Jump to ratings and reviews

It's One of Us

"A heart-stoppingly tense thriller about the price of secrets and the layers behind every marriage." —Ruth Ware, New York Times bestselling author of The Woman In Cabin 10

Everybody lies. Even the ones you think you know best of all . . .

Olivia Bender designs exquisite home interiors that satisfy the most demanding clients. But her own deepest desire can’t be fulfilled by marble counters or the perfect rug. She desperately  wants to be a mother. Fertility treatments and IVF keep failing. And just when she feels she’s at her lowest point, the police deliver shocking news to Olivia and her husband, Park.

DNA results show that the prime suspect in a murder investigation is Park’s son. Olivia is relieved, knowing this is a mistake. Despite their desire, the Benders don’t have any children. Then comes the confession. Many years ago, Park donated sperm to a clinic. He has no idea how many times it was sold—or how many children he has sired.

As the murder investigation goes deeper, more terrible truths come to light. With every revelation, Olivia must face the unthinkable. The man she married has fathered a killer. But can she hold that against him when she keeps such dark secrets of her own?

This twisting, emotionally layered thriller explores the lies we tell to keep a marriage together--or break each other apart . . .

400 pages, Hardcover

Expected publication February 28, 2023

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.T. Ellison

72 books4,713 followers
J.T. Ellison is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than 25 novels, and the EMMY® award winning co-host of the literary TV show A WORD ON WORDS. She also writes urban fantasy under the pen name Joss Walker.

With millions of books in print, her work has won critical acclaim and prestigious awards They have also been optioned for television, and published in 28 countries.

J.T. lives in Nashville with her husband and twin kittens, where she is hard at work on her next novel.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (<1%)
1 star
4 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews
Profile Image for Dennis.
723 reviews1,384 followers
January 13, 2023
3.5 stars.

TRIGGER WARNING: I normally do not post trigger warnings, but this book takes place within an extreme infertility emotional environment. I want to make sure to make that clear before I get started.

JT Ellison is an auto-read author, so I was really excited to pick up her latest book, IT'S ONE OF US! This book mainly features Olivia Bender and her husband Park. After DNA links Olivia's husband to a murder, the couple finds out that Park has fathered a child that is possibly the culprit. However, Park and Olivia are currently struggling to get pregnant and start a family of their own. When Park admits to donating sperm in his early 20s, the couple questions if there's any other children that have resulted from Park's donation. What can the couple expect to happen now that they know he has fathered a murderer?

This book is less mystery and more social commentary now that I think about it. I was able to quickly guess the killer and the ending, but the story really dives into the struggles of infertility. This story can be triggering at times, so just please be careful with this one if this is a trigger for you. I love all JT Ellison's books, no matter the story itself, because she's such a talented author. Although this mystery was a bit more predictable than I would've liked, I still ultimately enjoyed it and will continue to read ANYTHING JT Ellison writes for us mystery / thriller readers.
Profile Image for James.
Author 17 books3,482 followers
January 3, 2023
It's One of Us, the latest thriller from JT Ellison, was a great read. Focused on a couple unsuccessfully trying to have a baby, they learn the husband has a son from a long ago circumstance, and that son is the likely killer of a woman who went missing weeks earlier. As the story unfolds, we learn there are several murders, and one from two decades earlier may have been solved incorrectly. Plus, the father of the killer has lots of other children out there (unknowingly) who have relationships with each other online. Scary and freaky, but a terrific plot device that offers tons of twists and turns. I liked the major twist at the end but it happened too quickly and a few pieces were left open-ended. Perhaps a sequel? All in all, definitely another wild ride I'd recommend from the author.
Profile Image for emily • emilybookedup.
291 reviews2,255 followers
January 19, 2023
JT Ellison is back!! the author of HER DARK LIES and GOOD GIRLS LIE returns with a domestic suspense/family drama thriller in February and it sure packs a punch!

