Jump to ratings and reviews

You Deserve Each Other

When your nemesis also happens to be your fiancé, happily ever after becomes a lot more complicated in this wickedly funny, lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers romantic comedy debut.

Naomi Westfield has the perfect fiancé: Nicholas Rose holds doors open for her, remembers her restaurant orders, and comes from the kind of upstanding society family any bride would love to be a part of. They never fight. They're preparing for their lavish wedding that's three months away. And she is miserably and utterly sick of him.

Naomi wants out, but there's a catch: whoever ends the engagement will have to foot the nonrefundable wedding bill. When Naomi discovers that Nicholas, too, has been feigning contentment, the two of them go head-to-head in a battle of pranks, sabotage, and all-out emotional warfare.

But with the countdown looming to the wedding that may or may not come to pass, Naomi finds her resolve slipping. Because now that they have nothing to lose, they're finally being themselves--and having fun with the last person they expect: each other.

368 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 7, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Hogle

5 books2,934 followers
A mom of three in southern Ohio, Sarah Hogle spends her free time planning weird pranks and hoping for a haunted castle to call her own. She is the author of You Deserve Each Other.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5,611 (6%)
1 star
2,015 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 15,910 reviews
Profile Image for Nilufer Ozmekik.
2,132 reviews39.3k followers
November 15, 2022
Four let’s make a party to congratulate we have a new evil-genius, sarcastic writer in the town who knows how to write a great mean romantic comedy stars!!!

I think promoting this book as a great choice for the fans of “Hating Games” might be wrong. Only thing there is similar with Sally Thorne’s book is “HATING”part. The characters are not colleagues. This is not slow burn enemies to lovers story. They’re already engaged. This could be best defined as friends-lovers-enemies-friends-again lovers story. Because the chronology of the couple’s relationship developed as I summarized.

At first the book a little irritated me. Because both characters acted like spoiled toddlers, immature brats who were evil minds trying so hard to sabotage each other or they were mostly each other’s throats! Sometimes I wanted to put duct tapes on their mouths and scold them to learn act like real grown-ups.

Let me introduce you Naomi who is about to lose her job, has limited connection with her family. She is making A,B,C,D plans for her life but she doesn’t get any action. And her fiancée, our hero, Nicholas, charming, successful but also a little arrogant, snob, annoying and truly mother’s boy.
Yessss, we had a MOTHER-IN LAW-ZILLA OR MOMAZILLA ALERT! Deborah, the evil queens of mother-in laws is quiet mash-up of Miranda Presley( Meryl Streep’s Devil Wears Prada character), Mary Louise Wright ( Meryl Streep’s Big Little Lies character), Eleanor Shaw ( Meryl Streep’s Manchurian Candidate character)! Okay she’s definitely evil version of Meryl Streep!

SO I was about to give two stars to this book! Because first 100 pages I hate the guts of the characters. Both of them were definition of shining, rising “DOUCHEBAGS” I found it ridiculous their decision to stay together. If they hated each other so much and said so many things to ruin what they had before, they should take time off or begin to communicate about what’s happening to them.

Playing games, working on multiple creative pranks might look like fun but they didn’t do anything about the elephant in their living room that not only broke all the valuable, fragile things but also is about to destroy their relationship.

Naomi seemed like too much coward to get an important decision about her life and Nicholas seemed like too stubborn to end things with her. But I have to admit, the pranks they’ve orchestrated were so entertaining.

Few pages later you began to root for Nicholas who was really trying to save their relationship. Without asking Naomi, buying a new house and making decisions about their lives seemed like a wrong move. But later we realized he did the right thing. Because he didn’t only buy a house, he also bought a place they could become a couple who still love each other and make things work.

THINGS MADE ME RAISE MY STAR POINTS:
- The second half of the book the couple made peace and realized the reasons why they fell in love with each other and they learned from their mistakes and turned into PARTNERS IN CRIME.
- The part how they met made me smile too much!

So yes, I had a little bad start but the witty, entertaining writing mesmerized me. I laughed so much especially the part Naomi and Nicholas’ hiding behind the closed door not to invite Deborah inside their house and telling their excuses from alien abduction to Nicholas’ real identity as Shia LaBeouf!

I had great time with this debut novel. So happy I lately meet with fantastic new writers.

Special thanks to Putnam and NetGalley for sharing this amazing ARC COPY with me as exchange my honest review.

blog
instagram
facebook
twitter
Profile Image for emma.
1,822 reviews45.7k followers
September 28, 2022
The best things in the world are as follows:
- when you perfectly toast a bagel. I mean we all know how easy it is to underdo that bad boy so it’s still a weird squishy bread circle or even more likely, burn that baby till it’s glorified charcoal but when you really find that sweet spot...(chef’s kiss)
- baking cookies and then eating them while they’re still warm, and then you eat a whole tray because if you made them they don’t count as caloric
- genuine, believable enemies to lovers where you really feel them fall in love and also it’s funny and also everything is perfect.

Aka this book.

Because I am extremely picky about books and am disappointed by most of what I read, I like to do this very adorable and charming thing where when I like one thing, I assume I will like everything that is similar to it.

I very much enjoyed The Hating Game (possibly to an extent in which I compared myself both to a jack o’lantern and a gif from Disney’s Tangled in my review, I don’t know, who’s to say), and so I assumed I would like every rom-com. Especially ones that were actually funny.

Especially-especially of the enemies to lovers.

And, like the new Star Wars movie and orange-flavored Skittles and every other disappointing thing, that was not to be.

But finally, FINALLY, my suffering has been rewarded.

Because...dare I say it…

This book is better than The Hating Game.

I KNOW.

Look at us. Hey! Look at us. Who would’ve thought?

Not me.

This is The Hating Game in terms of tropes and plot and the overall yay-falling-in-love feeling it gives off, but with better characters. And more humor.

GOD. This is so funny it doesn’t make sense. Since when are books funny? When was the last time I truly laughed at a book and I wasn’t laughing out of all the anger and hatred in my cold dark soul?

Not sure. Well before this, I’ll tell you that.

But it wasn’t just a barrel of laughs my friends. It also made my heart hurt, but in the good emotional way where you’re like, oh my god...fools...just love each other...kiss already...except also don’t because the drama and conflict and miscommunication and will-they-won’t-they (they will) is the fun part.

Basically what I’m saying is: I don’t know how to love anything without being obsessed with it, and I already want to read this eleven more times.

