Jump to ratings and reviews
Becoming Miss Knight is no easy task, but surrender is not an option.

Alice Knight’s debut is in less than a year, and everything has to be perfect. Of course, she’d rather be riding her horse or playing with her younger siblings than learning to curtsy. But, with her mother in France for a holiday, the care of the house falls to her—and what better time to learn what it really means to be a lady?

Ivy, her twin sister, has other things on her mind. Namely, the endless conundrum of why she promised to keep an eye on her younger siblings while her parents are gone. She’s the least-qualified person to take care of them, but, bound by her word, she’s determined to try.

Even with all the guidance and advice available, becoming Miss Knight isn’t proving to be easy for either of them. However, any amount of work is worth keeping a promise to their mother.

This short novella, set between Ivy Introspective and At Her Fingertips, is the second Alice & Ivy novella.

Kindle Edition

Published January 23, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kellyn Roth

24 books898 followers
Kellyn Roth is a historical romance & women’s fiction author who writes about the empty places where hope has the most room to grow. Her novels include the inspirational Victorian family saga, The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy, and the Kees & Colliers series, which follows a broken family in the tumultuous years of the first half of the 20th century.

Kellyn is a student of the Author Conservatory and a writing coach. When not building her author career or her indie-author-helping business, Wild Blue Wonder Press, she is likely getting lost somewhere in the Pacific Northwest with her friends, watching period dramas and facetious comedies, or spending time with her husband.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
1 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for H.S. Kylian.
Author 5 books11 followers
January 29, 2021
This is a nice story about Alice and Ivy growing up. It’s also got some good advice on marriage. Wish it was longer…

It also alludes to the plot twist of The Dressmaker’s Secret, but steers clear of spoiler territory, so it’s safe to read even if you haven’t read TDS.

Anyway, I’ve got to finish up II and then wait impatiently for the next one to be re-released. Argh…
Profile Image for Grace Johnson.
Author 13 books295 followers
March 24, 2021
Yes, it’s short. What do you expect from a 14k novella intended to bridge the gap between two full-length novels?

Probably not much, I’d wager, but Becoming Miss Knight will likely exceed those expectations!

I think I actually like this short novella better than the last two novels—probably because of how concise it was, but I’m not really certain. I just know that Kellyn Roth did a fantastic job at capturing a few days in the lives of Alice and Ivy, turning everyday moments into a fun story!

We get to see Alice and Ivy all grown up—in their late teens, Ivy home from McCale House and Alice preparing for her first Season. I love the way Roth transitioned the characters from children (with their curiosities and misunderstandings) to mature young women focused on their futures. Their personalities and thought processes remained the same, but they were older, wiser (well, that one’s debatable), and stronger.

Believe it or not, I might like Ivy a wee bit better than Alice, so it was great to see them both at one time! Ivy’s struggles are so real and well portrayed, and Alice is fast becoming a memorable character. This novella serves as a precursor to everything that takes place in Book 3, At Her Fingertips, so having this foundation is really wonderful. It brought up the subject of a certain someone’s parentage again, which lays the groundwork for a very important conversation that will hopefully take place in the next book.

I very much enjoyed BMK. I breezed right through it, mostly because of its length (or lack of), but also because of how captivating it was with only a few thousand words! I’m now looking forward to At Her Fingertips even more!

Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. All the opinions stated above are my own.
Profile Image for Katja Labonté.
2,277 reviews129 followers
December 22, 2021
5+ stars & 6/10 hearts. So, God made me read this just at the right time. It's a teeny story but I needed the message. Ivy’s message, specifically. But Alice’s was also VERY good. I really enjoyed seeing Ivy and Alice grown up, or basically, and the kids too. And I am SO eager for At Her Fingertips !!

A Favourite Quote: “‘Asking you to not fear is unreasonable, but I ask you to trust and to believe that God has a plan for you. He does, and it’s a wonderful plan. For now, your part is living faithfully in every minute.’”
A Favourite Humorous Quote: “Caleb hopped up onto Alice’s bed at five in the morning and insisted that she play with him despite it being, well, five in the morning. Usually Alice didn’t mind getting up early, as that allowed her to fit in a horse ride before breakfast. However, five was a bit much, even for her[.]”

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author for promotional purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.*
Profile Image for SawyerMarie.
29 reviews
July 2, 2021
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wonderful book! Once again, Kellyn’s writing comes to life.
I love Roth's The Dressmakers Secret and Ivy Introspective more, but I still love this book and the plot! 😄
Profile Image for Natalie Claire.
90 reviews8 followers
February 9, 2021
Okay, I somehow forgot to mark that I read this, but I did. And I really enjoyed it. 😊
I hope to read it again so I can provide a better review, but for now I will just say that it was an enjoyable read and I recommend it to readers of all ages.
Profile Image for Tara Savanna.
145 reviews14 followers
February 15, 2021
I really enjoyed this continuation of Alice and Ivy’s stories. I felt that this story revealed even more of each sister’s personality and character and I enjoyed getting to know them better.

Both girls, now 17, are trying to find themselves as they attempt to be more involved in their day-to-day family household while their parents are taking some time away. Alice’s thoughts are filled with the desire to live up to everyone’s expectations while trying to remain true to herself. Ivy continues to try to connect with others—to be a good big sister—with thoughts that are very musical in description. (Which I LOVED!) Ivy also shines in a situation where she handles it in perfect Ivy fashion, instead of attempting to handle it as someone else would.

The writing style Miss Roth used here is very reminiscent to me of Jane Austen’s novels. I found myself easily immersed in the time period and loving the quality of language used.

