Jump to ratings and reviews
Jesse James is a normal eighteen-year-old, even if her parents are the best faerie bounty hunters in New York. Jesse’s only concern is how to pay for college, but that changes the night her parents disappear.

Equipped with her parents’ weapons and her own smarts, Jesse enters the dangerous world of bounty hunting in search of her mother and father. In her quest, she encounters all manner of Fae, but the scariest is Lukas, the mysterious, imposing faerie who offers to help her find her parents.

But there are powerful forces at work, and Jesse is about to become a player in a dangerous game that could decide the fate of everyone she loves. In this world of magic and deception, it’s hard to tell her allies from her enemies in the race to find her parents before their time runs out.

289 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 26, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Karen Lynch

15 books3,025 followers
Karen Lynch is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author.

She grew up in Newfoundland, Canada - a place rich in colorful people and folklore to which she attributes her love of the supernatural and her vivid imagination. She moved to Charlotte, North Carolina years ago and was immediately charmed by the southern people but she says she will always be a newfie.

Though she loves supernatural fiction, she has a soft spot for Charlotte Brontë and Jane Austin. She is a fan of classic rock, country and classical music but her favorite music is the sound of a good thunderstorm or a howling blizzard. Two of her favorite past times are baking artisan breads for her friends and spending quality time with her two German Shepherds.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
49 (1%)
1 star
25 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 547 reviews
Profile Image for Phuong ✯.
617 reviews5,150 followers
April 7, 2022
– 3.5 stars

After finishing this book, I was ready to hype this series up, since it’s pretty underrated, but then I remember reading some bad reviews from my friends for the last books 😪 that dampened my mood to hype this series up a little, but I’m still leaving with a list why this series is worth checking out.

Short plot summary:

Jesse James (h) is a 18 yr old from NY and her parents are famous fairie bounty hunters. One day her parents disappear after one of their jobs. Since the agency where Jesse’s parents work don’t take the disappearance of Jesse’s parents serious enough, Jesse decides to take matters in her own hands.

✔️ The book is very YA, there is barely any romance, the focus is more on the plot, but it’s very well written.

✔️ Jesse is a good heroine, she is young, but not naive and she can hold her own in a fight. She’s no damsel in distress, but also not too powerful for a YA heroine.

✔️ Can you imagine a healthy & loving family? Me neither, but the James family CUTE! While Jesse’s parents were missing for the most part of the book, the glimpses of them that we got gave me supportive parents. Also Mama and Papa James rescuing Finch, a sprite, from a trafficking ring and adopting him into their family. 🥺

✔️ Jesse & Finch older sister-younger brother sibling dynamic is sooooo adorable! These two were the best part of this book for me. Jesse was so caring towards her lil bro and vice versa. Finch just wants to see his family be happy and munch on his fruits. 🥺 I could read about Jesse playing and singing songs to Finch on her guitar forever and wouldn’t be bored, cause it was so cute!! 🥺

The moment the door shut behind Lukas, Finch jumped on the bed and curled up in the crook of my arm. “You okay, buddy?” I asked him and got a soft whistle in reply. I smiled in the dark. “I’m so proud of you. You were so brave, making that noise to trick the men. I don’t know what I would have done without you.” He whistled again and snuggled closer. “Goodnight, Finch,” I whispered, closing my eyes.

🥺🥺🥺SPRITES IN BOOKS MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!! 🥺🥺🥺

🥺🥺🥺 SPRITES IN BOOKS MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!! 🥺🥺🥺

🥺🥺🥺 SPRITES IN BOOKS MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!! 🥺🥺🥺

✔️ Loved Violet & Jesse’s friendship too. Violet was such a supportive best friend.

✔️ Great side characters. I want to see more of Conlan, Foalin, Kerr & the rest. I hope we get to see more of them in the next book.

✔️ Jesse & Lukas’ romance was okay, but I knew going into this book that the romance wasn’t the focus anyway, so I wasn’t disappointed.

Conclusion

Promising start, likeable characters and fast read. So good so far.

┍━━━━━━━━»•» «•«━┑
FAE GAMES SERIES

#1 Pawn – 3.5 stars
#2 Knight – 3.75 stars
#3 Queen – 2.5 stars
┕━»•» «•«━━━━━━━━┙
Profile Image for Sentranced Jem.
1,090 reviews572 followers
January 3, 2021
I knew I should have read this book slowly.
I knew I should have savoured and cherished it one chapter at a time. But no, I had to go and devour it.
Ugh! I cannot believe I have to wait for God only knows how long until the next book.
This is one of the downsides of reading a series…. The Waiting.
When a book is THIS good, you bet I’m going to act like a spoiled brat and probably throw a tantrum …demanding for Book 2.