the most important thing to know going into this book is that it deals with very emotional situations with fertility and pregnancy. the author’s note makes it very clear why she has written this story and it made my heart swell 🥹

with that said, this thriller tackles a new topic i’ve never seen talked about in books i’ve read—the ethical side to sperm donations. one of the MC’s donated to a sperm clinic years ago and comes to find a shocking revelation about how many times it was sold and how many children he has sired 😳🤯🫢 and that his “son’s” DNA is linked to a murder case.

this book is VERY plot heavy, there is soooo much going on that i took notes so i wouldn’t forget all the details! it also has numerous POVs—maybe 5 or 6 if not more. i loved that part because it allowed you to really get a feel for each character, their motives and their secrets. and BOY OH BOY does every character have a secret 👀👀👀

this was such a fun read! i think some of it could have been cut out as it was a lot of side plots to digest at once and it was also rather long (almost 400 pages) but other than that, i enjoyed the chaotic ride!!

thank you to MIRA and HTP Books for the #gifted early copy. this is out 2/21!
Profile Image for Danielle B.
715 reviews79 followers
October 13, 2022
Olivia and her husband, Park, have been trying to have a child but Olivia has had several miscarriages. One day they get a knock on the door that links Park's DNA to a murder, it may not be his DNA directly, but that of a child he had. The thing is they have no children together. Olivia learns that Park donated his sperm while attending graduate school and now has 28 children. Who is the child committing these crimes?

Wow, this was a wild story! Each chapter has a different point of view from the characters and one is from murderer himself. IT'S ONE OF US had me on the edge of seat. I have never read anything quite like this book, so for me it gets all 5 stars. Brilliant in every way!! I would highly recommend IT'S ONE OF US and I will be telling all my friends about it.

TW: Infertility/Miscarriage

Many thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted on my Instagram (@coffee.break.book.reviews) in the near future.
Profile Image for Chelsea | thrillerbookbabe.
475 reviews538 followers
December 26, 2022
Thank you to Park Row Books and JT Ellison for my copy of It’s One of Us! It was highly anticipated by one of my favorite writers. The book was about Olivia, a home designer who just wants to have a baby. She has tried IVF multiple times and thinks she hit rock bottom. Then the police show up and accuse her husband Park of being the father of a murder suspect. Olivia knows it’s a mistake…until she finds out it isn’t. Park has not been entirely truthful, and when his secrets combine with Olivia’s, will it hurt or help the murder investigation?

Thoughts: This book was so full of twists and I loved it. The DNA and sperm donor aspect was so interesting and unique. There was a huge trigger warning for infertility and pregnancy loss, which I knew going in, but there were some parts that were hard to read. The different chapters and perspectives made the story so interesting and we got lots of new and interesting information. I liked all the perspectives the same, which rarely happens for me so that was a lot of fun.

This is a thriller but has a lot more emotional depth to it than your average story. She is a great writer and the author’s note at the end was super personal and added a lot to the story for me. There were lots of twists and the ending was a lot of fun. 4.5 stars for this great and mysterious story!
Profile Image for Patti Callahan.
Author 13 books3,436 followers
October 30, 2022

It’s One of Us is an emotional and thrilling psychological journey through the shadows of the human heart. Just when you think you know what’s coming, prepare to gasp with each new revelation. Through multiple fascinating points of view, layers of secrets, lies, love and loss are revealed. I did not put this book down until the last unexpected and breathless page. Unpredictable, intense and riveting, J. T. Ellison is at her heart-stopping best.
Profile Image for Amy.
1,799 reviews1,854 followers
January 17, 2023
Ok this one was pretty damn good. I loved the premise, DNA stuff always fascinates me and I cannot imagine police knocking on my door and then informing me that my husband is the father of a murder suspect. I mean, EXCUSE ME? So I was hooked from the start and that little tidbit was just the tip of the iceberg as far as secrets go. You get a bunch of different viewpoints that really helped to keep things moving along at a rapid pace and as much as the mystery part of it intrigued me, I did predict it. BUT that was ok because this was more than just a mystery, it had an emotional component that really worked for me. Speaking of the emotional part, this book has major triggers for all things infertility so keep that in mind before reading it. The authors note was actually really touching and special and gave me a whole new perspective on the story so don’t miss that in the end. A solid thriller for me for sure.
Profile Image for Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews.
1,031 reviews1,359 followers
December 21, 2022
FULL REVIEW WILL BE ON FEBRUARY 25.