Bottom line: I didn’t play Animal Crossing for this! ANIMAL CROSSING!!!

reread 3 update

works every time.

desperately trying to stave off post-sarah hogle release depression with lily

reread 2 update

serotonin: peaking

buddy (re)read with my taste twin and the one who has to cave to peer pressure

reread 1 update

simply rereading this so i can write a kickass review and not because i've been searching for a reason

pre-review

please don't tell anyone i burst into tears at the gushy part of this book. it'll ruin my bad-boy image.

review to come / POSSIBLY FIVE STARS

tbr review

just saw this quote from this book: “I’m a miserable cynic (a newer development) and a dreamy romantic (always have been), and it’s such a terrible combination that I don’t know how to tolerate myself” and instantly started reading it because girl if that ain't me
Profile Image for Kat.
260 reviews79.2k followers
September 23, 2020
i appreciate the message that this story provides about putting work into your relationship and going the extra mile for your partner. plus, some of the last 30% was pretty cute.

BUT

this couple was...hard to care about. rather than the flirty, snappy banter that i associate with enemies to lovers; naomi and nicholas spent much of this book being childish, manipulative, and vindictive towards each other. they fucked around and pushed boundaries instead of just having a conversation about the problems in their relationship (which i get is realistic sometimes, but i am personally not a fan of stories that hinge on miscommunication ALONE). and once things improved, i was unable to suspend my disbelief that they would turn around as quickly as they did.
Profile Image for  Teodora .
288 reviews1,598 followers
February 11, 2023
5/5 "this book cracked me up" ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺
description

Not having any idea what this whole book was about except for the few exciting prompts that the synopsis promised, I dove head-first into it and boy, that was an experience I wasn’t expecting.

I mean, yeah, by now I realised that enemies-to-lovers tropes are my jam, but lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers plot with insanely good comedy? Sweet baby Jesus, YES.

Given the fact that this was my fifth rom-com novel of the week, I thought I was going to be kind of passive about it but honestly, it was one of the best rom-coms I’ve ever read and I don’t exaggerate when I say that I put it on my “Favourite Books” shelf because I might consider re-reading it someday.

This is how much I enjoy it.

description

The whole plot felt somehow fresh.
It started when Naomi and Nicholas were at the beginning of their relationship and everything was candy floss and unicorns. You know, the usual “I’m so in love with this perfect and gorgeous person omg I can’t believe how lucky I am” shit. Which is cute, but this is how rom-coms usually end, not start with.

The rest of the book until at least the half of it it’s what happens after two years of relationship and, whoopsie, an engagement. Finally, I get to see how love dies in a romance book! Thank the divinity.

Naomi hates Nicholas with a passion. With two passions, actually, because she has to deal with his Mummy Dearest too.

Just picture it, Nicholas is Mummy’s adult boy, the Perfect Son™ who gets out of his way to please his parents (who are some sort of ungrateful snobs, btw) and he always puts Naomi on the second place just because she is not assertive enough to rub it in his face.

At first, I honestly hated both Nicholas and his mother (Deborah, Deb for friends *wink wink*) and I had this vivid image in my head of a perfectly shaped hoof on either of their faces because boy, they deserved a donkey-kick in their mouths. (Nicholas is a dentist so, pun definitely intended).

Nicholas was being a total pig with Naomi and by the time she realised that, Hurricane Naomi was unleashed. And it felt so damn good. She hated him and she wanted nothing more than make his life a living hell until he, eventually, called the wedding off. But the thing is, two could play this game and so Nicholas launched in this little war of marriage, not letting Naomi have her way.

I honestly loved the comedy in this. I haven’t laughed like that in such a long time it felt like aeons. But this book was so witty with words that I couldn’t help but crack up every five pages. The banter is just amazing.

description

The second half of the book was extremely sweet – it was a journey of discovering lost feelings and learning how to fell in love all over again. It was tender and fun and lovable and nerdy and delicious and it felt like that childhood blanket that you forgot about but when you found it again and held it tight to your chest it brought back all the good times.

I am so happy I picked up this book because it was the best combination of comedy and romance – one of the most balanced novels of this genre that I’ve ever come across.

To me, this book felt more like an actual film, where I could see perfectly with my mind’s eye everything I was reading. To me, it was like that comfortable romantic comedy that one watches over and over again and never gets tired of because it feels somehow safe and true.

I am definitely impressed and I am – for sure – going to re-read this at least once.
Profile Image for jessica.
2,509 reviews31k followers
April 9, 2020
you know the feeling when you discover a new trope, you love it, and now you want to read all the books that have it? thats me right now. this whole ‘refalling back in love’ theme is both the cause and cure for my heart arrhythmias.

seriously, have i been living under a rock? why is this trope not more popular? the whole process of two people trying to remember why they fell in love with each other can go in so many good directions. in the case of this novel, its cute and fun and flirty and touching.

i loved the banter between naomi and nicholas. it made me so sad when they fought because of just how good they are together. i love the how they rekindled their friendship and saw what they had was worth sacrifice and fighting for.

i really enjoyed this and i am looking forward to what SH puts out next!

4 stars
Profile Image for Anne.
3,868 reviews69.2k followers
July 11, 2022
I'm not sure I've ever laughed that hard while reading a book.
Ever.
Like, out loud with tears running down my face. Not even kidding a little bit.
Ok, and that may be because the timing on this was nigh on perfect. I was very much in the mood to Carole Baskin my husband when I came across this book, and it hit me directly in the funnybone.

description

See, my spouse & I were at the time going several rounds over this hideous thing he did to our mailbox after a few too many Margaritas.
He got this brilliant idea to use these rocks he found on the side of the road, some ratty sort of half-dead grass plant, and CACTUS that (I'm assuming) he also found on the side of the road. Then he stuffed all of his redneck plants into the ground and dug up the surrounding grass at some sort of an off-kilter angle and plopped his nasty roadside rocks all around my poor mailbox.
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT?!

description

I was so mad I kept getting up that night to peer angrily out the window at it. Eventually, I stomped downstairs and slept on the couch.
For THREE days.

description

Each morning I would put on a pot of coffee and make my way upstairs while he was getting ready for work, just so that I could Google things in front of him like this:
Cute Mailbox Landscaping.
The Proper Way to Landscape Your Mailbox.
How Not To Look Like a Hillbilly When Landscaping Your Mailbox.
How to Fix Fucked Up Mailbox Landscaping.

My vacation to the sofa pinched something in my spine, causing my leg to tingle unpleasantly for days afterward. In fact, I'm still revving up the heating pad at night to make up for sleeping on that caved-in monstrosity that my children have ruined with their inability to sit down on anything gently.
And yet, even with the knowledge that my big toe and right ass-cheek will likely continue to have the odd twinge for the next few weeks, I'd still sanctimoniously snatch up my pillow and loudly make my way downstairs.
Why?