I am a HUGE fan of Karen Lynch’s Relentless series. Hello! Serial Re-reader here🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️
I have lost count on the number of times I’ve read that series.
Starting the Fae Games series was surprisingly nerve-racking. What if Fae Games series wasn’t good? What if this series turned out to be horrible? Would my “Karen Lynch fantasy book experience” be stained forever? Won’t you be nervous too If the previous series was beyond enjoyable? Am I being dramatic again? hahaha

But honestly, on a serious note, Pawn by Karen Lynch was addictively divine!
I don’t know why I was so worried about this series…It was spectacular! You name it, this book has it.
You want action and adventure? You get that and more!
You want fun and flirty? It’s got that too.
You want mystery and intrigue? Oh it serves that on a silver platter.
You want chemistry that tickles your senses? Ooohhhh God! This book has that too…Talk about angst!

I do not exaggerate when I say that I AM DYING for book 2.

I loved this book so much and I can guarantee that this one will definitely be another re-read.

Update:
A re-read before Knight releases in a few days.
Profile Image for Holly.
1,431 reviews986 followers
June 22, 2021

I've been trying to avoid YA books, but I am glad I gave this one a try. I have previously (5 years ago) read this author's Relentless series and liked her style of writing, so that's why I picked this one up. I flew through this.

Jesse James (yes, that's her name haha) is an 18 year old who struggles with the sudden disappearance of her parents and decides to take up the family business of faerie bounty hunting in the meantime to help pay the bills and hopefully find clues about their whereabouts. She has very strong morals, and it definitely verges on the the Mary Sue scale, but I was enjoying the story too much to care.

If you are NOT a young adult, you might want to try this even if you don't typically read YA anymore. If you ARE a young adult, absolutely pick this one up, you're in for a treat :)
Profile Image for Avy ❄️.
300 reviews64 followers
January 28, 2021
I DEVOURED THIS BOOK, DEVOURED IIIIIIITTTTT

I NEED THE NEXT ONE. LIKE YESTERDAY, BECAUSE I CANNOT HANDLE THAT CLIFF HANGER

I cannot process what just happened. What kind of torturous experience did I put myself through, because this, this is not fair. We FINALLY get a young adult heroine who wears glasses, but can still kick ass. We get this amazing plot with writing that keeps you turning the pages, we get the perfect balance of narrative and dialogue, the perfect essence of a strong female heroine who is allowed to like someone but DOES NOT need to be saved, and instead saves herself before the males come barging in. We get character growth, and love, and friendship, and humor, and angst. We get all this, AND YET HAVE TO WAITS YEARS FOR MORE

Karen Lynch you have destroyed my heart again, and I will give you my German Shepherd puppy if you give me the next book NOW

Pick this book up, I finished it in 5 hours, I ignored everything around me, and I have no regrets except for the whole left in my chest after turning the last page of this book.
June 1, 2020
HOLY SHIZ YOU GUYS.
Karen Lynch blew me away with the Relentless series. And this.... this... I can't even.
Pawn had me hooked from beginning to end. I loved everything about it. The characters. The storyline. Bring me book two already!!
Profile Image for ☕️Kimberly  (Caffeinated Reviewer).
3,038 reviews647 followers
June 23, 2020
Narrated by Caitlin Kelly, this urban fantasy introduces us to Jesse James. A recently graduated eighteen-year-old with a sprite for a brother and bounty hunters for parents. When her parents don’t return from meeting a contact, Jesse searches for them but quickly realizes to do that, she must join the family business.

Woot! I loved the world building as Lynch introduced us to an alternate New York and the Fae Games series. In this urban telling, the veils between fairy world and our world collapsed. When that happened the fairies and other creatures decide not to hide anymore and most live among us and travel back and forth without incident. However, some cause problems and when that happens bounty hunters capture the creature. Once tagged they are exiled to the fairy world.

I loved Jesse. She may not have field experience, but she is book smart & quick on her feet. When she runs into trouble with the fairy guard and Lukas, their leader. Oh my!

The characters were well-developed and their voices felt authentic. From bounty hunters to the annoying agents, I was all in.

You’ll enjoy mystery, a dash of romance, twists, coffee with Violet, Jesse’s bestie and intense moments with Lukas. The bounty hunts were fascinating as was a thread about a unique line of females. I want to know more!

At first I wasn’t sure if this was Young Adult as Caitlin Kelly’s voice for Jesse seemed too young at first, but it’s not and I came to love Kelly’s voice for all the characters, even Finn the Sprite. This review was originally posted at Caffeinated Reviewer
Profile Image for Antonella.
3,414 reviews447 followers
June 22, 2020
oh, why did I read this before even having a date set for book two?!