A WOW read with a GREAT title!!

Olivia desperately wants a baby, but it always ends in a miscarriage.

When a dead body is found and DNA at the scene links the killer to her husband, many questions get asked.

The main question being: Did you KNOW you had a child?

All of this leads to lots of drama, secrets, surprises, and intense situations that keep you on the edge of your seat.

Another excellent read for fans of J. T. Ellison. 5/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kristy.
987 reviews139 followers
January 6, 2023
I know that I can always count on J.T. Ellison for a suspenseful tale! IT'S ONE OF US did not disappoint. Olivia Bender's life is ruled by fertility treatments. She and her husband, Park, have gone through multiple rounds of IUI/IVF, but even when Olivia gets pregnant, she cannot seem to keep the babies. She feels like a complete failure and is convinced she's letting Park down by depriving him of what he wants most. Then the police show up at their door with some shocking news: DNA in a murder investigation has been traced back to Park... well, Park's son. Ummm, what? Reluctantly, Park reveals he donated sperm years ago. We soon learn that the clinic was lax in its policies, and no one is exactly sure how many children Park has. Olivia feels betrayed and devastated--and as the secrets continue to be revealed, they must face that fact that one of Park's "children" is out there doing unspeakable things.

Oh boy, this is a juicy one! First, you have to go in and read IT'S ONE OF US with a little bit of a suspension of disbelief, or at least, willingness to go on a wild ride. Not to say the things that happen, couldn't, it's just that, wow, things get a bit crazy!

That's not to say that this book doesn't have some real moments. It does. Because J.T. Ellison writes about infertility and miscarriage (and here's pointing out a big trigger warning for both of those elements) with amazing honesty. She shows the toll it takes on Olivia and how hard it can be on a marriage. You need to read her author's note to understand how she write about this so realistically (and then want to send her about a million hugs like I did). As someone who spent nearly five years trying to have children, this book hit me hard in the feels. Olivia made some crazy choices, but wow, her thoughts about trying to be a mom, how hard it was to see others as parents, and oh my goodness, her insight into losing her babies--that was all so well-done and real. Amazing writing, truly, and it all really added to and fit into the story.

US also delves into sperm donors and how everything can go awry, which is sometimes a touchy subject for me. I am never a huge fan when authors take this route, as it really makes the general public seem to think this is the case for all kids who come into the world this way. However, the scenario in this book is so insane and over-the-top that hopefully people will read it like that.

As for the characters other than Olivia... oh boy! Park is a piece of work, folks. The murder case being investigated is a local woman, who drowned. Park just happens to have a history of being around missing or drowned women. He seems to be a compulsive liar! (But is he a murderer??!!) He has a twin (fraternal) brother whose presence adds a whole bunch of a drama. (There's so much drama here--but in a good way!)

Luckily we hear from other characters too, but I won't go into much detail as I don't want to give away any spoilers. But all the POVs are interesting and give a broad range of insight into what is going down. Because oh yeah, it's going down! There is a tangled web being woven here, folks. Get ready.

Overall, this is a dark and twisty thriller that offers all sorts of insight into family and biological ties, as well as marriage, motherhood, and infertility. It gets a little wild at the end, but it's a fun ride. 4 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Harlequin Publishing/MIRA in return for an unbiased review. Look for US on 2/21/2023!
Profile Image for Barbara Schultz.
2,744 reviews145 followers
Genre: Mystery Thriller
Pub Date: February 28, 2023
My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟+ Stars

This is only my third J.T. Ellison
I really liked Tear me Apart but “Good Girls Lie” was only okay ~ in fact, my comment was ”Will the real J. T. Ellison, please come forward?”
Awww
She sure did in this WOW story!!!!

The blurb on this sounded different and very interesting!

