Jump to ratings and reviews

Classic Home Cooking

Classic Home Cooking picks up where Betty Crocker left off years ago. This cookbook includes more than 1,000 recipes illustrated in full-color with easy-to-follow directions and tips for beginner cooks. Each chapter starts with a color-coded index showing a photograph and description of each recipe, and divides recipes into categories according to the preparation and cooking time of each dish. Serving numbers, calorie counts, and recipe page numbers are also included. Chapters include: Hot & Chilled Soups; First Courses; Eggs & Cheese; Fish & Shellfish; Poultry and Game; Meat Dishes; Vegetarian Dishes; Pasta & Rice; Vegetables & Salads; Yeast Baking; Pies, Tarts, & Hot Desserts; Chilled Desserts; and Cakes & Quick Breads. For each recipe, there are helpful side bars on technique and boxes of "Cook's know-how." Generally, the dishes featured are modern updates of classic dishes from around the world. For example, a recipe for Bouillabaisse in the soups chapter explains the dish as the classic fish stew from Provence. The side bar illustrates how to make rouille (smashing garlic, whisking olive oil into mayonnaise, and seasoning with chili, lemon juice, and salt and pepper), a classic garlicky, chili-mayonnaise sauce served on the croutons that accompany the soup; the "Cook's know-how" feature details the types of fish included in the soup. From Thai Chicken Satays to All-American Strawberry Shortcake, Classic Home Cooking is an indispensable basic cookbook.

512 pages, Hardcover

First published September 9, 1995

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mary Berry

257 books215 followers
There are multiple authors in the Goodreads database with this name.

Mary Berry is an English food writer and television presenter. After being encouraged in domestic science classes at school, she went to college to study catering. She then moved to France at the age of 21 to study at Le Cordon Bleu school, before working in a number of cooking-related jobs.

She has published more than seventy cookery books (her first being The Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook in 1970) and hosted several television series for the BBC and Thames Television. Berry is an occasional contributor to Woman's Hour and Saturday Kitchen. She has been a judge on the BBC One (originally BBC Two) television programme The Great British Bake Off since its launch in 2010.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Sara.
881 reviews4 followers
July 7, 2020
A book aimed at home chefs but, as it was originally a British publication, a bit more interesting! A good classic book with solid recipes.
Profile Image for Caitlin.
Author 9 books66 followers
March 27, 2017
This cookbook is a compendium with a little bit of everything. Great for variety--I've made only a tiny fraction of the recipes in this book. Took a star off for the cinnamon buns. Horrible recipe. The dough came out dry and never rose; I'm guessing the yeast didn't get enough water. Add about 20% extra moisture in the form of milk and eggs if you make it!

EDITED 3/27/17: I've downgraded this to three stars because there are a few too many recipes that it seems the authors didn't actually TEST before putting them in the book. Case in point: the cheese sausages recipe on page 295, which I just tried to make, needs roughly double the amount of eggs called for (4 rather than 2) for the mixture to be remotely workable. As it is, I could only get it to form balls, not the sausages the recipe is NAMED AFTER. Sorry for the all caps, but I'm pissed. When I follow a recipe to the letter I expect the dish to turn out as promised. That has not been the case three times now.

You'll notice with this and the cinnamon buns the issue was not enough liquid in the recipe. If you use this cookbook, pay attention to that and don't be afraid to add milk or eggs when it looks like things are too dry.

TL;DR Some of the recipes in this cookbook are great; others need modification to work, which is disappointing in a cookbook.
Profile Image for Deb.
1,226 reviews56 followers
September 24, 2010
Just pulled this off the shelf for the Pots Au Chocolat recipe and remembered how helpful this huge "little bit of everything" book was to me when I really started getting into cooking. ;-)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.