I really enjoyed reading this book.
Was it perfect? No.
But it was everything that I needed at the time...
So I can't wait for the book two...

4,5 stars
61 reviews
May 31, 2020
I was beyond excited when Karen Lynch came out with a new series but a small part of me was worried that it couldn’t possibly be as good as her relentless series. I mean we are talking about one of my favourite book series ever. Three sentences into the first page of pawn I realized that I’m an idiot. I don’t know how I could doubt her. Honestly I read so many books that sometimes they meld into each other. Karen Lynch’s writing style and plots envelop you immediately into her world where you are happily ensconced in reading bliss. The characters are strong and multi dimensional, there is warmth, action, funny moments, and tender moments. In a word it’s freaking awesome! I cannot wait for the next book in this series which dare I say I might end up loving even more than relentless!
Profile Image for Einav.
117 reviews25 followers
June 15, 2020
The high score? Totally justified! Amazing and delightful book, Young Adult Fantasy at is best!
מישהו פה אמר "הבו לי פנטזיה אורבאנית יאנג אדול��, עם פיות, יצורים מיתיים ו-וייב של רומנטיקה?"
הספר הזה עונה בדיוק על כל אלו - והוא פשוט עונג צרוף ונהדר.
ג'סי, בת 18 נורמטיבית לחלוטין, חיה בעולם שבו נפרץ פתח לממלכת הקסם ("פיירי") ולכן מתאפשרת בו תנועה בלתי פוסקת של יצורים קסומים שמתהלכים ונמצאים בינינו.
טוב, נורמטיבית זה עניין יחסי. ההורים של ג'סי הם ציידי הראשים הכי מפורסמים במנהטן. מסתבר שיחד עם זנים טובים של "פיי", חדרו לעולם גם כמה יצורים שמסכנים אותו, וציידי הראשים - מופעלים על ידי סוכנות מיוחדת שתפקידה לשמור על הסדר הקיים.
הסיפור שלנו מתחיל בערב אחד, בו הוריה של ג'סי נעלמים. אחרי שיצאו למשימה ולא שבו ממנה, ג'סי, מצוידת בכלי הנשק שלהם וחכמת החיים שלה, מתחילה במסע מסוכן של חיפוש אחריהם. במהלך הדרך היא פוגשת כל מיני סוגי פיות, וגם את לוקאס - פיי מסתורי ועוצמתי - שמציע לה את עזרתו בחיפוש.
ברקע ממליכים נסיך חדש בממלכת הפיי, והעולם כולו כמרקחה.
הסיפור שוטף, סוחף, קולח. כיף להרים אותו כל ערב וקשה מאוד להניח. ממליצה בחום לכל מי שהז'אנר הזה מדבר אליו!
Profile Image for Lien.
286 reviews215 followers
April 9, 2022
Summary

‼️The following section will spoil the ENTIRE book for you‼️

You've been warned.