Because I wore him down!
Was there ever a doubt in your mind?
And right now when I look out my window and peer at my mailbox, there's a nice set of pavers surrounding some colorful bushes and tasteful plants accented with white rock.

description

Here's how it went down:
7am Day 3
Him: So. What? Are you saying you don't like what I did to the mailbox?
Me:
description

Him: Fine then. I guess I'll just go out and move it all BEFORE I GO TO WORK THIS MORNING.
*pauses for me to tell him not to trouble himself*
Me:

Him:

*happy sigh*
Gone are the half-dead sprigs of roadside weeds. Gone are the mismatched rocks thrown haphazardly in an off-centered half circle. Gone are the torn clumps of cactus pushed into the ground with all the finesse of a drunken toddler.
Although the mailbox itself still tilts slightly to the left because he ran it over with the U-Haul on the day we moved in. This was apparently my fault, though, because I had parked my car in such a way that it obscured his field of view. Whatthefuckever.
Idiot.

description

I said all that to say this, the level of gleeful pettiness in this book is something that you can only have between two people who realize they are financially & socially trapped together - in my case, till death do us part. These two were only engaged and already they were feeling the pinch!
Now add 20 years to that...

description

At some point, every part of a couple's life becomes unbelievably twisted together. What should be comforting can start to chafe, and then the quiet realization sets in that you two are fucking stuck together. You can't leave because then you're the asshole that left. You can kiss your mutual friends goodbye because they are inevitably going to side with your poor discarded ex.
Also, you usually get stuck footing the bill for shit if you leave.

BUT.
If you get the other one to pull the plug on the life support? Well, then you can skip-a-dee-doo-da right out the door free and clear as the injured party!

description

How exactly do you go about getting someone to leave you once you realize that they have the same plan in mind?
That is the story You Deserve Each Other is telling.
The insidious future mother-in-law, the preppy snob of a fiancee, the feelings of annoyance mingled with embarrassment...

description

And when our hilarious heroine pulls off her gloves and throws away all of her fucks it turns into a giant game of relationship chicken.
I honestly can't believe this was Sarah Hogle's debut book. How? This woman is legitimately so funny she may be responsible for saving my husband's life.

description

Instead of feeding him to a tiger, I just went and read a little more of this book. In fact, I'm buying the book so the next time he pulls something stupid (and he will) I will have something to do with my hands other than choke the life out of him.
It's a win-win situation!

Highly Recommended!

PS - I'm looking for a reasonably priced meat grinder.
Asking for a friend.

2021 Audiobook Review
I listened to the audiobook this time around because I saw that my library purchased a copy. I ran across it accidentally and was soooo excited. I wasn't even planning a re-read any time soon, but I couldn't pass this up. You know how a funny narrator can make even a mildly funny book hilarious by adding extra inflections and whatnot?
Yeah.
Well, this narrator wasn't bad, but let's just say it was funnier when I read it myself. It was still a cute book, but I wouldn't shell out the extra $$ for the audiobook.

Publisher: Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group
Edition: Unabridged
Taylor Meskimen - Narrator
Profile Image for Christy.
3,758 reviews32k followers
September 18, 2020
5 stars

photo 6A30D0D7-95BB-4FCD-B0BA-FC5A4BE7A67C_zpssvz2xjrv.jpg

You Deserve Each Other is Sarah Hogle's debut novel and it blew me I away! I haven't laughed so hard or felt so much while reading in quiet a while. Definitely one of the best books I've read this year.

Naomi is in a rut. She's engaged, but half the time she doesn't even know if she wants to be with her fiancé anymore. Too bad the wedding planning is so far along, or else she'd probably call it quits. Her mother-in-law to be is a nightmare and she's finding it hard to tell if her fiancé even cares. Eventually, they get in this war of sorts. Pranks ensue and all bets are off. And let me tell you, it's a wild ride. I'm not sure if I've ever had this much fun reading a book before.
We already know each others worst. We've battled right through it and come out the other side unbreakable.

Naomi and Nicholas... I couldn't tell you which one I loved more. At the start of the book I couldn't tell if I would like Nicholas or not but he grew on me and I fell hard. Naomi is fierce, strong, and a take no crap heroine. Nicholas seems like a weaker hero and a bit of a mama's boy at first, but the second half of the book, boy did he shine. He showed Naomi through his actions that she was his priority and I laughed and swooned so hard.

This story captivated me from the start. I love when a book can keep me fully engaged, and this did just that. The characters are endearing and their back and forth was top notch. Plus, the writing was strong and witty. I couldn't put this one down. It was emotional, hilarious, sweet, fun, and just everything I wanted.

This book was truly fantastic and I couldn't have loved it more. The enemies to lovers, the banter, and the romance... sigh. It was perfect for me. I'll be reading whatever else this author rights. I have a feeling that this will be my favorite debut of the year and maybe even my favorite book. I give this the highest of 5 stars and can't recommend it enough!
Profile Image for Arini.
696 reviews1,549 followers
May 27, 2021

2.5 Stars

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the enemies to lovers trope—of which I pride myself in being a true fan—is SUPERIOR. You Deserve Each Other takes the ‘hating you to loving you’ debacle to the NEXT LEVEL. It’s glowing with bitterness that only a special someone (who’s not me) can absorb. I’m not overstating when I say I’m tremendously devastated by how much of a disappointment this book is.

Nicholas and Naomi are engaged. But they’re having a not so little trouble in paradise.

“All I know is that a few months ago I woke up from a very long sleep and discovered I was engaged to someone I can barely stand.”

The two of them decided that the best way to get out of the situation is to lock themselves in a battle of wills where one voluntarily goes the extra mile to be OBNOXIOUSLY DESPICABLE to the other. The endgame is to see which one of them will raise the white flag first. Ikr, how very mature of them!

“My engagement to Nicholas Rose is a game of chicken.”

From here on out, what shall be the pettiest, nastiest, and most childish ‘pranks and emotional warfare’ to ever go down in history ensues.

I’m genuinely confounded. How anyone thinks this book is fun and entertaining is beyond me. These two prideful sons of bitches are NOT bantering, let alone communicating—they don’t have that word in their vocabulary. They are BICKERING, and it’s not funny nor it is sexy. I could probably accept it if the delivery had come off sounding playful, teasing, and held the underlying pretext of affection.

But that is not the case.

The words that run out of their mouths are plain offensive, rude, and condescending. Idk, maybe I need a medical check up with Dr. (insert any world famous comedian) to see if there’s something wrong with my sense of humor, but I COULD NOT for the life of me STAND these two. Furthermore, Naomi’s cynicism is really not helping.

I’ve never wanted to STRANGLE someone as much as I did her. I hated that everytime Nick tried to communicate his feelings, she only belittled him and turned whatever he said against him to make herself the victim. I’d been understanding of her predicament, but any sympathy I had for her was gone, PUFF! Goodbye, consider yourself CANCELED!

But worry not!
The book did get BETTER.
For everyone else at least.

There are a number of sweet re-falling back in love moments in the second half. The problem is, the first half SCARRED me so deep I had a PTSD. Everytime I found myself swooning, smiling, blushing, and laughing under my breath over the adorable things these two fools did , I chided myself for feeling anything but contempt.

I’m not a relationship expert, but I do believe that what these two are going through is not uncommon. What’s implausible to me is how any real couple can fall back in love with their significant other by purposefully being mean spirited, stubborn, vengeful, and vindictive to each other. And not in a love disguised or misunderstood as hate kind of way.