Olivia Bender and her husband, Park, have been trying to have a baby. Fertility treatments and IVF keep failing. Olivia has had several miscarriages.
One day they get a knock on the door; it is the police delivering shocking news. They have Park's DNA and they state it was discovered at Beverly Cooke’s murder scene. Everyone is well aware that Beverly has been missing for months. The police then follow up with the actually DNA and state that it isn’t directly Park’s DNA but that of his child.
This, of course, is very difficult to deal with as Olivia and Park do not have children. Olivia fears the worst of Park
However, Park reveals that while attending graduate school he was a sperm donor; turns out his sperm was used countless times, and he has sired a large number of children.

Story now turns to the children who are having their own DNA tested and are finding out they have many siblings. Beverly Cooke and a group of other women including Darby Flynn who used the sperm bank have a private group.
Darby has two children Scarlett and Peyton both via a sperm donor. Scarlett has always been curious about her father and is one of the children who had her DNA tested and asked to be contacted when other sibling were reached. They discover they are the children of sperm donor Park. They are in secret contact and call themselves ‘The Halves’ - they don’t use their real names and communicate on Discord.
They now realize that the murderer ~ is one of them!
soooo ~
Who is the child committing these crimes?

Story told from multiple POVs
The Husband (Park), The Wife (Olivia), The Detectives (Joey and Osley), The Daughter (Scarlett), The Brother (Perry), The Mother (Darby) and The Murderer!
It appears our murderer has MAO-A (Monoamine oxidase A) which is associated with a variety of psychiatric disorders (although not really accurate is usually known as ‘The ‘Murder Gene’). Reminded me of Defending Jacob.

Story is a page turner I had to force myself to stop last night at bedtime. I tend to read fast when it gets exciting and I then find I have to reread. SO decided I needed a somewhat cool clear head to finishing this story!

I always enjoy reading the author’s note as well as the Acknowledgements ~ usually always gives us readers the inside scoop and the motivation for the story.
In this case, both the Author’s Note and Acknowledgements are stories in themselves.
Ms. Ellison tells us a personal side. Be sure to read!!!

Want to thank NetGalley and Harlequin Trade ~MIRA Books for granted me the pleasure of reading this early WOW uncorrected proof.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for February 28, 2023
Profile Image for theliterateleprechaun.
1,079 reviews30 followers
February 5, 2023
“Love has room for secrets, yes, but not lies.”

First of all, that cover! Right?! Pavement cracks make way for weeds. The Benders soon discover that the cracks in their marriage are allowing the secrets to appear. Secrets they are both keeping from each other.

Secondly, I can’t remember the last domestic suspense I read that was as captivating and as well-paced as this one. This was phenomenal! All the stars and then some!

It all started with a knock on the door….

Now, armed with the news, Olivia Bender has to face the unthinkable: Is the man she married a killer?

DNA doesn’t lie, does it?

You’ll be swept up in Olivia’s turmoil as she discovers that despite being unable to carry a baby to full term after numerous attempts, her husband has allegedly fathered many children…one of which pulls her husband Park into his web of destruction. I walked alongside Olivia as she dealt with the strain on her marriage, her frustration at not being able to have a child, and the possibility that her husband’s past is ruining their future. It made for a compelling yet emotionally draining read.

Ellison’s decision to include multiple points of view works well for this story. It leaves the reader with multiple opportunities to uncover the truth and keeps them guessing until all the pieces of the puzzle are revealed. The twists are fantastic!

Ellison’s ability to take what should be an incredible moment in one’s life - the birth of a child - and twist it into a nightmare, is brilliant.

Most thought-provoking for me was the question Ellison explored surrounding one’s desire to create a family.

“Did they ever stop to think that the children might not be what they wanted? That a child would not heal the emptiness in their soul? That a child might tear a hole in an otherwise perfect life?”

Ellison drives home the revelation that a mistake made in haste in their youth cost both Olivia and Park Bender their entire future. She explores the drive to create a family, obsession, betrayal, infertility, lies of omission, and the fine line between what one considers illegal and unethical.

Two words of caution: (1) this book deals with infertility and (2) stick with the first few pages. The writing style has a purpose!