Jesse James' (18, h) parents don't come home after a job, h worried and asks her parents' contacts like their bond agent Levi and photographer Tennin, gets tip to go to club Tegs, no clue from the owner, meets Lukas Rand (H) and his people, fight breaks out bc of h, a guy tried to glamour her (illegal) - h decides to get in the bounty hunter business to get more info, catches a goblin with her singing (low level faeries get mesmerized by it), h officially a bounty hunter, catches a peri in a bookstore, sees her mom's bracelet in the windowsill of a pawn shop, visits the guy who sold it - bracelet was found in a hotel, a hotel guy saw her parents but h can't do anything with this info, sees H and some Hollywood darling exiting elevator, h leaves, gets jumped by two faeries, h shocks one and takes him to the agency, before that H appeared and asked her what she was doing at the hotel - at Fae Enforcement Agency: her parents case got handed over to special forces, agent suspects that her parents dealt with goren drugs - h catches a bunnek (level 4) - gets info on goren dealer from Tennin, encounters Faolin on her way to her car who drags her to H's place, gets interrogated bc they've seen each other too many times for it to be coincidences, eventually tells H about her parents, stays overnight bc Faolin has to check out her story, H says he can help with her parents bc his and her case might be connected - h gets phone call from her mom but was not able to talk to her, tracks phone per GPS, gets arrested for trespassing, H bails them out, h to contact him the next time she hears about her parents - h overheard faeries talking about killing Unseelie Prince Vaerik, informs H's guys - kelpie hunting, h dives after Trey who got pulled into the water by a kelpie, h able to free Trey and escape it by pulling out a stone from it's mane, H who finds her the next day on an uninhabitant island tells her that it might be a goddess stone (come from Aedhna’s throne and were gifted by her to creatures that had won her favor. Kelpies are said to be among her favorite creations), Vaerik owed her a favor which is why H and his men were looking for h - h has a cold, two men break into her place, h fights them off, H and guys come bc the ward Conlan installed got triggered, h and Finch stay at H's place for two days, have a moment where h sees H coming from shower, h flustered - h has infection from troll scratch, H takes care of her, delirious h thinks she's dreaming, they kiss - h realizes she didn't dream of them coming over but can't remember any details or the kiss - storm before Christmas, Trey visits bc he was worried, H and men visit too, h and Finch to stay at H's place until storm over, h has flashback of kissing H but thinks she's imagining things - someone left h a note that parents are alive, H and men will be gone for two days bc of Court business - h on job, sees one of the guys who jumped her in front of hotel and got away, h catches him but gets kidnapped before backup arrives (guy made a deal to lead her to her parents if she lets him go) - h meets a captured faerie named Faris, finds her parents who are in rapture (when a human take goren), Raisa (female fae whom h saw at the cemetary once) gave it to them to help, says h's parents did something to anger the Seelie Royal Guard, didn't want to kill two well known hunters so Guard hired her bro to deal with them, Raisa brought them to their home, fed them goren and hid them in cage for weeks, tried to contact her, was also the one who left the note, Rogin tried to silence h by sending all these men bc she was asking questions - Rogin playing both Court sides, H and men appear, person they were looking for and connected to h's parents was Faris, Faolin's bro, accuse h of being the one behind Faris' kidnapping bc they found an iPad in her basement outlining a detailed plan on how she would approach H, H is Prince Vaerik, h angry and hurt that H and men would believe she'd do something like that, doesn't want anything to do with them, even stays there in cage instead of going with them bc H changed his mind and wanted to take her with them - h and parents get rescued by Agent Curry (the one who was hell bent on condemning her parents) - parents will be fine but will take a while to detox, h prays for Faris' recovery

· two regions: Seelie (light fae) and Unseelie (dark fae) — one monarch each, life mate called consort — Seelie Queen Anwyn — Unseelie King Oseron

Characters
→ Faolin — Royal Guard — H's head of security
→ Faris — Royal Guard — faerie who was held prisoner by Rogin — Faolin's bro
→ Patrick James — h's dad — bounty hunter
→ Caroline James (40) — h's mom — bounty huntress
→ Finch — h's bro — sprite — was trafficked, h's parents rescued him and other sprites — has no wings anymore bc traffickers clipped them
→ Violet Lee — h's bff
→ Gorn — dwarf — neighbor
→ Maurice Begnaud (39) — h's dad's bff — h's godfather — bounty hunter
→ Levi Solomon — bond agent h's parents work for
→ Prince Rhys – crown prince of Seelie
→ Princess Titania — first faerie to address the world after the Great Rift — most loved and celebrated among royal Fae
→ Orend Teg — Unseelie — owns Teg
→ Ambrose — bounty hunter — Kim's bro
→ Kim – bounty hunter — Ambrose's sis
→ Raisa — fae — was once saved by h's parents
→ Rogin Havas — Raisa's bro — goren dealer
→ Cecil Hart — Rogin's partner — lawyer who owns the home where h and Violet wanted to break in to but got arrested for trespassing
→ Kardas — fae who jumped h in front of hotel
→ Agent Daniel Curry — condemned h's parents of goren trafficking before finding and investigating them
→ Agent Ryan — Curry's partner

Lingo
◊ Great Rift — 30 years ago, a tear had formed between earth and the faerie realm
◊ Court faeries — Royal Fae included
◊ Lower fae — dwarves, elves, trolls
◊ Fae Enforcement Agency
◊ The Plaza — home to over half a dozen bond agencies
◊ Goren — highly addictive drug — made from Fae plant — banned on earth
◊ Muryan — fibrous faerie plant — protects against faerie glamour
◊ Asrai — ancient female warriors who protected the homes of Goddesses — have red hair like h
◊ Brownies — domestic faeries — love to clean

➔ 𝐅𝐚𝐞 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬
#1. Pawn | 4 stars
#2. Summary of ➞ Knight | 4.25 stars
#3. Queen | ➞ tbr
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Profile Image for Melanchallina.
195 reviews110 followers
May 12, 2021
Карен Линч "Пешка" (Игры фейри, #1)

6 из 10

Жанр:
YA, городское фэнтези
POV: 1POV, от первого лица
Геометрия чувств: прямая
Моя оценка: 6/10

Теги: городское фэнтези, фейри, боевая героиня

РЕЦЕНЗИЯ:
Итак, отзыв по итогу прочтения «Пешки» Карен Линч.
Во-первых, у меня были большие сомнения читать ли книгу или нет, потому что к американскому самиздату я отношусь не с меньшей осторожностью, чем российскому. Но потом вышла новость, что книгу в России издаст Эксмо. Freedom, я почитала отзывы и стало как-то интересно.