I can kinda see Nick’s intention has always been to save the relationship. Naomi’s is the opposite because she’s such a cynic. Maybe it’s enough that one person is fighting for both. But we didn’t even get Nick’s POV. And inside Naomi’s head, there was too much HATE and NEGATIVITY that I just didn’t buy what this book was selling me. I don’t get this book, and I’m okay with it. If not, maybe a little hurt.

(Read as an Audiobook)
Profile Image for Warda.
1,123 reviews17.7k followers
April 12, 2022
I woke up thinking about this book this morning and already wanting to reread and that alone warrants it a 5 star. It’s safe to say I am obsessed with it.

But if you need reasons to pick it up then I have some, I guess. This is generally a trope that works for me. I enjoy second-chance love stories. I enjoy seeing what makes a couple fall in love again, or in this case, save their relationship as well.
There are always a whole load of factors that come into play when a relationship almost breaks down. And whilst this story covered that up with humour, sarcasm and pettiness which I highly enjoyed, the dislike between them was still palpable. To the point where I had doubts these two characters would make their relationship work. I didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But then it gets to a point where they’ve had enough and fighting becomes exhausting and we get exposed to these glimpses of vulnerability and tenderness - which made me choke up a bit - and makes them remember why they fell for one another. And had they communicated from the beginning and boundaries been set, it could’ve all been avoided.

However choosing to be open with someone isn’t always that easy. I always dislike it when characters get questioned about why they couldn’t communicate their feelings. It doesn’t come naturally to most people. Being vulnerable isn’t something that is taught and frankly, is tough as fuck. Especially when you’ve already feel like you’ve been dismissed several times. But they chose to make it work.

All in all, every part of this story clicked for me. They formed and defined their own family, they chose to work hard at their relationship again and through all of that, it made their relationship all the more better than when they initially got together. They became a team.

———————

GIVE. ME. THIS. BOOK!!!!
Profile Image for pauline.
123 reviews21.1k followers
April 2, 2022
—MARCH ‘22 REVIEW—

THIS IS MY SECOND TIME READING IT AND WOOOOOW, it’s even better than the first time.

It’s not just the humor and the hijinks and the love between them, but ALSO THE HATE. And not just in an “enemies to lovers” kind of way, but seeing and feeling the struggle in their relationship and seeing them come full circle is so satisfying and beautiful to read about.

I genuinely love the issues they have in the beginning. I love that they lost sight of themselves and their love for each other. I love that they played chicken in their relationship. That Naomi doubted so many parts about herself. Every bit of it felt so real and raw to me and I think what makes me love it even more is the fact that I’ve felt that way before!! Both in being in a relationship with someone else and with myself. And reading about it with a dose of lightness and humor makes it a story that sticks with me.

Is me relating to the book a large factor in why I love this book so much?? Yes… probably. But take that away and the same thing stands to be true: THIS WAS JUST SUCH A WONDERFUL BOOK ALL AROUND!! You won’t regret it, 1,000% recommend.

It’s hilarious, it’s witty, it’s romantic. I found myself laughing out loud in so many parts because Naomi delivers her lines so well. None of it felt forced. It wasn’t cringy to read for me. You get to see her go a little unhinged and she speaks out loud all of my thoughts 😂

Discovering the little, but significant things they do for each other and reading about how they come to appreciate that themselves makes me wanna fall in love all over again.

Reading it for the first time was an absolute treat.
Reading it again for the second time WAS EVEN BETTER.
Maybe I’ll come back a third time later this year 🤪

It’s a comfort read. I just feel so happy and at ease in this book and I hope you find some semblance of this when you read it! I can pick up this book at any time and find comfort in it. It’s probably unhealthy to be this obsessed with a book!! It’s honestly hard to flip through and enjoy segments because it just makes me wanna reread it all over again.

Side note: I hate falling in love with books because how the fuck am I supposed to move on?!?!

I’m supposed to just pick up another book and… read?! 😫 NO THANKS

—JULY ‘21 REVIEW—

Under 4 star average??? STOP IT.

This was phenomenal for me. It’s the perfect blend of romcom and I also thoroughly enjoyed the internal monologue from Naomi. Learning how she felt and all of her personal insecurities 😩 It just made me love her even more.

Nicholas is SOOOO sweet. He remembers everything about her, everything she likes, and he’s so proactive in making them work as a couple.

You get to experience and feel the 360 of their relationship and wghrddslkdnc GODDAMN IT. One of my favorite comfort reads now.

5 out of 5. 10 out of 10. HIGHLY RECOMMEND I loved it so much😩❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥
Profile Image for ✨ A ✨ .
423 reviews1,634 followers
August 15, 2022
First Read June 2020

Thank you to Sarah Hogle for blessing 2020 with my new favourite comfort book. It's been days since I've finished this one and I'm not gonna lie-I'm having serious withdrawals.

“Enjoy your Thanksgiving!” he calls over his shoulder.
“You two are assholes!” she calls back. “You deserve each other.”
I send her a thumbs-up. “Thanks!”

Naomi and Nicholas are that perfect couple. The one who everyone envies. The one who's sickeningly cute instagram posts make you hate and love them at the same time.

What started out as love has slowly turned into resentment, Naomi is tired of faking happiness, because in a few months time they will be walking down the isle and Naomi has to figure out a way to back out of this engagement without it seeming her fault. Because she knows that if she's the one to break it off — Nicholas's controlling mother will make sure she pays the extensive and nonrefundable wedding bill.

Much to Naomi's surprise, it seems Nicholas has been ‘faking happy’ too. Trying to push her away so that he doesn't have to end their engagement.

And so commences a war of pranks and sabotage between two stubborn people.

When I’m in the bathroom, he orders me a Dr Pepper, which he knows is my favorite.

Before we leave, I wipe all the crumbs and used napkins from the table onto our plates and stack them, which I know he appreciates because he tries to be helpful to the busboys.

When we get back out to the car, we plot how to ruin each other’s lives.

Okay so everyone was right about this being like The Hating Game. Sarah Hogle wrote Naomi in a similar style that Sally Thorne wrote Lucy — with rambling inner monologues and crazy exaggerated thoughts.

Please don't think I'm complaining. I. LOVED. IT. I was laughing so much while reading this book, I had a permanent smile on my face! The pranks, the pettiness — were top notch. I found myself reading right through the night laughing at the juvenile antics of both Naomi and Nicholas, it was endlessly entertaining!

Let's talk about the lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers ( or does love-to-hate-to-love fit better? Idk) trope. I have come across this trope many times before. It's quite popular as it usually goes hand in hand with the ‘second chance romance’ trope. But none other was as good as this one.

What I loved most was the growth! In between the pranks you get the sense that neither of them has ever been real with the other. When both Naomi and Nicholas start to let their guard down bit by bit and begin reflecting on their own contribution to the problems of their relationship. They've both been faking perfect and it was lovely to see them both rediscover the other.