I was gifted this copy by Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
Profile Image for Stacy40pages.
1,160 reviews73 followers
January 14, 2023
It’s One of Us by JT Ellison. Thanks to @netgalley and @mirabooks @htpbooks for the gifted Arc ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

All Olivia has wanted is a child. After many disappointments, it’s just not happened. Then the police arrive with shocking news.. her husband, Park, fathered a child in the past, and that child is not a suspect for murder. The problem? Which child.

This was a pretty twisty story. I enjoyed the short chapters and different perspectives. Every chapter was looking at a different person in the story. I found them all of equal entertainment. It’s one of those stories where you think you know what’s happening, and then yet another twist comes. TW: infertility is a large part of this story. Be sure to read the author’s note at the end for why.

“There’s no way to keep it quiet. The waves are getting bigger, crashing further up the beach. They will be swept out with the tide if she’s not careful.”

It's One of Us comes out 2/21.
November 22, 2022
This was an excellent thriller that I found impossible to put down. I actually binged the whole book in less than 12 hours (because I had to sleep), and while I was sure I had all the answers early on, the ending left me extremely surprised.

Synopsis: One evening Olivia and her husband, Park, get a knock on their door that changes their lives forever. The police are investigating a local murder and DNA tests reveal the prime suspect to be Park’s son. Despite their desire and years of trying, Olivia and Park do not have any children. With that news comes a confession Park thought would stay hidden forever: he donated his sperm back in graduate school and has no idea how many children he may have.

Thoughts: The pacing of this book was amazing! Told through seven points of view with all relatively short chapters, I was racing through the pages. While this may seem like a lot of perspectives, each one was vital to the story and added the necessary element of suspense to keep you guessing and paint the full picture. A big part of this story deals with infertility and miscarriage. It wasn’t until I read the author’s note and acknowledgments at the end, where she talks about her own infertility struggles, that I understood the true inspiration and motivation for the story. While it is a thriller and the book encompasses all that we expect for this genre, there was an emotional element to it that I really loved and know people will connect with.

Read if you like:
-Whodunit thrillers
-Multiple perspectives and short chapters
-Secrets and lies
-Nature versus nurture debate
-Jar of Hearts

Thank you HTP for the ARC. Pub date: 2/21/23
Profile Image for Amanda’s_Good_Books.
293 reviews27 followers
August 18, 2022
It’s One Of Us
By JT ELLISON
02/29/2023

From the book 📖
Olivia Bender designs exquisite home interiors that satisfy the most demanding clients. But her own deepest desire can’t be fulfilled by marble counters or the perfect rug. She desperately wants to be a mother. Fertility treatments and IVF keep failing. And just when she feels she’s at her lowest point, the police deliver shocking news to Olivia and her husband, Park. DNA results show that the prime suspect in a murder investigation is Park’s son. Despite their desire, the Benders don’t have any children. Then comes the confession. Many years ago, Park donated sperm to a clinic. He has no idea how many times it was sold—or how many children he has sired.
Ps. It’s over 20+. He has super sperm 🧪

From me:👩🏻‍⚕️
This book is crazy insane and I’m not going to delve too much into it since it’s not out for another 6 months. But the chapters are told from diff POVs and I’ve given you a small taste of the characters below;
 The wife - She’s a little naive. But don’t sleep on Olivia Bender. She’s a badass. Just wait.
The husband - he’s questionable. A true narcissist. Always has a good reason why … and somehow you can almost believe him.
The Past - best chapters of the book.
The Daughter - downright genius.
The Mother - she’ll make you say, well damn.
The Detectives - play a great role. You’ll love their interactions.
This is one of those books when you’re reading it you think you’ve guessed it. And the next chapter makes you re-question it all. Def not anything you’ve read before ❤️
5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟s