По итогу я получила – не самое оригинальное на свете, но довольно задорное городское фэнтези,с которым приятно скоротать вечерок-другой, а потом о нем забыть.

История довольна шаблонная, местами прямо таки клишированная, но скажу сразу – читать было интересно, в какой-то момент я поймала себя на мысли, что у истории вайбы первой трилогии «Сумеречных охотников». Раньше вообще было много подобных историй с боевой героиней, которая находится в центре какой-нибудь движухи с представителями иного мира, но сейчас они сошли на нет, поэтому «Пешка» хоть с одной стороны банальна, но с другой на фоне современных книг что-то новенькое.

Структура и стиль автора тоже не замудренны и довольно просты. Но это работает истории в плюс, так как сюжет (а героиня охотница на преступников-фейри) динамичен, никогда не проседает, но здесь и нет какой-то особой глубины, философских сцен, поэтому простота работает только на плюс общей истории.

Герои симпатичные, не всегда логично поступают правда, но спишем все на то, что это, young adult и такое тут в порядке вещей. И если героиня – Джесси, довольна хороша и совмещает в себя одновременно и образ «девы в беде» и боевой девчушки, способной надрать всем зад, то Лукас прямо шаблонище, я бы сказала, что герой вообще особо не прописан и не раскрыт, автор просто обрисовала образ альфа-самца и решила что этого хватит.

Еще, кстати, по сюжету не понравилось, что фактически ни одна интрига и загадка не были раскрыты, автор явно все оставила на продолжение, пытаясь перетянуть читателя с первой книги на последующие, но я этого не оценила. Знаете ли люблю, чтобы мне хоть на какие-то вопросы отвечали, а не оставляли с «продолжение в следующей серии». В общем чисто как развлекательная история – неплохо, но больших надежд не питайте.
Profile Image for Kelly Martin.
114 reviews17 followers
January 10, 2021
Prepare for an all-nighter

I’ve missed Karen Lynch’s story telling since I first read Relentless, and Pawn was like slipping on your favorite pair of jeans, you know the ones that always make your butt look good but you can still breathe in them? I started as soon as I saw it pop up in my kindle last night and stayed up long past sunrise to read this book cover to cover and now I don’t know how to deal until book 2 comes out. Seriously someone tell me what to do now.
Profile Image for Andrea.
1,694 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2022
The story was pretty good, and I did enjoy the world building.

So we have a society that has been turned upside-down generations ago with the arrival of the Fae-including goblins, kelpie, brownies and more unusual creatures (some that are not meant to be on 'our' side or commit crimes that can cause friction)

Kelpie

This leads to new government agencies trying to keep the peace, and bounty hunter's are often giving assignments that the higher-ups can't investigate as quickly.

This is were our story starts with the 19 year old h, Jesse James looking for a job to help her pay for college when parents disappear one night after going after some shady types. After looking and getting no answers-their teen daughter takes on her parents work and searches for them by following their recent case and last known whereabouts.

Along the way she meets some pushy fae who are looking for the same mark as her parents before they vanished, and they eventually end up working together in the mean time. Smaller cases, leads, and a little romance follow.

x---------------------------------x

So like I said I like the premise, but the YA tropes were abound and I'll admit that I've read so many that at this point I eye roll a lot of the times instead of just enjoying.

description

Saying that I probably would have enjoyed this one as a teen so don't let my curmudgeonly self stop you from picking this one up if you feel like reading a fae and action filled uf with a pretty smart and badass FL.

However, I think my major story question is

But for some trope bingo fun:

* young girl x ancient guy (not sure of his age at this point but he's immortal so)
* the virgin and brooding male combo
* "your not like other girls" or "I've never met anyone like you" or "you keep surprising me"
* the majority of friend's dialogue is insisting h go for the guy multiple times even tho h protests
* "any other girl would kill to be in your place!"
* special trait that makes everyone want her (her red hair that is so desirable the the fae)
* cutsie nicknames (little warrior)/ saying both her first and last name in every other sentence
* my traitorous body line
* the H not asking for permission just demanding you do what he wants- get up, go here, do this

So yeah def not that bad at all but not really something I would go out of my way to pick up again. Might read on, who knows- maybe when I'm in a less grump slump.