*I received a complimentary copy from the author in hopes of an honest review. I was not obligated to leave a positive review. Thoughts and opinions expressed are mine alone.
Profile Image for E.B. Roshan.
Author 8 books48 followers
March 3, 2021
The name of Kellyn Roth as an up-and-coming Christian author of historical romances has been floating around in my brain for some time, so I was delighted to get the opportunity to read some of her work.
Becoming Miss Knight is actually just a novella, light on plot and action, but filled with intriguing insights into the minds and struggles of two very different young ladies, Alice, (the Miss Knight of the title) and her younger sister, Ivy. Alice's "Husband List" made me smile, and Ivy's well-intentioned, (though muddy) attempts to manage her passel of small siblings brought back memories of similar events in my growing-up years. Though I hadn't previously met Alice or Ivy via one of the author's full-length novels, I still really enjoyed this little novella featuring them. And that says a lot for the author's character-development skill.
I received a free copy of Becoming Miss Knight in exchange for an honest review. Now I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing the upcoming full-length novel, "At Her Fingertips."
Profile Image for E.C..
Author 1 book72 followers
February 19, 2021
Becoming Miss Knight was a short read I was able to finish in one sitting.

I haven't read The Dressmaker's Secret or Ivy Introspective before, so I was coming into this novella with no context at all. However, the author's voice pulled me into the story, and the characters' personalities were very vivid to me. Though it was short, this book was filled with little moments that I really loved (and Nettie is officially my favorite character ;)).

Reading this novella and being introduced to the characters and setting really made me want to read the other books in the series.

Overall, a fun, short read with meaningful lessons and memorable characters.
Profile Image for Sarah.
189 reviews14 followers
April 23, 2021
Very nice addition to The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy!
I enjoyed getting a little glimpse of what shaped who Alice and Ivy are in later books.
Very pleasant. (Yay for Nettie and all her great advice <3)
Profile Image for Ryana Lynn Peterson.
54 reviews26 followers
September 3, 2022
My Review || Becoming Miss Knight

Recommended for 12+ 🎀|| Content Meter: 5/5 🎀|| Quality Meter: 10/10 🎀|| Personal Enjoyment: 10 🎀|| Overall: 10/10 🎀

The Story || This story was so cute! It's the perfect bridge between book 2 and book 3! I love getting to know all the littles better and seeing Ivy grow into a young woman. Tbh, you need this book so her maturity in book 3 makes sense. And it does! The story is one of my favorites and only increases my interest in the rest of the stories!🎀

The Aesthetic || This is a fast paced book! Dinner parties, honeymoons, mud balls and rain storms; galleries, music, baby gowns and muddy boots; notes, ink wells and qualification lists...🎀

The Writing || As always, the writing is superb! I'm in awe of how well Kellyn writes and I hope some day I can match her talent!🎀

The Vibe || This is a coming of age story; a book of tears of feeling inadequate, surrendering dreams and learning the way; it's loving children, learning to handle the mud wars, coping with people and struggling with that ever looming question of who one must marry...🎀

The Content || N/A
Profile Image for Clarissa Choo.
Author 1 book17 followers
Read
June 1, 2021
Although this was my first story to read from Alice and Ivy, I had a good sense of who the characters were.

Becoming Miss Knight meaningfully incorporated marriage advice and identity insecurities. Despite the messages’ simplicity, the characters and plot made them the main dish instead of diminishing them to sides, which I preferred.

Overall, this story was pleasant and enjoyable with a touch of humor.

(I received a free copy of the story in exchange for an honest review. A positive review was not required.)
Profile Image for Jane.
866 reviews16 followers
January 18, 2021
Becoming Miss Knight is a novella by Kellyn Roth that comes between book 2 and 3 of The Chronicles of Alice & Ivy. This little book is great for an afternoon read. Roth shows a little character development in both Alice and Ivy as they take a more supervisory role in the family when Mama and Papa take a month-long trip. They both learn a little bit about themselves and their relationship to God.
Becoming Miss Knight could easily be read as a stand alone novella. If you are reading the whole series, Becoming Miss Knight comes after book 2 and it may be helpful to read The Chronicles of Alice & Ivy books in order.
Becoming Miss Knight is more of an adult novella but it would be appropriate for a K-12 Christian school library. Some middle schoolers and older may be interested in it.
I received a complimentary copy of Becoming Miss Knight as part of Kellyn Roth’s launch team.
Profile Image for Jenavieve Rose.
Author 0 books13 followers
January 23, 2021
This was such a wonderful novella. I greatly enjoyed watching Alice and Ivy navigating their new role with their parents off on holiday. Nettie was a pure delight and I loved her wisdom. And, of course, I adored the cute kiddos who quickly stole whichever scene they were in. *I received a complimentary copy of Becoming Miss Knight as a part of Kellyn Roth's launch team and provided my honest opinion, all thoughts are my own.*
Profile Image for Marguerite Gray.
Author 10 books492 followers
February 3, 2021
In this beautiful novella, the two young girls from the first two books are becoming young ladies on the brink of their adult selves. A few secrets remain from their parents' past that could alter their courses.

I love the continuation of the Knight family in the addition of more children. I will not divulge any plot designs. I am intrigued with the character growth of Mrs. Knight and Nettie. Don't time and the years have a way of developing depth in all of us? If only we'd learn from our past and choose to take lessons to heart.

I look forward to following Alice and Ivy in the next novel. Bravo, again, for this installment.
Profile Image for Joleen.
2,005 reviews1,210 followers
February 18, 2022
Sweet little story between books two and three of The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy giving the reader a bit of the history of Alice and Ivy as teenagers.

Two main themes are:
God is not the author of fear, and trusting God with your future, rather than your own plans.

Very well done.
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.