I inadvertently let him in to see the ugly parts but instead of running away like I’d counted on him to do, he wrapped his arms around all of that ugliness and didn’t let go.

They go from hating each other, to becoming friends and a team. It was so beautiful.

If I'm being completely honest, both characters came off a bit annoying in the beginning with how immature they can be but they grew on me and I love them to pieces!

I wish we had some Nicholas POV, that would have been a great insight to have.

The next time I fall into a reading slump you can bet that this is the book I'll be picking up for a reread!!

Second Read October 2020

Just as good as the first time! I listened to the audiobook this round and it took some time getting used to the narrator. I think because I already loved the book so much the narrator didn't spoil the experience for me.

Rereading this just made me even more excited for future works from Sarah Hogle!!

This won't be the last time I reread this book.

innitial reaction

The funny thing is that I received an ARC of this book a long time ago and I just...I didn't read it? I forgot? What a damn fool I was.

I finished this at 3AM and it was the first thing I thought about when I woke up a couple hours later. Will I reread? Most definitely.

___
My good friends May and Warda told me this is similar in style to The Hating Game ( which I have read 4 times and am complete trash for). I haven't read a romance since March (I know, i know wtf right?!) and I'm overdue for some feels!!
Profile Image for Chelsea (chelseadolling reads).
1,474 reviews19.2k followers
November 23, 2022
Re-read 11/22/22: Naomi is unhinged and I am fucking obsessed with her lmao. Upping my rating from a 4 to a 5 bc this was an absolute DELIGHT.

Original read 4/7/20: This book was an absolute delight. If you're looking for a true NEMESIS to lovers situation, look no further. I haven't seen this much true angst since The Hating Game and trust me when I say I was LIVING FOR IT. This book was full of exactly the kind of lighthearted sass that I needed this week and I had SO MUCH FUN reading it. 10/10 do recommend.
Profile Image for Carol Vickers.
149 reviews64 followers
February 10, 2023
FABULOUS!! Hands down my favorite rom-com EVER!! I cannot recommend this book enough!! I have never laughed so hard while reading a book. 😂 It has your lovers to enemies to lovers, hilarious banter and romance. This is a book I could read over and over again!! Yes, I love it that much!💜💜

Naomi and Nicholas are picture perfect on social media but NOT so much in real life. They are engaged and neither one wants to be the person to call off the wedding because the prenup states that whoever does will have to pay for the nonrefundable wedding bill.

I love how this is a story about how to make a relationship last. It was so beautiful to see the growth they both went through and how they learned to be friends and a team. Such a relatable and sweet love story. I highly recommend this book! 💗💗💗💗💗⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Profile Image for theburqaavenger➹.
123 reviews520 followers
September 23, 2022
dnf @ chapter 13

Yaaaaaasssssssssssss dis bitch done. I'm not gonna complete it. nope nope nope nope nope nope NOPE. This was stupid and it tried to steal my brain cells. My brain cells!!!!
I didn't complete this book. So i shouldn't be writing a review/giving it one star but i tried my dudes i tried.
Everyone is on gr like:

So i thought i'd give this chance. But i should have known it was stupid because hey wasn't this for the fans of The Hating Game?...........which i hated (of course)

*sighs*

Let's rant
● This is me@this book:
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

● So the premise promises (say that five times fast!) that you will read about two grown ups playing obnoxious jokes at each other. Right? But that is not the reality. It's not playful, teasing or sexy. They are two prideful BITCHES WHO ARE RUDE, CYNICAL AND CONDESCENDING.

● I could not for the life of me stand these two.
● Every time Nicholas tries to convey his feelings Naomi laughs in his face it's like she can't even listen to him.
● And Nicholas is the same!
● Naomi is just so, so awful and self-centered. She spent the early days of her relationship with Nicholas lying to him and then got mad when he thought that’s who she was.
● And Nicholas is an effing douche bag.
● + it was boring@infinity.

● They should not be married. They should not get together. They should go to a psychiatrist and he should put them both in a mental hospital. That's what they deserve.
● I might have finished this bix but i know that they will get together in the end of book. SERIOUSLY? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THESE TWO BIXES CANNOT GET TOGETHER.
● Plus i bravely pretended this published novel did not use "Lol" as a sentence in the narrative and soldiered on so where are THE 100000000000 POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR?

● And did i mention how boring it was? Jeez i can play better pranks then them.
● and everyone likes it.
● why?
● why?
● WHY?
● w
● h
● y
● ?

● blah blah blah blah blah
● He is pretty but awful and o m g he gave me flowers but he is awful and o m g he is asking me too stand with him but he is awful and o m g he bought a house but he is awful and o m g he saved me (in that car scene whatever) but he is awful and wtf?
● and they are like male female versions of each other! They are literally a carbon copy of each other.

Dear Hospital,

I know you are very very busy now-a-days but pleaseeeeeee listen to me. So there are two people who don't know that there are psychiatrists in this world.

Can you please make your employees send them pamphlets so they are enlightened? Thankyou. They live at House no. Stupidity 101.

Bye bye.

● *yawns*
● This book seriously needs-

● yup.
● I am going to go to my alien mom and dad and while i am on the spaceship i will throw this book. Bye bix.

__________________________________
Update
I am this close to killing someone.

SO ANGRY ...
┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Even better ...
┻━┻ ︵ ¯\ (ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

Or maybe ...
(╯°□°)╯︵( .o.)

______________________________
“I’m a miserable cynic (a newer development) and a dreamy romantic (always have been), and it’s such a terrible combination that I don’t know how to tolerate myself.”

This is so me. I am going to postpone reading Neuromancer so I can read this and IT BETTER BE WORTH IT!

Buddy read with Stars Eternal, Night Triumphant, Tam tam and the nicest person a.k.a Az. May we all come out of this BR alive.
Profile Image for Angelica.
805 reviews1,068 followers
August 28, 2020
I read this book three times in one week. I think that should tell you something. I hope that something is: PICK UP THIS BOOK!!!

This book is marketed for fans of The Hating Game by Sally Thorne.

And they are so right because this book is like The Hating Game turned up to eleven! Naomi and Nicholas were hilarious in their efforts to mess with each other. The length they went to were both juvenile and petty and I loved every second of it!

Mixed in with all their pranks and not so subtle jabs at each other, it is very obvious that the two still do care for each other and that was probably the best part. They knew all of each other's weak spots and used every advantage at their disposal, all while somehow remaining amicable enough to coinhabit.

I think the following passage describes their relationship best of all:

"When I'm in the bathroom, he orders me a Dr. Pepper, which he knows is my favorite.

Before we leave, I wipe all the crumbs onto our plates and stack them, which I know he appreciates because he tries to be helpful with the busboys.

When we get back out to the car, we plot how to ruin each other's lives."