Profile Image for Nikki.
234 reviews26 followers
June 18, 2020
Why??? Why did I read this when the author doesn't have the next in the series available? She is seriously such an amazing writer and top three favorite author. I could not put this book down. So go ahead and read it now and suffer with me.
Profile Image for Tassi (Read Ramble Repeat).
282 reviews57 followers
February 23, 2022
Hey, Hey my beautiful book nerds!

This book has probably been my most anticipated read since I first heard of its release....and guys this book is everything

Yes, it needs it repeated twice because man I was attached to this book well...like a book nerd when you try to take their book off them...(I don't suggest anyone try this out with a fellow book nerd... unless you want to see a whole new side to them #CrazyAlert lol). My point here is that I was 1000% invested and attached to everything going on within this story. To the point that by the end I had some serious emotions bubbling up in the back of my throat and my heart was beating so fast.

I myself listened to the audiobook of this one and it was phenomenally done. The narration by Caitlin Kelly was top notch, the scenes, especially towards the end, had so much emotion and pain in it, that you believed it and felt it...and that's something I crave for whenever reading. I want to be hit in the feels. And although this book practically destroyed me....and I mean....Destroyed. Me. I can't get it out of my head or heart.

So guys, if you ever took up my advice on creating a book survival kit, then great you’re prepared, because this book you will need one. You may not believe me now but

Just how much truth I speak. Ask my friend Clover, I was messaging her last night about it. I was probably talking crazy (what's new right?🤷🏻‍♀️😂) and I was also trying not to spoil anything...but man this book seriously didn't mess around in my opinion. It demanded to be read and I couldn't ignore the call. Now I feel like I'm seriously obsessing about it...and I can't help but think of the characters and world. Then I learnt that I have EIGHT MONTHS to wait until the next book!!!

I guess I'll resign myself to the fact that this ↓ is what it'll be whilst I wait.

And since my brain is all over the place, Crowley's words feel really suiting...since my brain has on repeat the word torture lol. It's the truth. Even if it sounds dramatic.

I should've probably pre-warned you guys that this review well is going to be a Ramble fest but since you've already made it this far you've probably already worked that out lol...but honestly the bigger the Ramble, it should only prove just how much this book moved me.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm addicted to the Relentless series and I have a feeling these books will be no different.

I don't even know where to start with the summary of this book. So much happened and went down. I made new friends, new book boyfriends (what? he had dark hair and blue eyes that's practically my Kryptonite) and fell in love with the world created. It was crafted so expertly and felt so seamless, that it's hard to believe there was no magic in use. Karen has her own brand of magic it seems.

So anywho, this story is set in a world where the Fae now coexist with humans on earth...you have your two Courts of the Fae with Royals and the such (these Fae are the more powerful of the lot) and then there are others that are lower in ranking (if it helps, the Agency ranks the Fae by a scale of 1-5...4 and 5 being the highest). Confused you yet? I think I'm confusing myself haha...anywho, there are many different kinds of Fae beings, but you'll have to read to find those out 😉...I have to keep the mystery alive lol.

In this world, we have Bounty Hunters, those who collect the Fae that are causing trouble on the streets...annnd that's where our girl Jesse comes in....her parents are working as Bounty Hunters, and they are some of the best-known Hunters. But Jesse was never really interested in this life, she had plans to get a job and save up for college (She's super smart!)...but it seems fate had a very different plan for her right now. One night her parents go missing and Jesse, unable to get the information she needed, decides to take up the family business and become a Bounty Hunter. It's a dangerous life but Jesse is determined to track down her parents at whatever cost.

Whilst gathering information, she runs into some men (like literally lol) and from here things just get crazier. You see this person she ran into, Lukas (be still my heart hehe), is a person she was warned of, as being dangerous and not someone to get involved with. He's a man of mystery. But when their paths continue to keep crossing, Lukas's men begin to question why all of a sudden she continues to be wherever they are... and well, some serious questioning goes down...you don't want to mess with Lukas's top security guy, he one serious dude lol...

That he does. Anyways, they end up basically teaming up, for reasons I won't disclose hehe...and so things begin to get even more interesting at this point. The story takes on a life of its own and with all of them working together, it seems like maybe just maybe Jesse may find her parents. But with everyone playing games, having there own agendas and the Agency believing that Jesse's parents are in with a group of drug dealers. Things get complicated. Humans and Fae alike begin to keep tabs/come after Jesse and not all is safe. Lucky for her training and new friends and allies she may just be able to survive it.

But in the biggest twist of all...that ending...like what?! Like I had worked out the main part but...Lukas man I am disappointed in you for even thinking that of Jesse! My brain was going all over the place at that. I swear it was something like this.

See aren't you glad you're not in my head lol? 😂It's like a soap opera in there.