#addthistoyourtbrasap #jtellison
#itsoneofus #htpinfluencer #harlequinbooks #harlequintradepublishing #thrillerreads #arcbooks #netgalley #netgalleyreader #thrillmereads #bookblogging #bookstagrammer #bookstagram #bookishproblems #igreads #instareads
Profile Image for Cassie’s Reviews.
975 reviews30 followers
January 11, 2023
What a wild and emotional ride!
Olivia and Park have been trying to have a baby, Olivia has suffered many miscarriages and she’s feeling heartbroken. One morning they hear a knock at the door and to their shock it’s the police and they have questions for Park. It seems his DNA was linked to a woman who was found murdered. The catch it’s not his DNA but his sons! Olivia knows this must be a mistake they don’t have any children and she would know if her husband had a son. Park soon reveals that while he was attending graduate school he was a sperm donor; and it turns out his sperm was used countless times, and he now has a large number of children, and it appears that one of them is a serial killer! We soon are introduced to a few of his children, but how is this connected to the woman who are being murdered and why? Olivia and Park find their lives being turned upside down and it’s soon revealed that there are many secrets in this marriage! I truly enjoyed this layered story. I found myself getting emotional at times with Olivia and what she was going through with the loss of children, I have lost and I know it takes a toll emotionally and physically! Thank you for the author for sharing her personal story as well. I truly enjoyed this twisted story!
Profile Image for Sonica.
405 reviews60 followers
January 28, 2023
Another masterpiece by JT Ellison. Review to come
Profile Image for Laura (laurapedenjones).
339 reviews20 followers
January 24, 2023
My new favorite Ellison book. This one kept me guessing and completely invested in the story and the characters, even while more and more layers of secrets were revealed. Ellison has written a multi-layered masterpiece of suspense, betrayal, lies, and murder. The story does deal with the very difficult topic of infertility, which is even more heartbreaking to read the author's very personal journey of infertility in the end papers. It's One of Us is fast-paced, timely, and it provides a unique look at the age old question of whether the murder gene is a real thing that can be passed down through the generations. Fascinating! Also, the ending is genius! I loved it. Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book in exchange for honest feedback.
Profile Image for Michelle Blackburn.
137 reviews2 followers
January 15, 2023
As Olivia and Park’s lives are being upended by another miscarriage, the police stop by and drop a bomb. They are now involved in a murder investigation through no fault of their own. But as more and more things are revealed that have been hidden for years , will they be able to sort through the lies and blame soon enough to save lives?
Profile Image for Vickie.
1,522 reviews30 followers
January 26, 2023
This book was an emotional roller coaster ride for me. I loved the entire ride, but I have to confess that the honesty with which the author deals with the heartbreaking topic of infertility was gut-wrenchingly realistic and a chance to really understand what some of my close friends have gone through. Olivia and Park Bender are trying desperately to have a child when Olivia discovers that Park has fathered children as a sperm donor when he was in college. Not only that, but drum roll for the added dramatic twist, one of his children is a serial killer and has left DNA at a crime scene. Olivia’s world is supposed to be one of order and beauty as she designs home interiors, creating wonderful spaces for happy homes. Instead, her world is instantly an insane combination of reporters, police, distrust of her husband and loss of a dream. The story is told in multiple points of view and although I enjoyed getting into the mind of each character, I identified with and enjoyed Olivia’s POV best. Park was not a favorite character, although he was a devoted husband and wanted to be a father as Olivia wanted to be a mother. The twists that happen in the telling of the intricate web of deceit, murder, infertility and sperm banks was so well written that I was waiting for the documentary credits to roll at the end. I learned from this book as well as being entertained and totally absorbed by the story. The ending was a surprise twist that I didn’t see coming and so good! The fast pace, the mesmerizing topics and the mystery all made this book one of the best books that I have ever read! To leave this book behind would be a travesty. It is haunting in its transparent look at a difficult topic and informative in a way that made me empathetic to friends and to the main character. I would give the book ten stars if possible, five for the writing including the plot and the characters and five more for educating me about infertility in an entertaining yet heart-tugging way. As an added note, if you are a reader who stops reading at the end of the book and doesn’t read dedications, acknowledgements, author’s notes, etc., I recommend that you read all the way to the end, every word on every page and let yourself be caught up in the sacrifice that writing this book must have cost the author.
Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, “Guidelines Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.”
Profile Image for Christina Faris.
242 reviews9 followers
January 25, 2023
TRIGGER WARNING: Pregnancy loss and fertility