Throughout the book there are a lot of arguments, some of them petty and some of them valid. There is lots of family drama and character growth.

But there was also the underlying romance that grew throughout it all.

Naomi and Nicholas were great to read about. I loved their antics, but more than that I loved the complexity of their relationships. They love so much about each other and yet don't actually like who the other is, or rather, who the other has become over time. They are trying to figure themselves, and each other, out and that was the best part of the book. I loved seeing their journey to being people who they themselves, and the other, both love.

I did originally give this book four stars and it's because I have to admit, the characters are kind of annoying at first. They act like spoiled brats. They barely tolerate each other and acted as if they were justified in their behavior while the other was obviously wrong.  Naomi is whiny and self-absorbed. Nicholas is an arrogant momma's boy. That does change as the book progresses and it was something I sort of overlooked in my rereadings since I knew what went down later.

Still, I don't doubt that I will probably be rereading this book yet again in the future.

If you're a fan of The Hating Game, I highly recommend this one. And if you haven't read The Hating Game, then I recommend this even more. If you're one of the few who hated it, then maybe this won't be for you, but also, I say give it a shot.

All of that said, if you simply like great and hilarious and well written contemporary romances, then this is the book for you.

I can't wait to see what else this author has in store for the future!

**I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.**

Follow Me Here Too: My Blog || Twitter || Bloglovin' || Instagram || Tumblr || Pinterest
Profile Image for Joel Rochester.
62 reviews17k followers
February 10, 2021
I was a little apprehensive at the beginning as it was hard for me to connect with the characters and was a little frustrated with the miscommunication. They both were immature douchebags but to be fair, the pranks were pretty funny. At first, I had no idea whether I was reading the same book that everyone else was hyping up so much!

But the more I got through the novel, the more I began to fall in love with the journeys that Naomi and Nicholas were going on — a true lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers romance! They learn about how to function properly as a unit, how they should stop blaming the other for the problems within the relationship, and truly look to see what they're doing that may cause issues. It teaches a lot about moving too hastily in a relationship, and what happens if you let both outside forces and miscommunication come between you, it's definitely a great read.

PLUS THE TITLE DROP WAS SO PERFECT THANK U SARAH HOGLE

Also, I lowkey wished this was a dual-pov novel because I think reading from Nicholas' perspective would've been fun too!
Profile Image for preoccupiedbybooks.
447 reviews989 followers
May 2, 2020
A second chance lovers-to-enemies-to - lovers story about being honest and communicating with your partner when you're in a relationship.

I have to be honest here, I really disliked the first half of this book! I picked it up for a romantic read for valentines day, but it made me feel bitter and annoyed, and I almost DNFed it multiple times. I stuck with it because it had so many glowing reviews, and luckily it did get better in the second half of the book.
description
The reason that I hated the first half of the book was because this couple Naomi and Nick, were in a toxic and dishonest relationship. They didn't talk to each other, and there was so much miscommunication, which I hate! These people were so childish and mean to each other! This was billed as a book to read if you loved The Hating Game, but it actually wasn't that similar at all, it was a lot meaner, and not as fun!
I didn't like Naomi at all in the first half of the book, and as it's all from her POV, I was stuck in her head, as she didn't explain her feelings to her fiancé at all. She came across as selfish, petty, paranoid and neurotic, and wouldn't be out of place in a psychological thriller!

I mean I get it, I do, I've been in a relationship for over 15 years, and my husband can annoy the shit out of me, for example, he leaves every single cupboard and drawer in the kitchen open, and has his own floordrobe in our bedroom...But Naomi picked apart every single thing that Nick did, and yet didn't confront him about any of it. They both bottled up their resentment in such a passive aggressive way, and didn't bother arguing about anything, they just sat there silently seething!

Also the way that the couple dealt with their resentment was so over the top, plus there was a future mother in law that you will want to drop kick out of an aeroplane....

However!!! At about the 50% mark, the book took a turn for the better! Once Naomi and Nick started to communicate and be honest about their feelings, they started to remember why they fell in love in the first place! I enjoyed the book more because we got to see the layers to the characters, and they became less two dimensional and more mature. As we were given more information on both of the character's backgrounds, I could kind of see why they acted in the dysfunctional way they did?!
I liked the way they both started to support each other. I liked the way they started to be kind, and show little signs of appreciation, it was cute! It developed into something quite emotional and sweet, and I actually began rooting for them as a couple.
description
I thought the commentary on social media was good, and the so called insta-perfect couples and love was pretty spot on, as Naomi would post a lovey dovey picture or caption about her relationship, whilst sat ignoring her fiancé and plotting his ruin! I often read these kind of statuses, and imagine the couple actually sat on opposite ends of the sofa declaring their everlasting love online, but glaring or ignoring each other in real life lol!

So overall I'm not really sure what I feel about You Deserve Each Other, because I both hated and liked it a bit?! I personally feel that it would have added more depth, if we would have had some of Nick's POV, as we never really got to see it from his side, just how Naomi perceived things. I would say that if you do not like the miscommunication trope, then this probably isn't the book for you! But the writing was good, and Sarah Hogle has written a solid debut.

Many thanks to Edelweiss and Penguin Publishing group for making this digital ARC available for download, in exchange for an hnest opinion.
Profile Image for Ali Goodwin.
126 reviews9,429 followers
October 19, 2022
4.5 stars! LOVED this book! Such a fun and unique story that also had a lot of heart. I've never read a romance where the characters are already together but are having problems in their relationship. Such a cool plot and I loved watching them fall back in love
Profile Image for peachygirl.
267 reviews633 followers
July 19, 2022
This was everything a romcom ought to be!

The first half was basically Naomi and Nicholas trying to piss each there off to see who backs out of the engagement first. Naomi was super sarcastic, Nicholas was overbearing and both of them were so damn entertaining. I was laughing my ass off over their tactics.

Nicholas's mom was an absolute nightmare, totally a monster-in-law 2.0. She tested Naomi's patience over and over again. And mine because I was waiting for Naomi to snap back or Nicky to stand up to her.
This "driving each other nuts" routine continues till Naomi loses her job and Nicholas shifts them both to a cozy cottage in the middle of nowhere after a seemingly irrelevant argument.

Initially pissed about the change in residence, Naomi tries everything to make Nicholas's life hell. Nicky gives back good as he gets. But once they get off their high horses and have the first real conversation they've had in months, they realize they've inadvertently sabotaged their relationship where only 18% love remains. (Or so Naomi thinks) Never being completely honest with each other and pushing every issue under the rug, these two have been living a picture perfect lie for Instagram.

What follows is Naomi and Nicholas becoming partners in crime and falling in love with each other AGAIN.

The last 30% of the book was one fuzzy feeling after another. These two were so adorable!

I had a hard time believing this was Sarah Hogle's debut because she's done a fanfuckingtastic job and I can't wait to read more of her books. Also, this lovers-enemies-lovers trope needs to be celebrated.