I love the build of the relationship with all of Lukas's men and although there will be complications in the next book, I really want to see more of them altogether. And mister Faolin (head of Lukas's security), I don't care what you say, our girl has wormed her way into your grumpy little heart hehe. And plus you got served lols. First at a bar and then when she clobbered you with her bat 😂(it was hilarious). We know you respect a fighting prowess...and plus you did give a head nod too once! That's massive for you! Annnnd this is probably making no sense to my readers lol. So let's move on haha.

Okay, and now can we just take a moment to appreciate Lukas? Pleeeaaasee he's just so...I don't even have a word for it. But I fell hard and fast for him.

I think Damon may be right...

He's just so stubborn, protective and has that whole Alpha male thing going on...but as she gets to know him better he definitely has a teasing side which I loved lol. Our girl, Jesse, continues to surprise him and keep him on his toes...so watch out Lukas. Remember your words. Or don't lol. I'd rather you didn't 😆

"You're very dangerous, Jesse James"

There are so many aspects of this story that I just adored. Everything about it had all the right levels. The intensity, the build-up, the plot development, the twists (some I saw coming, some I did not), the characters. So much about it. I felt such a deep connection to all the characters right from the beginning. And I'm so so intrigued where this will all lead. I'm most curious about this little bead that Jesse found on a Kelpie and the legend with the goddess blessed that's connected to it. And we all know that book two we are definitely going to see more into that.

If you want/need to be swept away in a book, this is the one to do it with. I honestly can't express how much I loved this book. So when you pick it up to read just prepare yourself and

Because this is one hell of a read. Honestly, if you are into Fae, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy books I can't see how you wouldn't love this book. I may need to find some new friends if you don't love it as much as I did. Like it's a day later and the book doesn't want to let me go. So yeah...

The way this book is written is pure magic and I can't wait to talk to others who have also read this book. Did you fall in love instantly like me?

Follow Jesse as she gears up to take on the world...she's not backing down, even when things get crazy. Her fighting and compassionate spirit will call to you...so don't ignore it..join her, as the search for her parents begins....but will she find them before it's too late?

What awaits for Jesse, will be the story of a lifetime and this is just the beginning. Bring on the Bounty Hunter life.

I take my hat off to you Karen. This was such an incredible read and I honestly cannot express how much I need the next book! You bring the full-on book nerd out in me and that's impressive. So that has my respect and awe. Thank you for the escape your books provide for me, I really needed that more then words can express. 💜

For my sanity, I really, really hope that this time passes soon and that I'll have the book soon. Meanwhile, there will be a little person in my head, which'll randomly be standing in a grass field waiting and waiting for it to arrive. And yes I do admit that sounds a wee bit crazy...but doesn't everyone have little compartments in their head dedicated to something? Mine are simply just very creative boxes 😂🤷🏻‍♀️Don't judge.

Ugh, I feel a major book-hangover coming my way. I seriously don't think I'm ready to pick up another book. But alas I have quite a few ARC's I need to get to.

Annnnyyyways, I think a lot of crazy came out today, so let's leave it at that shall we?

Happy Readings My Nerdy Friends x
Profile Image for Gal.
314 reviews19 followers
January 29, 2021
בהחלט פנטזיה כיפית, קצבית, עם דמויות חמודות להפליא, גיבורים שווים וגיבורה חביבה ביותר. שום דבר לא יוצא דופן, גרנדיוזי, או משהו שלא קראתי קודם, אבל כתוב טוב, מושך ומעניין.
סיפור המסגרת הוא על צעירה בשם ג׳סי ג׳יימס, שחיה עם שני הוריה, שהם ציידי ראשים של פיות ואחיה (המאומץ), שהוא סוג של פיי.
בעולם שאחרי ה״קרע״ (אם אני מתרגמת נכון) בני האדם חיים לצד הפיות בסוג של דו-קיום, כשהפיי מחצרות הסילי והאנסילי נחשבים מיוחסים, ממש סלבס, ואילו הפיי מהדאגות הנמוכות זוכים ליחס קצת פחות חיובי. ובכל זאת, כולם חיים ביחד, כש״הסוכנות״ אחראית לשמור על הסדר ולדאוג שהפיי לא יפגעו בבני האדם.
יום אחד הוריה של ג׳סי יוצאים למשימה ולא חוזרים הביתה וג׳סי יוצאת למסע רווי הרפתקאות, כשהיא מנסה להתחקות אחר עקבותיהם ולמצוא אותם.
במהלך המסע שלה היא נתקלת שוב ושוב בפיי גבוה וקודר ובחבר מרעיו, עוד ארבעה פיי תמירים ומאיימים למראה והם מציעים לה עזרה בחיפוש אחרי הוריה.
קונלאן החמוד והידידותי, פאולן הקר והמאיים, קר וליאן השתקנים ולוקאס, המנהיג הבלתי מעורער של החבורה.
הם מתעמרים בה, הם מצילים אותה, הם לא סומכים עליה, אבל גם לא עוזבים אותה בשקט ובמקביל ג׳סי קופצת למים ומתנסה בצעדיה הראשונים בעולם ציד-הראשים.
קסם, הרפתקאות, רומנטיקה, חברות, משפחה ועוד.
והסוף הוא כזה שלפחות לי גרם להמשיך מיד לספר השני.
בקיצור, אני ממליצה!
Profile Image for Kay ❣.
554 reviews49 followers
February 18, 2022
Cute determined girl tryin to rescue her badass parents