Oliva Bender and her husband Park live a seemingly charmed life, from the outside. But the one thing they want most is just out of reach. After a number of fertility treatments and miscarriages, Olivia is heartbroken. When a police officer shows up announcing that DNA results from a recent murder are from Park’s son, Olivia goes from heartbroken to shocked. Park confesses to donating sperm years ago, and finds that he has fathered over 28 donor children. One of those children is a murderer! Can Olivia find it in her broken heart to get passed this, especially when she has some very dark secrets of her own? And just which one of the children is the murderer?

I was a little surprised by how sad this was for a thriller. Oliva’s heartbreak over her fertility treatments and pregnancy losses was palpable throughout most of the story. I can’t imagine living through this pain, but my heart is with anyone who has. This story was told in multiple viewpoints, which was fun to get all the different perspectives. I literally had no idea who the killer was until it was revealed and even then, I was surprised to see the twists and turns the story took from there.

“It’s One of Us” releases February 21, 2023! This review will be shared to my instagram blog (@books_by_the_bottle) shortly.
Profile Image for Melissa (Nissa_the.bookworm).
436 reviews39 followers
January 17, 2023
Thank you to the publishers @htpbooks and @netgalley for this e-ARC of It’s One of Us!

𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔
👥 enjoy multiple POVs
🌪️ love an unexpected twist
👬 have a twin
🎨 like to decorate

• 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄

When a missing woman is discovered at the bottom of the lake, a local man is connected to the killer through a DNA match.

• 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐓’𝐒 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓

Olivia and Park Bender have been trying to have children for years now, but miscarriage after miscarriage has Olivia feeling guilty and alone. When the cops show up early one morning with information pointing to a criminal having ties to Park, Olivia is beyond confused. Told from multiple POVs, It’s One of Us brings each character’s story and lives closer together to finally reveal every truth and lie they’ve been hiding in the dark.

• 𝐌𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒

This was such an intense read, right from the start. I felt so much pain for what Olivia was suffering through with her miscarriages. I also liked the fact that the author threw us right into the story with the murder and the discovery of the body. Park was such an unreliable character, I really didn’t believe or like his POV very much, but the ending had such a twist that I really loved. I also enjoyed how each story connected to another POV at the end of each chapter. It helped me see into everyone’s mind more clearly. The ending left me feeling happy but also frustrated (no spoilers though!)
Profile Image for Cyndi Becker.
1,339 reviews7 followers
January 9, 2023
JT Ellison never fails to deliver. She's one of my favorite thriller authors and always a must read. It's One of Us is among my favorites. The story is so very clever, with a unique premise and surprises in every chapter. There are plenty of interesting and cunning characters to keep your eye on. I Definitely recommend this read.
Profile Image for Maureen Timerman.
2,752 reviews467 followers
December 16, 2022
This is a go to author for a great thriller, and she did not disappoint!
From DNA to infertility, a woman's journey to have a child of her own, and a husband discovering he has over two dozen children.
What a great concept and we are there as the facts unfold, but we are kept on the edge of our seat as bodies turn up, and disturbing happenings develop! Past soon meets the present, but surprises abound, and most I never saw coming!
A must read, you won't be able to put it down!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Harlequin, and was not required to give a positive review.
Profile Image for Beary Into Books.
599 reviews35 followers
October 5, 2022
Rating: 4.5
Author: @thrillerchick
Available: 2/28/23

As soon as I read the synopsis for this book I was immediately intrigued. I thought I knew where the story was going but oh my gosh, was I surprised with the direction it took. The author’s writing style was unique and will draw you in from the first page and hold your interest throughout. I loved that the book was in third person but followed multiple characters as the story was being told. I was never once confused and if anything it helped keep the pace and made the story feel like it was constantly going. By that I mean, there was no repetition and no time spent on waiting since the story then followed a different character who knew more than the characters we originally followed.