P.S. I'd low-key sell my soul for a chance to read Nicky's POV of everything. And a super cute, cheesy epilogue would be good too, with a bunch of babies and kittens.
Profile Image for Kezia Duah.
367 reviews268 followers
July 9, 2022
2nd read: 4.9⭐️
“I’m thankful that you stayed put until I found you again.”

OMG. I’m so in love with this book it hurts.

I couldn’t stop laughing!!! Every page had something that had me dying at least once. Hogle really out here being a whole comedian! If I had someone around me with half of Naomi’s personality, I might have some years added to my life.

“I love these things about the man. But I do not love the man.”
Nicholas and Naomi have my whole heart. This was like a second chance romance except these people were engaged to each other. That already sounded so intriguing and I was immediately drawn to this. A lot of why their relationship was crumbling was quite obvious: lack of communication. I’m so glad this was something that they both figured out. They learned to love each other again, made efforts to start communicating more with each other, and most importantly, faced issues as a team. All of this was at such a perfect pace!! I still think that Naomi thinking that Nicholas was trying to ruin the relationship too was a bit reaching. Maybe that was indeed the case, but it kinda felt like that part was in Naomi’s head. I would have really really loved his pov.

So why I’m I being petty with 0.1 stars? Honestly, I should have probably reduced this to 4.5 but I liked this one too much to not get it super close to a 5. The reason is that there is barely anything about Nicole. Yes, she has her struggles that are talked about, but like maybe more about her family and what happened there?

“Because that’s how he shows his love—by providing stability.”
They were really really adorable. I love rereading even though it can be scary to not know if you’ll feel the same way the second time. I’m really glad I liked this better the second time.

1st read:4⭐️
Profile Image for Cara.
243 reviews143 followers
September 11, 2022
UPDATE: I'm so happy to have recommended this book to so many people on here, and they loved it!!! That makes me so happy!!!!

You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle was hilarious and cute. I have never heard of this author before, so thank you goodreads, I will go back and read other books by this author. The banter between Naomi and Nicholas was too funny. This story has its laugh-out-loud moments, but I also found myself wanting to scream at these two. I couldn't stand Nicholas's mom, she was just so petty, and too controlling. I'm screaming at myself that I didn't read this book sooner, but i'm glad I finally picked it up because it was just too good to pass up. You Deserve Each Other is a lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers romance comedy. This book deserves way more than a 5 star rating. Naomi broke my heart a little bit with how she felt.

Naomi Westfield has the most perfect fianće, Nicholas Rose. Nicholas holds doors open for Naomi, remembers her restaurant orders by heart, and comes from the kind of upstanding society family any bride would love to be a part of. Nicholas and Naomi never fight. They are preparing for their wedding which is three months away, but Naomi is miserably and utterly sick of Nicholas. Nicholas is the type of person that when momma calls he runs right over. Nicholas is a dentist, and Naomi works at the Junk Yard which is slowly losing business and causes them to close down. Naomi never went to college, so she doesn't know where to work. During their banter Nicholas would tell Naomi she should get off her high horse and do something about it.

Naomi never got along with Nicholas's mom, she would try and try to control their wedding, she picked out a dress for Naomi that she didn't even like. Naomi wants out of this wedding, but there's a catch: whoever ends the engagement first will have to foot the nonrefundable wedding bill. When Naomi discovers that Nicholas is feeling the exact same way, the two of them go head-to-head in a battle of pranks, sabotage, and all-out emotional warfare. Naomi just wants Nicholas's attention, but he's always giving it to his mom. Naomi thinks flowers are a waste but when she finds out that Nicholas is giving his mother flowers and not Naomi she wants him to change that.

With the countdown looming to the wedding date that may or may not come to pass, Naomi finds her resolve slipping. Naomi and Nicholas start getting closer again, they start being more sweet and attentive towards each other. Nicholas wants to support Naomi in whatever she does, they want to be each other's backbone again. Nicholas wants to show Naomi that she is good enough, that she'll always be beautiful and perfect for him. Now that Naomi and Nicholas have nothing to lose, they are finally being themselves and having fun with the last person they expect: each other. I absolutely loved this book so much!!!!!!
Profile Image for Jessica .
2,048 reviews13k followers
August 22, 2020
Yeah, this wasn't for me. I think if we got Nicholas's perspective and saw how much he really loved Naomi, I would have enjoyed this. But Naomi literally despises Nicholas for a majority of this book and I had no idea why these two people were ever together in the first place. I wish we had some flashbacks or scenes of them in love at the beginning so we understood the love that had rooted their relationship. Also, it made me uncomfortable how much Naomi and Nicholas messed with each other. If I lived with someone who would violate my trust IN MY OWN HOME, I would never be with that person. They play pranks, but they go pretty far and I just imagined that happening to me and I would not have put up with what Naomi did to Nicholas.

Also, this entire book centered around miscommunication. Naomi wouldn't tell Nicholas why she wasn't in love anymore. Naomi wouldn't tell Nicholas how much she despised his mother and how his mother was driving them apart. THEN Nicholas wouldn't just TALK TO HIS MOTHER about why she was being overbearing and ridiculous and had to be super immature when he finally confronted her. I was so frustrated for a majority of this book. It just wasn't for me. I definitely will check out Sarah Hogle's future romances, but the premise of this relationship and their conflicts just annoyed me to the point where I didn't want these two characters together.
Profile Image for ♛ may.
805 reviews3,775 followers
July 31, 2020
This book is my serotonin, it’s my ride or die, it’s the smell of cookies baking in the oven, it’s my happy place that I keep coming back to when life sucks

It’s perfect

For all of you who have been debating over whether friends-to-lovers vs. enemies-to-lovers is superior, let me raise you,

lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers

I promise, it doesn’t get better than this

✨ everything I say in this review is 100% factual and based on science as I have reread the book and tried and tested all the theories ✨

You Deserve Each Other is the story of Naomi Westfield and Nicholas Rose, who are engaged to get married and the absolute perfect couple.

The problem is, they Cannot. Stand. Each. Other.
“He’s my only ally. He’s my worst enemy.

Naomi and Nicholas’s relationship has been dwindling down for quite some time. Naomi feels like she is acting all the time. Pretending that their relationship is Prefect!! That everything Couldn’t be Better!!

But as their wedding date approaches, she’s not so sure she can envision herself getting married to Nicholas anymore

In attempts to save herself from having to pick up the massive, growing wedding bill, Naomi concocts a plan to make Nicholas’s life an absolute nightmare until he finally gives in and breaks up with her

Little does she know, her acting skills aren’t that great and Nicholas has other plans in mind
“But I've got news for Nicholas Benjamin Rose: if he thinks I'm not the biggest waste of time that's ever happened to him, he's got another think coming.”