✨Good worldbuilding
✨Fun mystery
✨Cool creatures

Also she's in the makings of becoming a boss. I like this origin story she's got going on

I'm shipping for an alternative to Lukas but I don't have high hopes. We'll seeee
Profile Image for Sophy Sorn.
1,307 reviews8 followers
August 18, 2020
So good!!!

Omg!! Karen has done it again! This book is so good! I can’t stop reading! Reading this book makes me think about Sara and Nikolas. Jesse and Lukas has similar characteristics like they do. I can’t wait for more. I hope we get the second book this year!!! Love love this book!

Re read on 7/28/20
Re read on 8/17/20 - Jan can’t come soon enough
Profile Image for TJ.
2,695 reviews163 followers
January 18, 2021
Absolutely loved the story but hated the ending. It just leaves an bad taste in my mouth when the last page turns with the heroine being accused of things unjustly with nothing resolved. Until that very last point, however, it was awesome.
Profile Image for Prerana.
1,164 reviews356 followers
March 15, 2022
I feel like I'm being lenient with the stars because I love Karen Lynch's Relentless. Overall, I enjoyed this book, which is why I'm still sticking with the four stars, but I wasn't as enamored with this book as I hoped to be. The romance was a little bland, the premise was nice, and the little side episodes were cute. I had a good time with this book and am excited to read the next one.

And I'm out.
Profile Image for Caelena Fey.
61 reviews5 followers
May 28, 2020
If you like Three Mages and a Margarita by Annette Marie, you'll probably love this too.

This book comes as a surprise and just make my day. Since this is not my first book from this author, I'm so glad it exceed my expectation

In the beginning I noticed that they both have a lot in common, like : red haired heroine who is looking for job, bounty hunter, group of guys who want to protect her, and they both are not a reverse hareem. They have the same feels, that's why i bother mention it. Both authors are also such a fantastic compelling writter.

The setting in this book is urban, after the veils between fairy's world and human collapse, and fairy decide not to hide anymore. I appreciate that bounty hunter job in here is not really killing the creatures, but they more focused on keeping peace between the world by sending the creatures back to the fairy's world if the did a crime in human world. I love the characters, the adventure, romance and the mystery.

Jesse James

My only complain is why the cliff hunger? I can't wait to get my hands on next book to see them together.
Profile Image for Nathalie*.
644 reviews25 followers
February 24, 2022
Wow !!! So good! All the characters I’m in love with! The detail..the story, the main character WOW I loved this book! The 5 guys 💕💕💕 the ending I CANT WAIT!!!

Reread .. such good story telling .. this story sucks u in .. so good 💕💕

10 stars !!!! 5 doesn’t do it justice … it’s so good Jesse James it such a good character she’s sassy Uber smart, loyal .. love all the guys .. great plot great story
Profile Image for Asteria.
156 reviews7 followers
May 22, 2021
Rating: **4.6 stars**

What a simple yet an engrossing read. I am honestly a sucker for the "normal turning out to be someone extraordinary" formula in paranormal romances. The author did an amazing job of this overused trope and wrote an engaging and well panned out story.

The romantic aspect was very less in the book, it was more centred around the FL's adventures as a bounty hunter and her being an absolute badass. I really liked her go getter attitude. Nothing about her missions were repetitive, they were entertaining and absorbing to read about.

The ML was caring and supportive but did not feature much besides being a higher one and being of assistance on certain occasions. The leads chemistry was sweet and passable for me. Another highlight were the supporting characters to me and added so much more to the story.
Profile Image for Jess.
398 reviews21 followers
March 9, 2021
I enjoyed this! Very straightforward YA, I am obviously not the target group and have some minor quibbles but this is a fun Fae story and I do like capable heroines no matter the age. Sure, Jesse James was maybe a biiiit too Mary Sue-adjacent at times but I have read far worse YA heroine characterization and she does have a good head in her shoulders. Onward to the next in the series!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 547 reviews