space where she's discovered a hundred years later by mock capital Will Perault. Talia finds herself in a world where humans are now enslaved by the mocks (human like robots) that her people once enslaved. With the queen hunting her down, Talia must fight to survive and figure out her place in this new world.

There is so much fun space action, a good romance, and great characters. I didn't want to put this book down. I guessed the main plot twist pretty early in the book, but it didn't detract from the story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from these authors!

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Fafa's Book Corner.
510 reviews297 followers
January 22, 2019
Mini review:

I received this e-arc via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was a trainwreck. I was really looking forward to reading this. I generally enjoy sci-fi. I did not enjoy Will’s point of view at all. Talia was much better but that couldn’t save the book. I didn’t care for any of the characters except Talia. She was the only one that was tolerable.

It was action packed and a fast read I’ll give it that.

I will not be reading the next books. Do not recommend.
Profile Image for Bright Star.
388 reviews125 followers
January 15, 2018
I received a digital ARC copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Our Dark Stars was really a good fast-paced Sci-Fi! Obviously, it is not the book of the year but I enjoyed it anyway! We have spaaace, sassy characters, a bit of romance (even if it could have been developed and deepened better), action and plot twists! It has a conclusion (since it's a stand-alone) but if the authors want, they could write a sequel because there are some things left open. All in all, if you adore YA Sci-Fi, you don't want to miss this one!
Profile Image for Lacy.
620 reviews44 followers
March 8, 2018
I haven't read very much scifi lately and this was the perfect book to get me back into the genre. It reminded me of parts of Starflight and Defy the Stars. I can't wait to buy a physical copy!

ps please let there be a sequel 💖👸👨‍🚀
Profile Image for Janelle.
67 reviews63 followers
December 12, 2017
The Lunar Chronicles (Marisa Meyer) meets Firefly! I loved every word of this novel!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 216 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.