Oh my, this book was fantastic and I would definitely recommend it! I hope they make a movie of this one because it’s written perfectly for the screen. I will warn you, it is a longer book but it’s so good! I read it over three days and each day I was excited to keep reading and I never got bored. It’s a book that will make you think and look for little details. I want to say a lot more but you should definitely go into this book blind. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Thank you so much @ for the gifted copy on #netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Amanda (THE CAFFEINATED READER).
291 reviews51 followers
November 17, 2022
Oh my goodness this was a great read!
IT’S ONE OF US by @thrillerchick kept me on my damn toes from beginning to end.

Olivia and Park Bender have the idyllic life in an idyllic home but when the police come knocking one morning linking Park to a recent murder, they have to reckon with things in both of their pasts.

While I’m college Park donated sperm to a bank that was only supposed to use is ten times. He finds about 28 children that have his DNA and one of them is a serial killer.

Olivia is supremely pissed at Park for not telling her, namely because she has fertility issues and just lost another baby. The notion that Park has so many bio children in the world irks her to no end.

Supporting characters include Park’s brother who Olivia once had a fling with, and Park’s sister, also Olivia’s best friend.

The ending to me was bittersweet and SHOCKING!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you so much to @htpbooks & @_mira_books_ for my #gifted book!
Profile Image for Marisha (MarishaReadsALot).
491 reviews32 followers
January 9, 2023
Thank you to NetGalley, MIRA, and J.T. Ellison for the advanced copy of It's One of Us in exchange for my honest review.

My rating is somewhere between 3-3.5 stars for this one.

I'm digging this new era of DNA websites exposing family secrets with chaos ensuing. If done properly, it's incredibly entertaining to me. In Ellison's case, I felt it was executed very well and I was thoroughly entertained.

While the synopsis of this book does mention infertility struggles, there's a very prevalent part of the story that I felt wholly unprepared for and I would strongly suggest the publisher try to add some sort of content warning. I know some people view triggers and content warnings spoilers, so I will wrap my commentary on this in spoiler text. I will not give any of the other plot details away!

There were a lot of twists and turns in this one that I enjoyed, a couple that I could have done without, and the ending was just... not it for me. Ultimately I really enjoy Ellison's books so I will happily continue reading everything she writes!

It's One of Us will be on US bookshelves February 21.
Profile Image for Melissa.
325 reviews9 followers
January 7, 2023
I just finished J.T. Ellison's IT'S ONE OF US while lounging with 2 sleeping dogs on me and this serene setting utterly contrasts the turmoil of the last few pages that I read!

This is a domestic suspense/thriller that kept me so engaged and staying up way too late turning pages.

Olivia is a woman who just cannot stay pregnant, despite all the efforts she goes through. It is devastating and happening again, when police come to her door with even more horrifying news that her husband, Park has a DNA connection to a recent murder. Unbeknownst to Olivia, Park donated sperm years ago and has a son who is implicated in this crime. Apparently, he has been the donor to a large group of children, some of who are connecting online.

As the investigation continues, Olivia is forced to process her grief, once again, and also to consider a new future; is her husband really who he seems?

This is a very good mystery story with layers of sensitive issues dealing with infertility. To calm anxious readers about this, Olivia's story is rooted in the author's experiences, and felt extremely raw and real. It is not an tool used by someone who doesn't get it, but rather a glimpse into a very real and heartbreaking perspective. That said, if this is a tender time of relating too closely, you may want to evaluate if it is the right moment to pick this up.

The mystery itself was taut with steady tension even inside the character development. I thought it was done very well. I didn't particularly care for one aspect of the plot, but that's being picky and I can't say what it is to avoid spoilers! There were so many directions this could have taken and it wasn't until the last few chapters that I gasped in realization! I was so sure about that red herring...

I want to thank Mira Books, Harlequin and NetGalley for this ARC. It was a fantastic domestic thriller with a sensitive subject that helped me gain insight. This title will be available on February 21st and should absolutely be on your TBR Wishlist!

And now I love fireflies even more.💞
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.