The Relationship

My new favourite favourite favourite thing to read about is couples who have to fight for each other. (bring those recommendations onnnnn!!) We all love seeing the beginning of a relationship where everything is happy and cutesy and fun, but after the couple gets together, the book ends and we get a stamp that says they live happily ever after

But I don’t want that

I want to see the real stuff, the couples who fight and argue and annoy each other and then find a way to make it right because to me, that’s just SO REAL and GENIUNE and SPECIAL

Seeing two people get together is fun but seeing two people fight to stay together is Magical
“Your body’s here, but your head’s somewhere else. You’ve gone and left me all alone.”

Don’t get me wrong, this book is lighthearted for the most part.

It’s filled with jokes and banter and characters who do outrageous things. But my favourite thing to find upon reread was how the characters went from working so hard to break their relationship to genuinely trying to make it work

And seeing those vulnerable moments where they allowed the barriers to come down and stopped all the stupid pranking and bickering to just TELL the other person how they feel and what they want

SO BEAUTIFUL YOU GUYS, SO BEAUTIFUL
“He shouldn’t be this stunned by a nice gesture. It should be a given, but it’s not, and that’s my fault. I’ve been withholding nice gestures to punish him for not giving me enough nice gestures, and just look at how well that attitude’s panned out for us.”

aaaaaaaaaaa emotions!!!!!!

And then there’s the really adorable, really sweet moment that have me 🥺🥺🥺🥺
“I think you’re lovesick,” he says with a curving mouth.
My stomach flips. My tongue is tied in at least three knots. I can’t think of a response, so he steps even closer, until our bodies are just barely touching.
“You are. Trust me, I know all the signs…It’s a condition I’m quite familiar with myself.”

Guys, I don’t know if I’m just a ridiculous sappy mess for no reason or not, but this book punched my tears ducts in their soft spot. I cried so many times reading this book AND IT’S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE SAD

I just found some scenes hitting so deeply and the emotions and words exchanged just felt so real and 😭 😭 😭 I want what they haveeeee

Deborah & Harold

Deborah is Nicholas’s mother and she is everything wrong in a mother-in-law to be. She’s controlling, rude, and inconsiderate to Naomi. She says nasty comments about her, tries to control every aspect of the wedding, and genuinely doesn���t think she is good enough for her son.

She treats Nicholas like he is 4 years old and treats her husband even worse.

She is, how you say, an absolute nightmare.
”If [Deborah] goes more than twenty-four hours without seeing him her operating system fails.

Harold is her husband and he’s so checked out, it’s hilarious.
“He stopped having an opinion of his own in 1995 and lives for the moment he’s told he’s allowed to go to bed.

However, the scenes with the two of them are the best thing ever. It’s wildly entertaining and having Naomi monologuing all her thoughts to Deborah’s ridiculousness just adds years on my life
“I can’t let her eat cake!” she exclaims. Even the torso of the Marie Antoinette that she so admires rolls in her grave, like, Girl, I wouldn’t.”

The scenes with them are so genuinely funny, I couldn’t help but wait for them to get more page time so I could howl with laughter jfkldsjflkj iconic
“Harold distantly grumbles. Deborah’s made him get out of his seat for nothing, and he hasn’t had to remain standing for this long in five years.
“What do you think she wants?” I murmur in Nicholas’s ear.
“She needs me to tell Dad he’s not allowed to eat foods that begin with the letter B.”

Absolute trash fire <3

Humour

Sarah Hogle is one of the funniest people on earth and I won’t be taking question at this time. Her humour speaks to my soul, it’s the kind of funny I aspire to reach. Naomi is brash, overdramatic, and so petty and I want to be her when I grow up
“We’re not having children,” I declare. “I’m barren. I lose my uterus In a Ponzi scheme.”

The humour was the first thing I connected with. There was never any boring parts because the humour kept me entertained even when the plot slowed down.
“Her middle name will have to be Deborah after Mrs. Rose, because apparently it’s a tradition going back exactly one generation.

And to conclude, I’ll leave you with this, which never fails to make me tear up every time it read it
“But you still haven’t said you love me.”
“That’s not true.”
“You haven’t.”
“I say it all the time, I just say it very, very quietly. I tell you when you’re in another room, or right after we hang up the phone. I tell you when you’ve got headphones on. I say it after you shut the door behind you. I say it in my head every time you look at me.”

💙💛💜💞💚❤️💕I better stop before I end up rereading it all over again💖💛💜💞💚❤️💕💓

buddy read with my favourites, jia & marami & amy
Profile Image for Tucker  (TuckerTheReader).
908 reviews1,585 followers
December 9, 2020

Many thanks to Putnam Books for the free copy in exchange for an honest review
"You two are assholes!" she calls back. "You deserve each other."

4.5 stars! Oh my gosh! This book... this book was such a joy to read. I heard about it back in November and I had been waiting since then to read it. It was so worth the wait.

So, what's this book about?

I've read many enemies-to-lovers romance novels but this one was on a whole new level. I have never read a more creative romance book. Two fiances hating each other is truly one of the best ideas I've encountered since The Bromance Book Club.

I also wasn't expecting this book to be as passionate as it was. I'm not referring to sex (although there was a fair amount of steam). There was so much anger and hatred that was counteracted with love and joy, all of which was dialed up to 11 so that I was either laughing or crying throughout the entire book.

I had considered sharing a few of my favorite scenes but then I realized that 99% of the scenes were my favorite and I seriously would run out of room because I wouldn't be able to stop gushing.

Overall, this book was hilarious, emotional, and creative. I seriously cannot recommend it enough.

Bottom Line:
Age Rating - [ R ]
Content Screening (Mild Spoilers)
Positive Messages (4/5) - [Standing up for yourself, Loving your enemies, Perseverance, Accepting your flaws]
Violence (1/5) - [Very brief, slapstick violence]
Sex (3/5) - [Sexual themes, Kissing, Brief undetailed sex scene]
Language (3/5) - [F**k, D*mn, Sh*t]
Drinking/Drugs (2/5) - [Medicinal Drugs, Alcohol consumption]
Content and Trigger Warnings - Body shaming, Depression
Publication Date: April 7th, 2020
Publisher: Putnam Books (an imprint of Penguin Random House)
Genre: Contemporary/Romance

4.5 stars!

Review to come

-------------

okay, i just want to make it clear what this book is about...

it's about a couple about to get married but they hate each other and they're going to try to get the other to leave because whoever leaves has to pay the wedding bill... so they prank each other and are awful to each other

IT'S LOVERS TO ENEMIES BACK TO LOVERS

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Profile Image for Heather.
379 reviews16.8k followers
July 21, 2020
Gah this book.
It starts off with Naomi really despising her fiancee and honestly, she's not the best character. She's self absorbed, and spiteful.
So from the beginning I thought I would hate this book because of that but she grows, she learns to care and love and gah by the end I loved it.
This book is about a couple that falls out of love and into hate and works on loving each other again and it was so much fun to read!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 15,910 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.